Question User preferences not being saved

Luna

Reactions
Hey, I've changed multiple preferences in the performance and vr tabs, but they aren't being saved after closing Vam. I've tried closing via the top right X and the internal shutdown button. I also don't see an actual save button anywhere. Anyone know whatsup?

Edit: I'm using most recent vam version and have also done a repair/check.

That is strange. Are you sure you don't have your VaM folder on a drive with write protection or user right restrictions?
I usually close VaM even by killing it brutally from the SteamVR overlay, so this can't be the cause.
In Windows most programms installed on drive c: will need admin rights. Except from those being in C:\users\yourname\ ... for instance.
Maybe try to run VaM with admin rights or move it to another drive.
The file where the preferences are being stored is "prefs.json". You maybe want to check this file if it is write protected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As TToby says, likely some issue with VaM not being able to write the settings file.

Maybe try to run VaM with admin rights
I would strongly recommend to not ever run VaM with admin rights or from a user who as admin rights. VaM can run arbitary code in form of plugins, which can be a very dangerous combination when having admin rights. Just use a regular user account and put VaM in a folder where that user has read/write rights.

Upvote 0
As TToby says, likely some issue with VaM not being able to write the settings file.

I would strongly recommend to not ever run VaM with admin rights or from a user who as admin rights. VaM can run arbitary code in form of plugins, which can be a very dangerous combination when having admin rights. Just use a regular user account and put VaM in a folder where that user has read/write rights.

Absolutely! Safety first! My somewhat missunderstandable suggestion should have been to shortly run VaM one time as Admin to see if this is the cause of the issue. Sorry for that. After VaM become this popular, the potential danger from malignant plugin code is a real threat. Best IMHO would be to move VaM to a new drive or partition... just to assume that this is indeed the cause for the OP's issue.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I tested some things out. I checked out the prefs.json file and did some VaM start ups to see if it and when it changes (opened in notepad++ with hot reload). Read/write rights was not the issue, the file could be wrote to. I also see settings changing in the file instantly when I change the preferences in VaM. When I shut down VaM (either shutdown button or hard close or alt+f4), the new settings remain saved in the prefs.json, so that's good.

However, when I startup VaM again, it immediately changes the settings back to the old ones. I did a hard reset and default settings reset of VaM, still the same issue. Cleared and disabled caching, still the same. Temporarely removed all my addons and saves to do a clean startup. Still the same issue. It's quite strange, since when I change the settings in VaM, I would reckon the old settings are simply 'gone'. I'm not sure why it defaults back to the old ones. Especially because the aren't 'normal default settings'. E.g. render res was at 0.9.

Anyway, I kind of gave up and just did a full clean install of VaM. This kind of forced me to cleanup all my saves and addons anyway (been postponing that xD), so thats good I guess. Well, it solved the problem. Everything workes properly now. Still boggles my mind though.

Nevertheless thanks for the help. And yes indeed, for future readers, don't start VaM with admin rights if you're running custom scripts!

Upvote 0
Maybe some plugin that sets UserPrefs on launch?
I had tried resetting all plugin defaults to nothing and even removed all the scripts and plugins from the Custom and Addon folders, but the issue remained. The only thing I can think of is that the core code of VaM got altered somehow, since the problem persisted with a complete reset & cleanup of all of VaM. I don't remember actually altering those pieces of code though, so it might just be a bug. Nothing really gamebreaking though, so I reckon the devs shouldn't really be concerned about it. Especially with 2.0 coming up 🥰

Upvote 0
It's like I always said: there are gremlins in VaM, doing some strange stuff sometimes.
I had some other of those unexplainable issues, too. Just yesterday, for instance: removing some potentially bad morphs, my issue was gone! After that, copy them all back in, issue still gone. ;)

Upvote 0
GUYS I found out the issue, the session plugin " GiveMeFPS " caused that, as soon as I deleted the plugin the issue solve.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom