Sound design : how to create a good design for a VaM scene

hazmhox

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Let's talk sound design ! I think general is the best forum for that, if you think it should move, feel free to move it elsewhere :)

I decided to create this thread to give you a few tips and hints about sound since this is my field, and well, sharing knowledge is always welcome, don't you think ?

So... I've tried a ton of content since I know VaM. And almost like any type of media that include sound, I feel like sound is left behind -as usual- in term of importance and amount of work put into it.

And the fact is : the difference between a scene with a little bit of effort put in the sound. And a scene with no effort whatsoever makes a huge difference. If you try the Demo scenes of my plugin. The nightclub part feels alive with only three sounds and a bit of effects on them. And the scene has nothing, just plain dark, a character and a few light effects... and still you feel like the scene is alive even with a character that has no animation.

If you take the opposite side, which is not putting a bit of effort in the sound, it has the opposite effect. In the case of VaM, i've tried a few scenes that are pretty well animated. But the sound is really really terrible. Poor voices with a ton of white noise, sound effects that crackles / pop. On me ( but maybe that's because I do pay a bit too much attention to the sound ) it is everything but arousing... so unless your goal is NOT to excite the persons who are going to try your scene, that's a bummer.

Also, you're here and asking yourself why I'm talking about that... you just want to create a good fap scene with a few dirty sounds, it works for you. Then, you can skip the rest. The thread is more based on immersive setups. ( but seriously, even for quick fap scenes, you could improve the sound ;) )

The tips

Do not use mp3
mp3s sucks. It works very well to distribute music, but using it in an engine is not recommended at all. The way mp3 is encoded create a tiny bit of silence at the beginning and the end of the sound. It is going to pop if you're trying to loop the sound. And for another reason, we have way better format with way better quality now.

Use ogg or wav
If you need to reduce the size of your audio content, go for ogg. It doesn't have the same issue when you want to loop a sound. Ogg can have a performance impact on the engine because it needs to decompress it. But to be honest, all middleware on the market uses ogg.
If you have just a few sounds and not really big, go for wav, this is the best quality you can get. If your scene is huge and has a ton of sounds, i would suggest to use ogg anyway. Even if you want to get the best quality possible, you don't want to load 500mb of audio in memory.

Optimize and create your sound depending on its use in the scene
Resample the sound. If your sound does not need to be in 48khz because it sounds really good in 22.5khz, do it. It's gonna be lighter on the engine. I'm not gonna explain you in details the concept behind the Nyquist frequency, but if you're interested you can check wikipedia.
Use mono for positional audio. Use stereo for audio that should play globally. Never use stereo on positional audio sources.

Normalize your sounds
In Unity or UE4, you can control easily how your sound is played (volume, attenuation etc). In the case of VaM not so much. So, gather all your sound and make them sound properly together. Choose a maximum output volume and normalize all assets to be homogeneous. Don't normalize at crazy volumes, peaking at -3db is enough. If you know how to measure LUFS, you could monitor the scene and try to get between -16db and -12db LUFS.

Create a scene with your sound... in your scene
That's a strange sentence. You've created or gathered your 3D assets, sound assets, created your characters, started your animations and staged everything. Now, save this. And just sit there, close your eyes and listen to your scene. Can you picture and tell where your are and what's happening ? If not... your sound is not good enough. A good sound design is something that allows the player to tell where he is by just listening to the sounds.
You don't have to be overkill and spent 10 hours on the sound. Just a few clean sounds found on freesound.org, a bit of clean setup, and your scene will be really cool.

Let me take an example : you did a sex scene in a garden behind a house in the suburbs. Suburbs, garden, outside, ok... let's just find a dog barking, a few kids playing in the distance, a car passing by the house and a global sound like car traffic in the distance. Now you got something that feels right.

I guess that's all for now... feel free to ask about sound. I will gladly answer and update this post if you want.

Cheers guys and gals \o/

Indeed @MacGruber , I do follow your work, and I'm a patreon of yours. We discussed a bit about sound and how was working Life a while ago on Discord when the plugin was in it's 4th version if I do remember well. This is indeed a really cool plugin with a lot of attention on the sound.

I agree with you @Tiseb , but is it more long and complicated than creating textures or understanding the basics of morphs and scene setup in VaM ? I mean, when you don't know jack about texture creation for instance, and you open 'toshop for the first time this is as complicated as understanding a Sound forge or Audition for instance. I guess that's just a choice when it comes to the amount of work you want to put in your scene ( and in what field ).

But one thing for sure, the tools and possibilities are way better and easier when it comes to everything but the sound. That's why I also have other plugins in mind to allow users to deal with the sound more easily... I mean, just triggering a list of 3 different sounds randomly with a bit of delay is a challenge. And I'm just talking about something like a basic positional audio source for a dog barking or environmental sounds. Don't get me started if you want to make an advanced script with sounds :]

This was incredibly useful. In my day job, I meet sound designers quite often, but obviously rarely get the chance to discuss VR erotica specifically... Hearing how you approach VAM/Unity in this context is da bomb. I work with UE4 and adaptive music production, but I rarely use Ogg. In this case, I originally chose Mp3 because I didn't know what to expect from VAM's sound engine at all, and didn't want to use .wav, obviously. Good to know that ogg is the compression to go with. From your description, it doesn't sound like taking the time to re-upload all my other scenes in .ogg format is a smart move? I'd only consider putting the time in if it would solve the load time issue, which it doesn't seem like it would.

One comment/question on normalizing. I've been purposefully breaking this rule while working in VAM because of some quirks in the game. There seems to be several common interactions that reset many of the audio parameters during playtime. This undoes any careful sound design you've done within the engine itself. Things like switching looks, adding atoms, loading plugins, changing textures, and so on often reset audio parameters, and often these settings and defaults do not persist through saves or across different plugins.

I can't identify all the various situations in VAM where this is true or not true and under what circumstances my mix will be left alone or completely jumbled by an end user adding their own model. So, I felt the in-game audio environment was too inconsistent to mix in. To skip all of that, I pushed everything back a step, and started leveling things in my DAW before output.

All that to say that the normalization on all my audio tracks is a complete mess, but at least the environment is roughly mixed if things get defaulted, and end users can smash things without ruining the mix. I traded quality for consistent user experience. What are your thoughts on that (other than the fact that your plugin does a great job of solving much of the problem)?

I totally missed your answer even with the alerts on the top haha

Re-uploading with ogg could be cool, but it won't change a lot besides your file size ( and potentially loading time ). It's a bit of work to edit your scene again and change everything. That's not a really big deal to leave the scenes as is and know what you're gonna do on the next ones :)

Oh ! You're working with UE4 too, noice ! You don't have to use ogg because it would be a quality loss in UE4. The engine recompress the audio on the fly when you import it. Which would result in compressing twice the audio (unless the engine is clever enough to not recompress ogg but i'm not sure about that). Unity does not behave like that. It's an engine that take your files and does not compress them. And even if it was, in the case of VaM it is not doing that... so the best solution is to create your files properly to get the best quality and the lowest memory footprint / disk size.

On the normalizing question, you're just confirming what I'm saying :D

Since VaM is not as easy as UE4 or Unity to work with sound, creating your mix "from scratch" (every audio file with a volume that is thought to sound good with each other) is the way to go.

Even tho it's a good idea to do that, I do tweak a few volumes and settings in the atoms. To be honest, I don't really think of what users are going to do with the scene. If a player starts to fiddle around with the assets, setups or overall scripting of a scene, that is his/her problem. I already have like a month worth of work on 2069, i'm not gonna add hours of mixing just to be sure that everything is going to anticipate what a user can do with the scene.

I'm ensuring that the scene works perfectly, but that's all :]

I am currently creating a scene where there's a girl sitting alone in a air raid shelter during the London Blitz. I have a sound I got from FreeSound.org of air raid sirens, distant explosions and AA gun fire. Just one sound file and it raises the entire scene to absolutely terrifying heights. It's like you're in a time machine. It's liek you're there. So yeah, the sound environment is really, really important if you're going for immersion.

I didn't know that thing about MP3's though. I'll use OGG in th efuture. I worked with OGG a bit in Skyrim. I hope there are modern programs to easily convert into OGG. Cheers and thanks for the tips and information!

Pretty simple SCAMP... ( this comment makes me think I'll do a guide in the future covering all these aspects and a bit more tips and tricks about audio ).
If you care about audio... want to have good tools to edit and optimize your sound and want to go the "cheap way" :
- Audacity
- Reaper

You could evaluate Reaper indefinitely, but if you want to be "legit", it is really cheap.

Anyway, you need BOTH softwares because they are made for different purposes :
- Audacity is the software you can use to modify, optimize and tweak files on the fly.
- Reaper is a DAW which is really useful when you need to design sounds a bit further, with layering and stuff like that. Even effects if you want to bake some cool stuff directly in the sound.

Both can save as ogg and wav.

I won't go in depth about professional / paid softwares like the one I use because they are not cheap at all ( and pretty much uncrackable to be honest ).

Oh nice! I have used Audacity for years but didn't know it exported OGG lol That's how much of an expert I am on this area. Thanks for your tutorials!

No prob !
Concerning Reaper, I'm a bit biased because I really like the way DAW -in general- work, and Audacity feels a bit clunky when it comes to multi-tracking imho.
But if you don't want to bother with two softwares, Audacity is able to do multi-tracking like a DAW.

I only comment to second @hazmhox, and recommend learning Reaper. If you have years working with Audacity, that will be sufficient for basic audio editing, but the software isn't well-designed for the type of processing you'll want to make audio for VAM. If you want to make a scene sound better, spending a night or two learning the ins and outs of routing, editing, and effects in Reaper will give you wings.

Though the software is practically free, it is quickly becoming the fresher industry standard, quietly replacing Pro-tools in most forward moving parts of the production world. The people I meet working with VR adaptive music and other immersive formats use Reaper almost exclusively, only working with Pro-tools when they have to, often because they're dealing with a conservative mammoth corporation, and other more sluggish institutions. Reaper is the hip kid on the block, and for good reason. It's simple, intuitive, and powerful.

Thanks a lot mate ! But SD being my work, I already knew these : D ( which are indeed completely awesome ).

It was not a reproach CuteSvetlana, just an info... that's why I said thanks.
I was planning to talk about it in the sound design guide at some point :)

I still don't understand the workflow for adding audio to a scene lol

Simple way :
- Scene audio tab > browse for audio > add all the files you need.
- Add an AudioSource atom ( Scene add atom > Sound > audio source )
- Using any type of trigger / action ( main timeline, Timeline by Acidbubble, button, animation pattern,... ) trigger the sound using the audio source by creating an action like this. You can use PlayNow, PlayNowLoop... whatever :
tmp.png

Hard way :
- Create assets in unity with audio sources
- Create a plugin that allows you to control your audio.

Simple way :
- Scene audio tab > browse for audio > add all the files you need.
- Add an AudioSource atom ( Scene add atom > Sound > audio source )
- Using any type of trigger / action ( main timeline, Timeline by Acidbubble, button, animation pattern,... ) trigger the sound using the audio source by creating an action like this. You can use PlayNow, PlayNowLoop... whatever :
View attachment 20061

Hard way :
- Create assets in unity with audio sources
- Create a plugin that allows you to control your audio.
How do I trigger (stop and reset) the audio/music using the reset playback button?

How do I trigger (stop and reset) the audio/music using the reset playback button?

If you're talking about the reset in the "main timeline" in the animation tab, you have to do it through triggers too.
Is that what you're looking for ?

If you're talking about the reset in the "main timeline" in the animation tab, you have to do it through triggers too.
Is that what you're looking for ?
Yes, I was able to set the trigger to start on play. I just have to figure out how to pause the music with the scene instead of the music continuing to play. Thanks very much

Is there a binaural plugin? If I'm making a scene where I know where the head is in relation to the sounds I use cubase and binaural plugins. DeerVR makes the best one by far but it's expensive. There are free ones however.
In a game where you can move anywhere that would require adjustments on the fly.

Fyi there are some good videos on YouTube about fabricating a head and building binaural mics. It's really interesting

Yes, I was able to set the trigger to start on play. I just have to figure out how to pause the music with the scene instead of the music continuing to play. Thanks very much

The pause system is embedded inside the game, if you play sound through an audiosource, it will pause if you use the freeze checkbox : )

Is there a binaural plugin? If I'm making a scene where I know where the head is in relation to the sounds I use cubase and binaural plugins. DeerVR makes the best one by far but it's expensive. There are free ones however.
In a game where you can move anywhere that would require adjustments on the fly.

Fyi there are some good videos on YouTube about fabricating a head and building binaural mics. It's really interesting

Yup, I know binaural sound, sound design is my everyday job ;)

No, there is no binaural sound in VAM, and it is impossible to implement it yourself. This is something you could only do with access to the low level code of VAM.

There is two implementation of the spatialization, the Oculus one and the native (unity) one. You are in Oculus mode if the "spatialize" checkbox is enabled. If not, you're using the native one.
VAMAtmosphere needs Unity implementation to work, that's why the documentation explains that you need to disable spatialize.

Dear @hazmhox

Would you be interested in taking the main tips from this forum article and share them as a sound guide in the Guide section? There's excellent information here and I think it gets easily overlooked in the Forum section.
Hopefully this will make it more widely seen and with it many improvements in scene creation on VaM.

Thank you all for sharing your expertise on this and many other topics 🙇‍♂️

Dear @hazmhox

Would you be interested in taking the main tips from this forum article and share them as a sound guide in the Guide section? There's excellent information here and I think it gets easily overlooked in the Forum section.
Hopefully this will make it more widely seen and with it many improvements in scene creation on VaM.

Thank you all for sharing your expertise on this and many other topics 🙇‍♂️

Great idea!
I'm gonna do that asap : )

Back
Top Bottom