Hair and Clothes resetting

clevenger

Reactions
When you animate "rescaleObject" it causes sim'ed objects like hair and clothes to do a "reset" every frame which can look really weird. For example if you want to animate a character who grows from 5 to 6 feet tall. It would be nice if there was a way to avoid or reduce this.

In one of the old versions there was a "bug" where hair didn't rescale when "rescaleObject" changed and it simulated just fine when the character grew.

Could a switch be provided to turn off this reset-sim behavior? If it could be turned off and done manually after the animation was done that would be great.

It would also be kind of cool to have a mode for clothes where the clothes don't rescale/reshape with changes to the character's "rescaleObject" or other morphs. So for example you could put some loose clothes on a 5 foot tall character, animate her up to 6 feet tall and see the clothes get tighter instead of resetting/rescaling.

There might be side effects to doing this, but if the "resetting" could be switched on and off at least we could experiment with it.

Animating scale on a Person is not recommended as it performs very slowly. The reset of clothing is necessary so that clothing does not clip through the skin on the change in scale.

I won't be able to fix any of this for 1.X. I also wouldn't categorize this as a bug as this is how it is intended to work to prevent things from breaking.

2.X should have a much better scaling system though that will allow realtime scaling and I could add option for clothing to not scale with the person scale. Perhaps there could even break clothing rip option if clothing is stretched too far.

I'm moving this to suggestions forum since I don't consider this a bug.

Ok, that's fair. However I would point out that in the more recent versions of VAM animating scale got a lot faster. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but in the original versions it was super slow while in the current one it seems to have gotten quite a bit faster.

The idea of clothing not scaling and even ripping or buttons breaking when stretched too far would be really cool if you are doing "attack of the 50 foot woman" style scenes. However it's also useful if you are just trying to do tight simulated clothing. In a lot of other software, they recommend doing tight clothing by making it a little too big and then shrinking the clothes down after they are on the character.

It would also be cool if somehow the clothing could effect the body, for example a belt that cinches in the waist or a too-tight shirt squeezing down the breasts.

Back
Top Bottom