VAR package system problems - a case study

amaimon

Reactions
In another thread I mentioned my tool to resolve missing dependencies by copying packages and loose files from another directory ("repo").

So I've made an experiment. I've prepared a clean copy of VAM and then copied a few of my very basic scenes and looks into it and then ran my tool against this installation. Again - mind that my tool fills copies a file or VAR from another directory, if they are referenced in JSON files and nowhere to be found in main game directory. It can extract missing files from repo VAR, but for this experiment I stickled to copying whole VAR instead, to see what happens.

So - what do you think, how many VARs are required for a few scenes with basic light sources and 50 looks?

Well - a few... short of 600, about 80 GB. But that was only the first run! Obviously, these 500-something new VARs have their own dependencies, very often not mentioned in dependencies manifest, so if I run my application again and again (copying whole VARs instead of just extracting files from them), I'm pretty sure sooner or later ALL VARs from my repo directory will end up in game directory, as they will be a cascade of requirements that goes to each one of my VARs.

So if I instead just extracted missing resources from these VARs, I would have much smaller installation and all my looks and scenes would have no missing references. If I copy whole VARs, the dependencies will keep stacking up deeper and deeper, cluttering my disk, and even then there would be some missing references.

For me the choice is obvious - keep only "utility" VARs (such as Timeline, BodyBundle, TittyMagic) and extract loose files from absolutely everything else.

Last edited:
In second part of experiment I took exactly the same looks and saves and resolved the dependencies by just extracting required hair, clothing, morphs etc from VARs. 3.5 GB of data was extracted. No missing dependencies. Lightning fast installation.

Back
Top Bottom