Question Pausing one timeline animation while another plays? Possible?

AshAuryn

Staff member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
ashauryn
I am exploring the possibilities and have a couple technical questions about @Acid Bubbles Timeline.

1. Let's say I have one animation running that rotates the person atom control in a 360 degree. I have another animation running that moves a platform back and forth that person atom control position is parent linked to. I want to pause the platform but continue the 360 degree spin. However, when I created a UI button to pause the platform animation, it pauses all timeline animations instead. I tried doing a toggle instead that enables and disables the platform's timeline plugin, but when toggled back on the character "jumps" their position as if the platform animation was still running while it was disabled. All this is telling me that every instance of timeline is treated as the same instance, so what is another way I could accomplish the same thing?

2. I want to run the Gaze plugin to have the character look at the player, but I also want to animate the character's head so that it shakes "no" while gazing at the player. I tried parent linking the head controller to an empty atom and animating that, but parent linking locks the gaze to the empty atom. I could tell Gaze to target something like the eye controller and have it move back and forth, while keeping the eyes locked onto the player, but then if the player moves to a different location the eyes will follow but the gaze will still be in the direction of the eye controller.

EDIT: I can accomplish #2 by setting triggers to adjust the Gaze plugin's horizontal offset on the fly.

Last edited:
1. Let's say I have one animation running that rotates the person atom control in a 360 degree. I have another animation running that moves a platform back and forth that person atom control position is parent linked to. I want to pause the platform but continue the 360 degree spin. However, when I created a UI button to pause the platform animation, it pauses all timeline animations instead. I tried doing a toggle instead that enables and disables the platform's timeline plugin, but when toggled back on the character "jumps" their position as if the platform animation was still running while it was disabled. All this is telling me that every instance of timeline is treated as the same instance, so what is another way I could accomplish the same thing?

Do the animations have the same name? If so, try changing the name of one of them. The Timeline automatically synchronizes animations with the same name.

Upvote 0
You're right. It seems that the Pause trigger actually affects all timeline instances
To pause only one instance, you can set the animation speed to 0 (later set the speed back to 1 when you need it to move again)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom