Question Too many closing brackets

HaiiiHarrr

Reactions
!> Exception during process of meta.json from package S95.JennaFuta.2: System.Exception: JSON Parse: Too many closing brackets
at SimpleJSON.JSONNode.Parse (System.String aJSON) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimpleJSON.JSON.Parse (System.String aJSON) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MVR.FileManagement.VarPackage.LoadMetaData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can I fix this by opening the .var, go to the meta json and try and "count" the brackets and remove the ones that seem excessive?

Or can e.g. notepad ++ help me to identify the bad brackets?

Edit: has 21 "{" and 23 "}", now let's find the ones not matching up...

Last edited:
Should be fixable IF only the brackets are messed up and nothing important was deleted.
A text editor that can highlight matching bracket pairs helps. Visual Studio does this or Sublime.
Have not used Notepad++ a long time. So my info may be outdated ...
If I remember correct it did required some sort of extension/plugin to highlight the syntax or various formats (json?) or code languages.

Or you repack the content with the VaM package builder to get a clean meta.json.

Upvote 0
Ah, I guess I'll try the package builder first before I keep tinkering around.

While trying to fix the original file might have done something to it, it seems like the order I wanted to connect them is wrong and now I get a new set of error messages.

Upvote 0
well, I think I found a much easier solution: Deleting this .var as well as the one .var file that was using it seemed to have fixed the error reports.

Upvote 0
!> Exception during process of meta.json from package S95.JennaFuta.2: System.Exception: JSON Parse: Too many closing brackets
at SimpleJSON.JSONNode.Parse (System.String aJSON) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SimpleJSON.JSON.Parse (System.String aJSON) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MVR.FileManagement.VarPackage.LoadMetaData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can I fix this by opening the .var, go to the meta json and try and "count" the brackets and remove the ones that seem excessive?

Or can e.g. notepad ++ help me to identify the bad brackets?

Edit: has 21 "{" and 23 "}", now let's find the ones not matching up...

"Can you fix this manually?"

Yes ... little (!!!) bit fiddly, though.

What you want to do is:

1) Get a good editor with suitable (for JSON) plugins.
- For smaller fiddly-stuff like this, Notpad++ suffices. I recommend the "Brackets" plugin (just search the available plugins list for "brackets" or smth)
- For more extensive work with json files, I can recommend the VScode editor (personally, I just installed every json-related plugin ;))

Note: The most frequent json-related errors are:
* Mismatched brackets
* Missing End-of-line commas - most likely in the "Contents" field. Every line EXCEPT FOR THE LAST LINE has to end with a comma. The last line MUST NOT end with a comma.

Frequently, those are the result of copy-paste mistakes during manual edits. There are also online json-parsers that can be helpful figuring out what mistake exactly is giving VaM hickups.

2) Re-zipping the .var

Personally, I use 7-zip, so the following is for 7-zip:
* Select the respective files & folders (Saves, Custom and meta.json).
* Right-click > "7-Zip" > "Add to archive"
* In the dialog that pops up, you see a line with the archive-name, bring that into VaM-compatible form (creatorname.packagename.versionnumber.var), By default, the ending is probably ".zip" -> replace that with ".var"
* Below that line with the archivename, you see "Archive Format" - has to be "Zip"
* Below that, there's "Compression Level" - has to be "Fastest"

All the other options, you leave at default.

Hope that helps!

P.S.: If you have more questions, feel free to ask, also via PM!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom