Question Ryzen 9 3950x, 64gb ram, RTX 2080 TI not enough for running at 60fps with 3 People. Are you kidding me?

Unfortunately this is quite normal with VaM. One of the weak points is the physic. With every People you add, VaM needs more and more ressources. There are other things that uses a lot of computing power... look at one of the tutorial postings (can't find it right now).
AFAIK VaM uses only one CPU core, or better, it is weak on multi core processing. So it doesn't matter how many cores you CPU has. VaM is known as very GPU ressource hungry, too. But IMHO in this case, the single core speed of the CPU will most likely be the bottleneck.

To address this and other issues, the maker of VaM has started to re-write all of the code and uses a much more actual Unity version for the engine. This new VaM version is called VaM 2.x and is a lot of work... so don't expect it soon.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately this is quite normal with VaM. One of the weak points is the physic. With every People you add, VaM needs more and more ressources. There are other things that uses a lot of computing power... look at one of the tutorial postings (can't find it right now).
AFAIK VaM uses only one CPU core, or better, it is weak on multi core processing. So it doesn't matter how many cores you CPU has. VaM is known as very GPU ressource hungry, too. But IMHO in this case, the single core speed of the CPU will most likely be the bottleneck.

To address this and other issues, the maker of VaM has started to re-write all of the code and uses a much more actual Unity version for the engine. This new VaM version is called VaM 2.x and is a lot of work... so don't expect it soon.

Hope it will released before i die. XP

Upvote 0
Multi core utilization by VAM probably will help a ton (I'm not sure I've seen 24pfs but I have the same setup but with 3900x so on THAT scene probably would). VAM 2.0v release date by 2077 (just think by then your PC will be in a brain implant and run x10 as fast also).

LOL really if it's out say in late 2021 think of how fast your PC will be by then (I'll probably have a Ryzen 4000 of some kind, ddr5 ram and a 3090ti or 4080 or something cool).

Upvote 0
It's not just the physics. None of Unity's underlying subsystems are designed for an app like this. Though physics simulation is a big part of it.

I'm working on a DAZ/VAM inspired tool called Visual Story Creator, and by focusing on posing instead of animation, we are getting great fps with 100 characters, but i had to toss out and rewrite a bunch of unity subsystems to do it.

There is no way we could do softbody and/or clothing sinulation for that many characters. Or focus is on interactive simulation only for what the user interacts with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm upgrading to a 3080 nvidia as soon as they come out, will the 10Gb of Vram help? (current CPU is a Ryzen 7 3rd gen)

Upvote 0
does upgrading your graphic card improve fps for vam? I heard vam uses CPU mostly.

Yeah that's what I heard too and only one core so until they review the whole thing... but i'm also upgrading for gaming, I have my eye on one of those HP reverb 2 also. I kinda answered my own question with a little research lol

Upvote 0
Upgraded from a 5700xt to a rtx 3080 today. FPS improvment in VAM is about 2-3 fps.... xD

The 5700xt was a great card for price (wife has one in her gaming rig). Nice bump in FPS in other games with the 3080?

Upvote 0
The 5700xt was a great card for price (wife has one in her gaming rig). Nice bump in FPS in other games with the 3080?
Yes in RDR2 i've more than double fps! In TimeSpy Benchmark i got ~8000 with my 5700xt and 15000 with the rtx3080! So its a great card! But not for VAM ;)

Upvote 0
Barely got 24 fps dafuq is this?

Have you tried using the GiveMeFPS plugin from here? It will optimise and lower certain settings and probably double your framerate for three characters - especially if they all have sim hair turned on and high settings.

Upvote 0
I have an i9-9900k, rtx 2070s and 32gb ram, was just working on a scene with 4 models with each running animations, still getting 40-50fps in VR..

Sometimes your settings are a bigger issue than the hardware it's running on

Upvote 0
I tried to max out and loaded 8 models into a basic scene and still got 20fps on my Valve Index. They were just posing with nothing else loaded, but still, its possible. 3080x, 2070 super, 32GB RAM.

Upvote 0
On a 3090 I get about 87-95 fps with 4 spot lights, a pretty big well-detailed environment (with normal's and height maps its a fairly large locker room with 5 showers, fog, water, and splash particle effects), and 3 models.
Just upgraded from dual 1080's, and the performance increase is a whole other level. On my 1080s, that exact scene got me about 25fps, sometimes up to 31fps.

I thought I'd mention this cuz i've seen some articles in the past, that said the 30series did nothing for vam, and we simply had to wait for multi-core implementation with 2.0. That's simply not (fully) true, so far the 3090 is making light of VaM. (of-course with multi-core support on 64bit this game would run alot better for simulations and scripts, that for sure)

On top of that, I had 3 monitors running as-well, if I disabled them I'd likely get a bump in fps.

My specs are:
Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz
32gbs RAM running XMP 3600mhz
RTX 3090

edit: That's with VaM at high settings and render rate @ 1.0

Upvote 0
On a 3090 I get about 87-95 fps with 4 spot lights, a pretty big well-detailed environment (with normal's and height maps its a fairly large locker room with 5 showers, fog, water, and splash particle effects), and 3 models.
Just upgraded from dual 1080's, and the performance increase is a whole other level. On my 1080s, that exact scene got me about 25fps, sometimes up to 31fps.

I thought I'd mention this cuz i've seen some articles in the past, that said the 30series did nothing for vam, and we simply had to wait for multi-core implementation with 2.0. That's simply not (fully) true, so far the 3090 is making light of VaM. (of-course with multi-core support on 64bit this game would run alot better for simulations and scripts, that for sure)

On top of that, I had 3 monitors running as-well, if I disabled them I'd likely get a bump in fps.

My specs are:
Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz
RTX 3090

With 3 model that's really high FPS. Nice! Now i have to wait till restock of RTX 3090... Or maybe wait little bit. there is rumor about RTX 3090 TI...

Ryzen 3800x - cmon. go for 3950x. Go big or go nothing :p

How did you boost your ryzen cpu? I never tried it. Vam is cpu hungry right? I need to pump my cpu. How did you OC it?

Upvote 0
With 3 model that's really high FPS. Nice! Now i have to wait till restock of RTX 3090... Or maybe wait little bit. there is rumor about RTX 3090 TI...

How did you boost your ryzen cpu? I never tried it. Vam is cpu hungry right? I need to pump my cpu. How did you OC it?

3090 is fine, no question, but the price-performance ratio is beyond all common sense IMHO. Double the price of a 3080 for only around 15-20% more performance. In most gaming scenario beyond 4k, you will be more likely CPU limited and you will see almost no benefit. 3090 is great for pro users, rendering. and AI. It is a cheap replacement for a Titan card for those users. But that is only my opinion and everyone has to decide for themself, if money is no issue.
I would be very interested to see a comparision between a 3090 and a 3080 in VaM 1.x (VaM 2.x will be quite better performance wise), because a 3080 will be a more realistic card for many users here. I expect only a very small performance difference. Unfortunately there are no 3080 in the shops in Germany (without scalper prices), and all current rumors say, this might be the case till Q1 2021, and the 3080 20GB was canceled.
As the AMD 6800XT (Big Navi) will be introduced in two days, I am very excited to see, if this card will probably be even a better alternative. And there is even a much more expensive 6900/6800XTX for comparing with the 3090, too, for those with deep pockets.

-ADVERTISING ENDS- Lol.
Ignore this posting, I even don't know why I wrote this ;-)

Upvote 0
3090 is fine, no question, but the price-performance ratio is beyond all common sense IMHO. Double the price of a 3080 for only around 15-20% more performance. In most gaming scenario beyond 4k, you will be more likely CPU limited and you will see almost no benefit. 3090 is great for pro users, rendering. and AI. It is a cheap replacement for a Titan card for those users. But that is only my opinion and everyone has to decide for themself, if money is no issue.
I would be very interested to see a comparision between a 3090 and a 3080 in VaM 1.x (VaM 2.x will be quite better performance wise), because a 3080 will be a more realistic card for many users here. I expect only a very small performance difference. Unfortunately there are no 3080 in the shops in Germany (without scalper prices), and all current rumors say, this might be the case till Q1 2021, and the 3080 20GB was canceled.
As the AMD 6800XT (Big Navi) will be introduced in two days, I am very excited to see, if this card will probably be even a better alternative. And there is even a much more expensive 6900/6800XTX for comparing with the 3090, too, for those with deep pockets.

-ADVERTISING ENDS- Lol.

well ryzen 5000 series will come too. I think i'll wait until end of 2021... Things getting interesting... 8)

Upvote 0
well ryzen 5000 series will come too. I think i'll wait until end of 2021... Things getting interesting... 8)

I think it is a very interesting time now. There is so much new and promising new stuff coming in the next weeks. I am a bit in a hurry, because I am still on my old 4790k OC / 980ti OC, but if you can wait, there will be a rumored high end gamer GPU from Intel (!) coming, a rumored "emergency" refresh of the Ampere cards and an other new GPU manufacturer is maybe coming to the battleground. Even only with the NVIDIA Ampere vs AMD Big Navi battle ahead, it is a more exciting time, than it was many many years before. I am thinking about an 5800x/5900x AMD CPU, too. Great time to live (PC wise) ! ;-)

Upvote 0

My specs are:
Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz
RTX 3090

Did you by any chance make a note of the 3090 VRAM utilization? Because I have a theory that the reason you have such a big jump from the 2x 1080 to the 3090 is that you’ve gone from 8GB of VRAM to 24GB of VRAM. Where is the 3080 only has 10GB and therefore people aren't finding that much of a difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I knew that the Zen 3's were coming when i got the 3800x to hold me over until then. I got the 3800x this past Jan, will be selling it for a 5k series Zen 3 when they are out.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot you asked about OCing the cpu. I haven't OCed mine yet, it just boosts to 4.4ghz and stays there. I guess I have my Case to thank for that, as my internal case temps are generally 18-25c. So everything stays nice and cool.

-ADVERTISING ENDS- Lol.
I do lots of rendering. The 3090 has completely blown me away with rendering. With some things I've gone from waiting 30mins a frame, to them being done in as little as 1-3mins. Its really fkn mind blowing. I'd be interested to see how the new AMD cards work out, but I've never really had luck with AMD Video Cards, and they sort of have a track record of bad drivers. Though, I've also been pretty blown away with my AMD 3800x in-comparison to my i7 I had before. So who knows maybe AMD will nail it with their new cards. Simply Based on my Experiences with AMD vs NVIDIA video cards in the past, I decided to jump on the 3090. As far as speeds tho, I've been able to hit 2050MHz semi-overclocking with the 3090. If you'd even call it overclocking, I honestly just adjusted the Fan Curve. I'm pretty sure I hit one of the silicon lotteries considering I've seen other 3090's only reaching 1950MHz at max fanspeed, and no voltage adjustments. And it sits at 60c - 61c at 2040-2050MHz constantly for hours.

EDIT: I thought it might be worth mentioning that its the STRIX 3090. They come with all MLCC Capacitors, in comparison to the regular 3090's that come with 4x POSCAPs, and 20 MLCC capacitors. There has been speculation that when going all MLCC capacitors that overclocking is much more stable, and due to GPU 3.0 as long as the card is cold enough, it will just keep increasing the boost clock speeds.

Did you by any chance make a note of the 3090 VRAM utilization? Because I have a theory that the reason you have such a big jump from the 2x 1080 to the 3090 is that you’ve gone from 8GB of VRAM to 24GB of VRAM. Where is the 3080 only has 10GB and therefore people aren't finding that much of a difference.
I just checked here with the scene in question, I'm using 7716MB with the scene open. I also have like three monitors on with a boatload of stuff open when I check that tho. So It's probably consuming a bit less then 7716MB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just checked here with the scene in question, I'm using 7716MB with the scene open. I also have like three monitors on with a boatload of stuff open when I check that tho. So It's probably consuming a bit less then 7716MB.

Thanks for checking, 7716MB totally disproves my theory. You said it was a shower scene, I assume the girls aren't wearing any clothes but still that's a lot less VRAM than I estimated was needed. I currently only have 2GB of VRAM and have no way of testing how much I actually need as I am planning to buy a new card this year. I'm running a 1440p desktop monitor and have no plans of getting a headset. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking, 7716MB totally disproves my theory. You said it was a shower scene, I assume the girls aren't wearing any clothes but still that's a lot less VRAM than I estimated was needed. I currently only have 2GB of VRAM and have no way of testing how much I actually need as I am planning to buy a new card this year. I'm running a 1440p desktop monitor and have no plans of getting a headset. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

To recommend a video card at this particular point, would be difficult as there are still too many unknowns with the new AMD cards. If AMD can match or exceed the NVIDIA cards, (and hoping they release decent drivers consistently,) then it would be a no brain-er to get an AMD video card with at least 10-16gbs of VRAM to be decently future safe. I feel like RAM correctly clocked with your processor can also help with VaM. I say 10-16gbs of VRAM as there are a few creators that have been releasing 8k textures with their models, which definitely puts a strain on frames. On top of that with VaM 2.0 in the works, G8F models have quite a few differences in rendering requirements. And if those get translated to VaM (which they likely will, as its what gives them a much more realistic look) then the amount of Texture memory that will be required per Model will increase a fair bit, with some taking up to 3x-4x the amount of VRAM. On average I've found a decently optimized G8F takes 2x the VRAM in comparison to a G2F. But quite often out-of-the-box G8F models consume much more VRAM then G2F.

EDIT: I mean this is if your wanting to get something high-end to handle more complex scenes, and other games at high to maxed out settings. For mid to lower-end cards its hard to say, at the moment tho the RTX 3070 has the spotlight. Tho, with the AMD Cards around the corner, it could have competition in all fields, price/performance/vram. Its just... AMD has a track record of bad video card drivers. And its sorta unlikely they are going fix that overnight. on top of that, you don't want to get a 3080 or 3090, if you don't already have a PCI-E 4.0 Motherboard, and a decent CPU. Because the 3080 and 3090 will easily get capped if the Motherboard, and/or CPU can't keep up. To some degree even the 3070 will be capped, but not to the degree of the 3080 and 3090. Your money is better spent on a faster CPU & MB with a 3070, then to get a 3080 or 3090 on older gen MB and CPU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To recommend a video card at this particular point, would be difficult as there are still too many unknowns with the new AMD cards. If AMD can match or exceed the NVIDIA cards, (and hoping they release decent drivers consistently,) then it would be a no brain-er to get an AMD video card with at least 10-16gbs of VRAM to be decently future safe. I feel like RAM correctly clocked with your processor can also help with VaM. I say 10-16gbs of VRAM as there are a few creators that have been releasing 8k textures with their models, which definitely puts a strain on frames. On top of that with VaM 2.0 in the works, G8F models have quite a few differences in rendering requirements. And if those get translated to VaM (which they likely will, as its what gives them a much more realistic look) then the amount of Texture memory that will be required per Model will increase a fair bit, with some taking up to 3x-4x the amount of VRAM. On average I've found a decently optimized G8F takes 2x the VRAM in comparison to a G2F. But quite often out-of-the-box G8F models consume much more VRAM then G2F.

EDIT: I mean this is if your wanting to get something high-end to handle more complex scenes, and other games at high to maxed out settings. For mid to lower-end cards its hard to say, at the moment tho the RTX 3070 has the spotlight. Tho, with the AMD Cards around the corner, it could have competition in all fields, price/performance/vram. Its just... AMD has a track record of bad video card drivers. And its sorta unlikely they are going fix that overnight. on top of that, you don't want to get a 3080 or 3090, if you don't already have a PCI-E 4.0 Motherboard, and a decent CPU. Because the 3080 and 3090 will easily get capped if the Motherboard, and/or CPU can't keep up. To some degree even the 3070 will be capped, but not to the degree of the 3080 and 3090. Your money is better spent on a faster CPU & MB with a 3070, then to get a 3080 or 3090 on older gen MB and CPU.

My Current System
ASUS ROG Strix B365-F Gaming Motherboard PCIe 3.0
Intel Core i5-9600KF currently running but also have Intel Core i7-9700KF
Gigabyte GTX 1050 Gaming 2G
ADATA 512GB XPG SX8200 PRO
HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
XFX 750w PSU
Asus PB328Q 32 Inch 1440p 75 Hz

Not top of the range but I think it’s a pretty good system except for the graphics card.

Based on the information you have given me, the frame rates at gpucheck.com and my own testing. My current estimation of my options are:

RTX 2060 Super / RTX 2070 = One girl well dressed with nice hair semi complex scene. Or two nude girls simple scene.
RTX 3070 / RTX 3070Ti = Two girls well dressed with nice hair semi complex scene. Or four nude girls simple scene.
RTX 3090 = Three girls well dressed with nice hair complex scene.

I can’t justify the price of a 3090 but I really like the 3070Ti (even though it’s not out yet). The problem I have the 3000 cards is the talk that they are going to switch to 7nm soon. The last time I bought a high end card was a GTX 280. At the time I worked in a IT warehouse and bought the card before it even hit the stores, that was a big mistake. I had a lot of trouble with it crashing so I took it back but the new one was faulty as well but with a difference problem. I then waited for the die shrink and then took it back and received a GTX 285. I ran the 285 for ten years without a glitch, loved that card. As to AMD, I've never had anything from them so I'm a little reluctant there.

So I'm now thinking of getting a 2070 just to tie me over until the current card debacle settles down. I don’t game other than VaM, I mostly like to make my own girls and make my own scenes or modify other peoples. So what do you think?

Upvote 0
My Current System
ASUS ROG Strix B365-F Gaming Motherboard PCIe 3.0
Intel Core i5-9600KF currently running but also have Intel Core i7-9700KF
Gigabyte GTX 1050 Gaming 2G
ADATA 512GB XPG SX8200 PRO
HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
XFX 750w PSU
Asus PB328Q 32 Inch 1440p 75 Hz

Not top of the range but I think it’s a pretty good system except for the graphics card.

Based on the information you have given me, the frame rates at gpucheck.com and my own testing. My current estimation of my options are:

RTX 2060 Super / RTX 2070 = One girl well dressed with nice hair semi complex scene. Or two nude girls simple scene.
RTX 3070 / RTX 3070Ti = Two girls well dressed with nice hair semi complex scene. Or four nude girls simple scene.
RTX 3090 = Three girls well dressed with nice hair complex scene.

I can’t justify the price of a 3090 but I really like the 3070Ti (even though it’s not out yet). The problem I have the 3000 cards is the talk that they are going to switch to 7nm soon. The last time I bought a high end card was a GTX 280. At the time I worked in a IT warehouse and bought the card before it even hit the stores, that was a big mistake. I had a lot of trouble with it crashing so I took it back but the new one was faulty as well but with a difference problem. I then waited for the die shrink and then took it back and received a GTX 285. I ran the 285 for ten years without a glitch, loved that card. As to AMD, I've never had anything from them so I'm a little reluctant there.

So I'm now thinking of getting a 2070 just to tie me over until the current card debacle settles down. I don’t game other than VaM, I mostly like to make my own girls and make my own scenes or modify other peoples. So what do you think?
Originally, I went 1080 instead of 1080ti, cuz the price difference was like $200 USD, and the performance of the 1080ti was actually worse then the 1080 for gaming. Over time tho, that started to change, and the 1080ti eventually came out on top, but only by a little(in games). As far as rendering goes, and applications that require a lot of VRAM (basically everything other then games(with a few exceptions of course)) I felt my 1080's always came up short. I constantly ran into issues where 8gbs, was simply not enough for rendering some scenes. And going SLI made performance in most rendering engines awful. I regretted not dishing out the extra to get the 1080ti.

If you primarily use your video card for VaM, then I'd go with the RTX 3070ti. Cuz one day you may regret not getting it. And Considering the price difference is only $100 USD, If I was in your position, I would jump on the 3070ti when it came out. HOWEVER! if AMD's cards appear to be getting praise, and there aren't any driver complaints by that time, you may want to heavily consider an AMD as an alternative, as you will get a better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom