Question Question about CC-BY-SA

Twelvepak

Reactions
Patreon
Twelvepak
Part of the description of this license ID says "as long as license for new creations is identical". Does this mean that if I use a plug in with this license identifier in a scene that the license for my created scene has to be CC-BY-SA? Or does this mean only that I can't change the license for this plug-in? In short, can I use a plug-in with the CC-BY-SA in a scene I make and still tag my scene with a PC license when packaging?

For example my plugins are all CC-BY-SA after leaving EarlyAccess. That means you CAN build a scene and create a VAR package that references my plugins, say Life or LogicBricks. When doing that, you can use any of the licence options offered by VaM for your content. However, if you distribute my plugin or parts of it yourself, e.g. some creators are providing ZIP packages with all the dependencies, that ZIP package has to be CC-BY-SA. Same goes if you make your own plugin that uses part of my code, that would have to be CC-BY-SA. "Uses part of my code" here means enough to be clearly identified as my code, nobody cares about a line or two.

Note that the current VaM beta does already auto-download VAR dependencies, so there is no need point anymore to provide dependencies yourself anymore.

A different thing is if you want to use content that has the NC extension, for non-commercial. As long as you have a Patreon (or similar), everything you do VaM related is "commercial", you can't even post screenshots of that content or release a VAR package using that content, even if it is for free. However, if you ask the original creator, he might just give you permission for what you wanna do, but it's not automatic. Many creators probably don't even realize they are blocking use of their stuff even in free scenes by choosing NC.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification MacGruber, I think I understand. If I had used say your breathing plugin on a person in a scene, and then choose "save scene and add to new package", and set the scene to PC, then I could have posted that scene for download and that would have been within the legal terms, correct?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification MacGruber, I think I understand. If I had used say your breathing plugin on a person in a scene, and then choose "save scene and add to new package", and set the scene to PC, then I could have posted that scene for download and that would have been within the legal terms, correct?
Yes, that should be correct. (Unless you did unpack my VARs, causing the content to be included in yours instead of referencing.)

Upvote 0
No worry there, I didn't use your plug in the scene I posted yesterday, but I wanted to, lol. I ended up just using the cycleforce plugin to make it look kind of like breathing. It definitely doesn't look as good as when using your plug in, but it served the purpose. I don't even know how one would un-pack a VAR. The only way I know to use plugins is to add them to a person using the button that says plugins, and then when I try to save the scene, I check to see what licenses show up to see if I need to take any of them out, which usually seems to be the case, haha.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom