• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

PC Upgrade.. causes almost immediate PC reset after loading scenes

testaccount

Reactions
I just upgraded to a whole new PC.. but I don't have a I9 K processor.. i have a I5 14400F with a AMD 6800.

When I first got the PC, I had overheating issues and some games would cause crashes after 1/2 or more of play (Hogwarts/Star Citizen)
But I have since addressed those with FAN settings and a beefier cooler.

But VAM mysteriously crashes. I monitor my CPU/GPU temps and it barely hits 70C...
And it can happen within seconds after loading a scene so temps shouldn't even be an issue.

VaM as a physics sandbox will be more demanding than the games, so if you had problems before they'll be more noticeable with VaM.
If games would lead to crashing - do you mean the games crashing or the PC to restart? - then it's something you need to investigate on your PC hardware.

I concur with yasparukko. If your new hardware requires more power, the current PSU might no longer be cutting it. I just experienced this due to a degrading PSU myself. The symptom is just a reboot under load. Event viewer shows a kernel power event or something along those lines with nothing really useful. You can run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously to rule out VAM.

I've run many stress tests.. and I can't reproduce the issue. I just tried Prime95 and Furmark.. thanks for those suggestions. And I see the same behavior with each test.. runs 100%, Power Limit throttling kicks ins.. and everything is fine. Even running Prime95, Furmark, and various Intel ETU stress tests all at the same time. I have a GOLD 850 PSU which should be more than enough to handle the load. (everything is brand new (i hope))

But with VAM.. I can load a certain scene and it crashes (hard/pc dead) immediately without fail. I wish there was a way to trap what the source of that is.

Even tried a different version of VAM. 12.1.1.0. Same.

What's so odd is my machine has like no time to get under any kind of load.. and it just resets.
I can load one scene.. and it seems to work just fine (at least for minutes.. I can try stressing that one more).
The only thing I noticed that is different so far (which may be meaningless).. is the one scene I can load has no plugins.

And I play a lot of games, used Blender, that should put load on my PC etc.

Have built PCs for 30+ years... have never seen anything like this before.

Forget the plugins.. the working scene has plugins.

One thing I noticed though.. is that scene loads takes my machine out of Power Limit Throttling.. (or when I click on the optimize memory)
I didn't think an app could do that. One thing for sure is I don't understand all the new fancy power management features on the CPUs.

Also.. why does VAM show as only using ~5% CPU in the Intel Tuning Utility / Windows Details (Task Manager).. but 70% percentage in Processes/Performance (Task Manager).

Back
Top Bottom