Some weeks ago I had the heartbreaking decision to once again install Windows to do VR VAM, as I was having several issues with VR on archlinux. I couldn't find a way to resolve those, and so needed to check with Virtual Desktop if the problem was on software, the router-VR location, etc.
VAM on VD worked okish, but SteamVR for using Heresphere was just horrendous. So the fallback was shit, and so the new plan was to try a clean linux and hope that since then a fix for my problems in VR had appeared.
This time insteal of a plain arch install where I could easily miss something that could make a difference with VR performance, nvidia tweaks, and other things, I went for CachyOS and place my hopes on that being handled by the build for a solid VR ground. I went back to my prefered tools for VR: yakuda-connect to handle all VR stuff, and faugus launcher for the proton stuff.
Suffice to say, it was the best VR experience with VAM on passthrough. WayVR handles passthrough so much better than VD in the latest version, and all the weirdness and issues I had several weeks ago seem to be gone. Hurrah.
Now, I don't know if the OS change - arch to cachy - made a difference, but for a mainly gaming machine it helps a lot to not spend much time looking up and configuring things. The other tools also had updates so more likely it was there that problems were resolved, and VR on linux never looked better.
My updated setup for running VAM desktop and VR:
- OS: CachyOS
- Wine manage: Faugus Launcher
- VR tools: yakuda-connect (wivrn handler), wayvr, xryzer
For those using SteamVR. consider using the above and compare as SteamVR can be quite buggy.
P.S. I think I finally have an assurance that I won't ever need to install Windows again, all special usecases are now handled on linux. Hurrah hurrah hurrah.