Considering PC upgrade...

Lemon Pancake

Reactions
Not just for vam. I do other stuff besides that like heavy photoshop work, but where Vam is concerned. Would I see any better improvement in vr?

i7-9700k
32Gb Ram DDR4 3200Mhz
Radeon 6800XT

Upgrading to:

i9-12900k
32GB Ram DDR5 4800Mhz
Different Mobo ( Asus ROG Strix z690-F)
Same GPU as before

Vr headset is a quest 2 if that makes any difference.

Would I see a significant difference?

Or would it be a waste where vam is concerned?

Of course you would see better performance but not sure how much is worth the $$.
Until the 2nd Iteration of Vam is released the game will always struggle more then it should.
I jumped from a 1070 to a 3060, a better cpu and 32gb ram etc and while the difference was certainly noticeable, there are are still scenes that struggle and are a mess....1 because the game is basically an open Beta and 2 being those who make the scenes many times do it where a ton of dependencies that arent needed are loaded into their scenes.
With the improved version they are working on at the moment the foundation should be far more solid and performance friendly along with more options to tweak the settings and should also hopefully be easier for those who make and release scenes to optimize them easier then they are able to now.
Using a Quest 2 should be negligeable to performance since all the horsepower is coming from the pc.
In the end you are more likely to see a much bigger performance bump from that then any pc upgrade....BUT IT CANT HURT...SO it depends how poorly it runs now on your rig and if you REALLY find this game running smoother is worth the capital trade off.

i have 64gb of ram, and my vam is still chugging along lol. but i put a lot of stuff in there, so there's a reason for it...

Would I see a significant difference?
I guess the single core speed would improve things a little, but you're already starting from a good place, so the benefit might not be that significant or even noticeable most of the time. Optimising your usage may deliver more noticeable results than the upgrade of equipment.
Essentially, if the upgrade is meaningful to your other uses or needs outside VAM, then maybe it's worthwhile, but if not it's a bit of wasting money and creating e-waste. If you do upgrade the parts consider an afterlife solution to the equipment replaced, the "recycling bin" should be the last option.

I guess the single core speed would improve things a little, but you're already starting from a good place, so the benefit might not be that significant or even noticeable most of the time. Optimising your usage may deliver more noticeable results than the upgrade of equipment.
Essentially, if the upgrade is meaningful to your other uses or needs outside VAM, then maybe it's worthwhile, but if not it's a bit of wasting money and creating e-waste. If you do upgrade the parts consider an afterlife solution to the equipment replaced, the "recycling bin" should be the last option.

If I go ahead with the upgrade, the parts will be sold, that's for certain. There is always someone looking for cheaper parts. Especially in the current pc parts climate. I'll have a think over the weekend about the upgrade. Thanks for your input :)

Back
Top Bottom