Position mess up after import into VAM

abjohn

Reactions
Hi,

Struggling a bit here in creating clothing/items for VAM. Followed all tutorials but some how i may be missing something.
I had one pearl necklace in blender and i wanted to get that into VAM. Here is series of steps i followed.
1.) Export Genesis 2 Model from DAZ 3D as .obj file.
2.)Imported Genesis 2 Model into Blender.
3.) Copied and pasted my necklace in blender over Genesis 2 model, adjusted scale,rotation to make sure no clipping and fits perfectly.
4.)Deleted genesis 2 model and exported necklace as .obj file.
5.)Imported into DAZ 3D and added genesis 2 model. scaled/re sized and rotated again to make sure necklace fits perfectly.
6.)Edit->figure-Transfer Utility-> Necklace to Genesis 2 model (Item shape- current)
7.)File->save as-> figure/prop asset and saved .duf file
8.)Open VAM, Clothing custom and select DUF file to import. It counts vertices and takes sometime to import but after import Necklace is not over neck, it changes position to chest or near foot.

Am i missing any steps here? There is very little help available on VAM and forum here. struggling with clothing/accessory imports from past few days and not much help available.

Best way I've found to cure it is use an export/import process in Daz.
VAM doesn't care if an item is an obj (prop) or converted to a figure through transfer utility.
If you don't need to do a fit-to and make some adjustments through morphs or sliders then you can skip step 6 above.
So, all fine up to and including step 6 (optional) above, assuming that your necklace looks fine on a fresh G2 in default pose and without you having to move G2's location.
7. Hide G2 using the scene window (click the eye next to G2 in the list)
8. export as an obj. From the options dialogue make sure 'ignore invisible nodes is checked' so it excludes G2
9. Create an empty scene and re-import your export obj (just make sure your export and imports both use the same scale, eg daz 1cm = 1unit )
10. Save as a duf and then do your VAM import.

Using this export/import method in daz ensures that it stores the correct position co-ordinates, and if you've made any conform changes to the mesh through morphs it also includes those too.

Last edited:
Best way I've found to cure it is use an export/import process in Daz.
VAM doesn't care if an item is an obj (prop) or converted to a figure through transfer utility.
If you don't need to do a fit-to and make some adjustments through morphs or sliders then you can skip step 6 above.
So, all fine up to and including step 6 (optional) above, assuming that your necklace looks fine on a fresh G2 in default pose and without you having to move G2's location.
7. Hide G2 using the scene window (click the eye next to G2 in the list)
8. export as an obj. From the options dialogue make sure 'ignore invisible nodes is checked' so it excludes G2
9. Create an empty scene and re-import your export obj (just make sure your export and imports both use the same scale, eg daz 1cm = 1unit )
10. Save as a duf and then do your VAM import.

Using this export/import method in daz ensures that it stores the correct position co-ordinates, and if you've made any conform changes to the mesh through morphs it also includes those too.
Thanks for reply. I have managed to figure out the way to import into VAM but quality of clothes/jewelry gets changed into bad quality in VAM after import. I believe it is bug/issue in VAM ,specially when vertex count of accessories/dresses are high, VAM import them with messy looks.
Here is what i figured out-
If you have accessory/jewelry item setup as prop, VAM will not be able to find the correct position after import. So here are steps which i followed-
1.) Double click the jewelry (earring/necklace/dress) on DAZ 3D with out any character and click export- as .obj file using DAZ Scale.
2.)Import .obj file.
2.)Now bring in Genesis 2 model with out jewelry selected on on scene and adjust the position with move/scale/rotate, sometimes daz 3d will not auto fit even genesis 2 items, for G3/G8 any way we have to position.
3.)Now select jewelry and used Edit- Rigging- Prop to Figure
4.)Once it is changed to figure it will switch position again. align the position again to make sure it fits on right place.
5.)Now- Edit- Object- Transfer utility- select jewelry and transfer to genesis 2.
6.)Remove genesis 2
7.)File- Save as - Scene and save as .duf file. Open VAM and import. VAM will import but it will not be of same look as you see in DAZ, it will be pretty bad quality.
Don't save it as figure/prop asset otherwise VAM goes mad in finding correct geometrical position .

So i believe there is a issue in VAM in importing high quality object with higher vertex count and most of the DAZ 3D assets which are high quality cannot be imported into VAM. Can someone confirm if this is real issue?

The limitation for VAM clothing import is that it attempts to wrap verts of your item to nearby verts on the G2 mesh.
The nearer your clothing mesh is to a nearby vert, the more it will try to align with it.
You could create a geoshell in daz of the base G2 mesh, and import it as a clothing item and it will fit perfectly.
You could even ramp that geoshell up to high res and multiple subdivisions and it would still fit perfectly.

I've imported boots for example that are 300K verts and they've worked great, albeit a total waste of polys :)

There are techniques that you can use to try and mitigate the limitation, but its particularly difficult to create anything that you want to have sharp defined edges.

Techniques include things like:
ultra low poly (seen this done for earrings for example)
adding extra edge loops to edges of your clothing mesh
retopo of your mesh so it more closely matches G2 topo
creating a custom morph within VAM where you pick a single face and move the rest of G2 well away from it so it doesn't try to wrap to the rest of the mesh.

However sometimes its just a lost cause.
I pretty much guarantee that almost everyone who spends time on clothing imports has their fingers and toes crossed whenever they hit the import button.

The limitation for VAM clothing import is that it attempts to wrap verts of your item to nearby verts on the G2 mesh.
The nearer your clothing mesh is to a nearby vert, the more it will try to align with it.
You could create a geoshell in daz of the base G2 mesh, and import it as a clothing item and it will fit perfectly.
You could even ramp that geoshell up to high res and multiple subdivisions and it would still fit perfectly.

I've imported boots for example that are 300K verts and they've worked great, albeit a total waste of polys :)

There are techniques that you can use to try and mitigate the limitation, but its particularly difficult to create anything that you want to have sharp defined edges.

Techniques include things like:
ultra low poly (seen this done for earrings for example)
adding extra edge loops to edges of your clothing mesh
retopo of your mesh so it more closely matches G2 topo
creating a custom morph within VAM where you pick a single face and move the rest of G2 well away from it so it doesn't try to wrap to the rest of the mesh.

However sometimes its just a lost cause.
I pretty much guarantee that almost everyone who spends time on clothing imports has their fingers and toes crossed whenever they hit the import button.
Thanks for reply and suggestions. really appreciate it. I am not expert on DAZ 3D but will try geoshell which you suggested. Check this snapshot. Trying to import earrings in VAM. 292K Vertex, took 3 hours to import and still going on just for one earring and after import see the look in VAM. Hope someone who makes dresses, jewelry can do tutorial on how to successfully import items to VAM, after so many hours of effort only one earring imported and that also not perfect. still i have one more earring remaining for second ear :) .

Attachments

• SNAP-VAM.JPG
    SNAP-VAM.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
Here is what i figured out,can be useful for others struggling to import items to VAM.

Download and install DAZ Decimate plugin.
Make sure dress/jewlery is set as figure not prop.
Make sure you have transferred the asset to genesis 2.
windows- panes-decimate
lower resolution and polycount to around 20K for VAM.
Save as .fbx file (if you save as it is , it wont change polycount)
Now import back .fbx and save it as scene and import into VAM.
Figure will never look same as DAZ 3D , it will be quite bad in terms of look in VAM always. Not sure if it is VAM issue or something else which need to be fixed as it happens with all figures of genesis 2 also.

You might want to take a look at the following guide by MopedLampe here:
https://hub.virtamate.com/resources...g-without-deformation-by-custom-morphs.12708/

Whilst the guide and you suggest it needs to be converted to a figure, it doesn't, trust me :)

The below is done as a prop using MopedLampe's method.
Decimated to 10% using Blender modifier. Decimator often totally destroys a mesh as there's no control over what polys it merges, however this model works particularly well.
Simply exported as obj from Blender after decimation, imported into daz as obj and then save as dsf, nothing else done in Daz.

This model is a prime candidate for using a CUA though (Custom Unity Asset) as you could add bones and physics so it actually dangles.
I might have a play around with that at the weekend.

VaM 2022-06-17 10-46-18.jpg

You might want to take a look at the following guide by MopedLampe here:
https://hub.virtamate.com/resources...g-without-deformation-by-custom-morphs.12708/

Whilst the guide and you suggest it needs to be converted to a figure, it doesn't, trust me :)

The below is done as a prop using MopedLampe's method.
Decimated to 10% using Blender modifier. Decimator often totally destroys a mesh as there's no control over what polys it merges, however this model works particularly well.
Simply exported as obj from Blender after decimation, imported into daz as obj and then save as dsf, nothing else done in Daz.

This model is a prime candidate for using a CUA though (Custom Unity Asset) as you could add bones and physics so it actually dangles.
I might have a play around with that at the weekend.

View attachment 131288
wow , did you imported this earring successfully into VAM? Looks perfect. i guess i may be missing some steps because all my clothing , accessory imports in VAM comes distorted in bad shapes. i followed blender tutorial link which you mentioned. issue is geometry part. if i take item into blender and get the OBJ file into DAZ, even i make effort to align,rotate and adjust the object in DAZ, transfer it to genesis 2 model after import in VAM it changes the position. specially for foot items (anklets etc.) if i try to convert genesis 3/8 model accessory into VAM, it comes not onto position of hand/feets. i have DUF Files, please let me know if i can upload some of them for you to have a look and may be you can find out what mistake i am making ?

You can only get it to look like this following the guide I linked to in the post above.

It also has limitations:
It won't work with anything that needs to morph with the rest of the body, so it won't work for clothing, only things that remain rigid.
It will still deform if the face that you attached it to changes shape or moves through morphs in VAM.
You often have to import as separate right or left items rather than grouped as one (Heels are an exception to this)

Below is an image of the face I picked to do the earring. In some situations I would use a custom character (exported from VAM or with morphs already in Daz if its one I've sculpted from scratch) and create a new import morph based on that instead of base G2.

The position problem you are experiencing is that all the changes you are making in DAZ, rotation, size, move, etc are stored as morph or transform data separately when you save as a dsf.
VAM doesn't read these (or at least most of them that I am aware of), they need to be applied to the mesh itself, and the easiest way to do that is make you changes, export as an obj (which essentially applies or bakes them to the mesh) and then re-import that obj to a new empty scene, then save as dsf.

You can make all your changes in Blender instead. I do that as it allows more control and I find it easier. I just have a base G2 included in my blender scene to work with.

There's also a great shoe guide by YameteOuji which uses the same trick explained in MopedLampe's guide.
https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/high-heels-guide.14251/

I use this method a lot now, and you can see an example of how I've split the shoe into clothing parts (so the upper can bend and the heel stays rigid) here:
https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/g-pumps.17385/

If your clothing is G3/8 then you have a couple of options. Either you use 'Fit to' in Daz, or you use clones to make G3/8 look like G2. I much prefer using clones for most stuff.
Honestly, your best bet is to jump on the VAM discord and ask for help. You'll get further, quicker that way.
https://discord.com/channels/363274293112602636/363274293582233601

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions. really appreciate your help. Only thing i don't understand, if i have accessory/jewelry in DAZ , why do i need blender? even Genesis 2 dress/ accessory comes distorted in VAM.
Logically, I don't need to make anything fit in blender if accessory /jewelry is in DAZ 3D, Designed for Genesis 2 model. It should be easy import into VAM without any distortion.
Anyway let me try taking accessory/dress to blender with model like tutorial and bring it into VAM, That process is applicable when model/accessory which i want to import is not available in DAZ but anyway will give it a try and join discord.

When saving the final .duf for VAM to import I find it easier and faster to use:
File > Save As > Scene Subset... > select only item to export
No need to hide stuff. Not sure if older DAZ versions had this already. I use 4.20 stable branch.

Learning clothing creation too atm ... seems not that hard to do quick dirty ports, but very hard to master for real quality work.

Back
Top Bottom