VAR Management - Advanced Searching, Filtering, and Bulk Actions could be done using Tags

Codepwned

Reactions
Like many users, I struggle with the sheer number of VARs I have but I really down want to download a third party app to do so.

Currently, we only have the ability to "hide/favorite" vars and it makes me sad. VAM could be so much more better.

The concept of using tags could solve 99% of the issues with Searching and Filtering. It also adds the possibility of doing Bulk Actions.

In a perfect world, there would be two types of tags:
- System tags (things we can't edit/delete) - The kind tied to system actions (and advanced searching)
- Custom Tags (add/edit/delete) - The kind tied to advanced searching

Here are some use cases:
- Ability to EXPORT a list of all vars tagged with X and their directory paths (JSON is fine).
- Ability to run advanced searches "Show me only items tagged with X, but not Y".
- Tag VARS for deletion. This opens the possibility of being able to check if any untagged VARS would have dependency issues prior to deletion. Also, bulk deletion
- Tag VARS with CANTDELETE. Basically, you can't delete it until you remove that tag.
- Tag VARS for archive. This opens the possibility of being able to move VARS in and out an archive directory that isn't regularly scanned. Aka, bulk action
- Tag VARS that aren't working for you but you don't want to delete yet.
- Tag VARS that you do not want to load when using VR Mode (Looking at you PostMagic)
- Tag VARS with various custom tags to help organize and filter things in general

Important Note:
To avoid abuse, if tagging is expanded to allow creators to pre-tag their VARs, we should be able to search those independently from our own. Think a completely seperate advanced search field.

Additional use case
There are a slew of VARS I wish I could mark as "Do not download" on the HUB. I won't use the built in feature to auto download missing vars specifically due to that.

Thanks for all your work and I'm happy to better describe this if you need.

Back
Top Bottom