Question User Preferences Not Saving

Reactions
any idea why when i make changes to my user preferences and exit the program they are reverting back to the previous settings when i reload the program? i have another version of VAM in the same location on my computer and i can change those user preferences fine.

I hope you mean by "same location" a different folder in the same partition, not the same folder, because that would just overwrite the other one.
What folder is that, by the way?

Upvote 0
I hope you mean by "same location" a different folder in the same partition, not the same folder, because that would just overwrite the other one.
What folder is that, by the way?
I have my VAM folder here - C:\Users\Username\Videos\Games\VAM

I also have a second VAM folder here - C:\Users\Username\Videos\Games\VAM_New

I am able to successfully make and keep any user preference changes in the "New" version of the program, but not in the first.

Upvote 0
As suspected. Do not place VaM in a special folder like that one, it will cause problems. This warning is mentioned in the Patreon post from where you downloaded vam_updater.exe.
Move somewhere like C:\VaM, or another partition if you have one, and run a core check (vam_updater.exe).

Upvote 0
As suspected. Do not place VaM in a special folder like that one, it will cause problems. This warning is mentioned in the Patreon post from where you downloaded vam_updater.exe.
Move somewhere like C:\VaM, or another partition if you have one, and run a core check (vam_updater.exe).
i did all you recommended and the user preferences still aren't sticking. when you change a user preference and exit the program, they should automatically save, correct?

Upvote 0
Yes, that's usually the case. The file is prefs.json, maybe you can edit it manually instead if it's not updating properly.
Could still be because of weird permissions it may have gotten when in that folder. Or try removing the file and see if it's created again when you run VaM.

Upvote 0
In windows explorer, right click on the Vam directory and select "properties". At the bottom, if the "read only" box is active, that's the problem.
Vam doesn't have permission to save your preferences.

I don't know anything else that would cause this issue.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom