Openxr now works with vam

dio

Reactions
I did not notice anyone here posting about this but openxr works now for vam finally. I can now use my reverb g2 with wmr without running steamvr at all. Just copy openvrapi.dll over than one of vam.

And like all my other vr games, this gave me a very noticeable performance boost (4090, 5800X3D). Most notably the hiccups disappeared completely (the ones than feel like sth. Is loading in background). It’s very smooth experience now. A big plus for me.

The drawback is like with skyrimvr... controls are broken. U can still use grab move but u can’t use the stick for turning. Also I can not select objects directly. I have to use the menu to select stuff.

This is surprising, because people here were sure that this will never work. A nice surprise imo.

I use nvidia NIS for performance which required steamVR to be open. From what i understand that if i put openvrapi.dll it will no longer required to steamvr open? Will nvidia nis works?

Where to download Openxr?

So i've replaced openvr_api.dll with openxr and now vr inversed upside down. Did you had this issue? I'm opening VaM (OpenVR).bat for starting game.

no my vr is not inverted. I also start from normal VAM.exe.

Question for post above - mentioned using Nvidia NIS for performance - is that using the openfsr mod thingy or is there another way of using it? I thought NVIDIA Nis was only for specific supported applications and games. Theres a TINY list somewhere XD

Were you able to get the controllers working as intended? I can't even seem to get my mouse working, let alone the G2 controllers after starting opencomposite

Yes, it would be interesting to see a guide for this. I think a lot of people will be grateful.

Anyone managed to get this runing on Virtual desktop?
In their faqs they claim it works with their launcher and on another page they're saying i should not be using virtual desktop at all.

I read that Virtual desktop was meant for headsets that dont natively support things like Steam vr. You restart the pc a certain way and its setup in VR mode. Ive been using Steam VR and virtual desktop with my htc vive cosmos and it seems to run fine, but im confused that im not using it properly. The lack of in depth guides for complete vr newbies is unreal. Getting VAM to work with openfsr has solved alot of issues for me, running it at lower scale gives more fps and upscaling it makes it look incredible. Weirdly upscaling nets me a smoother performance, but the fps locks to 45 - i presume (from my research) the constant switching to 45 - 90 is causing stutter, whereas locking to 45 gives me the "reprojection" thing that i dont really understand. Its slightly smudgy but less headachy.
The controller thing seems buggy however - keeping tabs on this thread till fixed though!

you need to launch VAM with -OpenVR to use OpenComposite (OpenXR). If you don't, you're not using OpenComposite. OpenComposite intercepts the calls to SteamVR.

I do not think OpenComposite works with VAM, at all.

How do I get this to work?

I would like to try using the OpenXR Toolkit Hand Tracking capabilities with VaM. I am not able to see the in-game OpenXR menu within VaM, and VaM is not showing up in the OpenXR Toolkit companion app list of applications.

I've tried using OpenComposite and hitting "Switch to OpenComposite."
I've tried replacing the openvr_api.dll file directly in the VaM_data/plugins folder with the OpenXR one
I've tried launching from the VaM (OpenVR).bat file but it gives me an error "Cannot create DX texture swap chain: err -8"

How do I use the OpenXR Toolkit with VaM?

Edit: I'm connecting to my PC through AirLink with a Quest Pro. The OpenXR Runtime is set to Oculus in the Oculus software.

i think it has to be explicitly supported to work. VAM isn't on their list, so it's not likely to ever work with it. 2.0 will support OpenXR.

I got it to work with OpenXR Toolkit for upscaling but does anyone know how to fix stick drift? It did not exist with SteamVR

So i've replaced openvr_api.dll with openxr and now vr inversed upside down. Did you had this issue? I'm opening VaM (OpenVR).bat for starting game.
I have the same problem, did you solved it?

also I have this error
1683376077817.png

Last edited:
I've been messing with this as I've been having big problems with SteamVR crashing and perfoming poorly lately.

VAM seems to be running much better performance-wise in OpenXR/WMR, but I'm having big stick drift problems on both my controllers for my HP Reverb G2. They just have no deadzone whatsoever and it's almost impossible to set the stick in a neutral position, so the camera is always drifting, needless to say very nauseating in VR.

I had the same issue with the VAM 2 Alpha.

I've scoured the Internet for anything that can control joystick deadzone settings in either WMR or OpenXR and have come up with nothing. I was hoping the OpenXR Toolkit would help but I can't see any settings for it in there. Any ideas anyone if this can be set within VAM somehow?

Last edited:
I have the same problem, did you solved it?

also I have this error View attachment 241939
if your are using WMR try go to setting and check if resolution is set to 'best quality'. Also launch VaM directly using the VaM.exe instead of the bat file. I had this error with my reveb g2 and it seem to work after I did the above.

The performance boost is indeed crazy. But the camera drift is annoying AF like mentioned above, hopefully we get a solution soon.

if your are using WMR try go to setting and check if resolution is set to 'best quality'. Also launch VaM directly using the VaM.exe instead of the bat file. I had this error with my reveb g2 and it seem to work after I did the above.

The performance boost is indeed crazy. But the camera drift is annoying AF like mentioned above, hopefully we get a solution soon.

I'm using the Quest 2

I did not notice anyone here posting about this but openxr works now for vam finally. I can now use my reverb g2 with wmr without running steamvr at all. Just copy openvrapi.dll over than one of vam.

And like all my other vr games, this gave me a very noticeable performance boost (4090, 5800X3D). Most notably the hiccups disappeared completely (the ones than feel like sth. Is loading in background). It’s very smooth experience now. A big plus for me.

The drawback is like with skyrimvr... controls are broken. U can still use grab move but u can’t use the stick for turning. Also I can not select objects directly. I have to use the menu to select stuff.

This is surprising, because people here were sure that this will never work. A nice surprise imo.
special mention to that "menu selection"... but you seem not so much troubled by that 🫣

Think I'm on my way to a solution to the Reverb G2 controller drifting problem!

There's a custom version of the Open Composite DLL for Skyrim on Nexusmods with the ability to configure some things including the deadzone via an INI file: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/85389

So you just download this, create an INI file called opencomposite.ini in the same directory as the DLL, and add these lines:
leftDeadZoneSize = 0.2
rightDeadZoneSize = 0.2

Less than 0.2 might work but that's what I've tried so far and I can open a scene and move around without drifting.

It did crash the first time I tried to run it but was alright after a restart then launching VAM through SteamVR first - will have to see if that was a one-off or an issue.

Now I just need to figure out how to sort the bindings as none of the other buttons are now working properly - I can just point but not select anything in VR. I tried AcidBubbles Keybindings but I'm struggling with it - it only seems to be able to bind the B/Y buttons, the top triggers and stick clicks. A/X buttons and grip buttons don't detect. Plus I don't know if I'm being thick but I can't seem to find the binding to just select or cancel things as the A/B buttons would normally do, or hand grip options - maybe they don't exist if Keybindings was mainly designed for the desktop view?

Think I'm on my way to a solution to the Reverb G2 controller drifting problem!

There's a custom version of the Open Composite DLL for Skyrim on Nexusmods with the ability to configure some things including the deadzone via an INI file: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/85389

So you just download this, create an INI file called opencomposite.ini in the same directory as the DLL, and add these lines:
leftDeadZoneSize = 0.2
rightDeadZoneSize = 0.2

Less than 0.2 might work but that's what I've tried so far and I can open a scene and move around without drifting.

It did crash the first time I tried to run it but was alright after a restart then launching VAM through SteamVR first - will have to see if that was a one-off or an issue.

Now I just need to figure out how to sort the bindings as none of the other buttons are now working properly - I can just point but not select anything in VR. I tried AcidBubbles Keybindings but I'm struggling with it - it only seems to be able to bind the B/Y buttons, the top triggers and stick clicks. A/X buttons and grip buttons don't detect. Plus I don't know if I'm being thick but I can't seem to find the binding to just select or cancel things as the A/B buttons would normally do, or hand grip options - maybe they don't exist if Keybindings was mainly designed for the desktop view?

That is cool. Please let us know what else you find.

I'll provide a data point from my personal experience with controller, maybe it could be helpful to people:

My reverb g2 controller will only work if I turn it on *after* I started VaM.exe, otherwise it won't show up or work in game. And I have the drift too. My current solution is to disable all navigation in VaM setting so the drift won't move the camera, then bind Pan_X and Pan_Y in Keybindings plugin to to RightStickX and Y so I can move around in VR. I also bind Orbit_X to turn, but somehow the plugin won't allow trigger+joystick to be bound to one action, so I have to use shift+RightStickX to turn. It is somehow usable this way.

It would be great if Acid can add ability to bind trigger+stick* to an action, and add a real turn camera action, that way we can use RightStick to move along X and Z, trigger + StickY to move along Y, and trigger + StickX to turn.

Weirdly enough, I tried it again and the controls just worked pretty much as they should. Then next time I loaded it they didn't, then next time they did again. So not sure what's going on, but at least I have it usable if I just keep loading it.

The only control that wasn't bound was holding the A button to view targets, but that was fixable with KeyBindings - just bound Toggle Targets to the stick click (which I actually like better as a way of doing it I think).

Back
Top Bottom