SubScenes and SubFolders

Spacedog

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
Spacedogvam
Let me preface this by saying that I can work around this so if it can't be done then fair enough, but it would be very helpful.

The problem:

Each subscene has it's own folder which means if you have more then one significantly sized project it can be hard to see what subscene belongs with what, especially when you need to keep names as short as possible so the UI doesn't get too cluttered. It would be really nice if there was a way to organise a group of subscenes in to a single subfolder.

Suggestions:

I can work around this by giving each SubScene the same Subscene Signature so they all go in the same root folder then use a path in the SubScene Save Name to create a hierarchy of folders inside that for ecample MySubscene/SubsceneName. It seems to work, but VAM keeps trying to change the SubScene atom name to match the signature which makes for a very confusing time in game. Would it be possible to stop VAM from trying to change the name of the SubScene atom to match the Subscene Signature? Or is this approach going to be problematic for some reason?

Alternatively is there another way we could assign a subfolder to a group of SubScenes? Perhaps in the Subscene Signature we could include a Subfolder, e.g. MyScene/SubSceneSignature?

Thanks!

I think we could separate the functionnality from the the user interface goal.

I agree with that we need folder... but that's something that only needs to be a container for organization sakes. No matter what you put inside. In windows (or any OS) there is no relation between the executable contained in a folder and the folder itself... the folder is just meant to keep things neat.

We really need something closer to an explorer to be more efficient when creating.

Also : out of the subject... but a direct delete button on each folder / atom / element of the list would be awesome.

EDIT : OH GOSH. I realize now that you're talking about the physical subfolders of the files. My bad. But still, folders in the UI is a great idea :p

Signature is meant as the main subfolder to store stuff that works together. The Save Name is then the variant of that signature. So you might have a signature that is 2 people atoms in a specific environment atom, and then the various stores are for different poses and animations of those people in that environment. The top level folder must be the creator. This was intended to remove conflicts.

If you need folder organization with the signature subfolder, you can do that now simply by give the Save Name a hierarchical-style name. Example:

Creator: MeshedVR
Signature: SimpleRoom
Save Name: Night/Arrangement1

Store: Night/Arrangement2

Store: Day/Arrangement1

etc.

Also - you can turn off the SubScene UID set on load by click the Auto-Set UID On Browse Load option to false. It is near the top of the SubScene panel.

Oh - and you can use hierarchical names in the Signature as well:

Signature: SimpleRooms/RoomType1
Save Name: Night/Arrangement1

Signature: SimpleRooms/RoomType1
Save Name: Night/Arrangement2

But do note that when you load SubScene using the browse it will clump all the hierarchy into the Save Name. So after storing one of the above and loading via browse, you'll get:

Signature: SimpleRooms
Save Name: RoomType1/Night/Arrangement2

To be honest it really does not matter how you organize under Signature level. And nothing forces Signature atoms to be all the same. That is just a guide.

Signatures would have made a bit more sense if I had completed the Wizard. The idea with the Wizard was that there would be "Glue" Scenes that could tie multiple SubScene Signatures together into a large combination of automatically compatible scenes that could be loaded.

Back
Top Bottom