Answered More FPS with better single core CPU performance - experiences?

HolySchmidt

Reactions
As I own an i7-9700K (not overclocked) which still has a good single core performance (4,9 GHz Boost single) I was asking myself if anyone upgraded to Ryzen 9 5800X or i9-11900K without upgrading GPU and has increased FPS?

I know this could be obsolete with VAM 2.0 but I'm still interested in how much more performance I could actually get with some of these in VAM. Any input?

Regarding to this --> https://www.cpu-monkey.com/de/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r15_single_core-7
its kinda like 214 (9700K) to 270 (5800X) which would be an increase of ~26%. Not that much actually.

Is it like that in VAM? From 100 to 126 FPS for example?

You can't compare synthetic benchmarks 1:1 to reality. I highly doubt that you can make VaM more than a quarter faster than before.
I have upgraded from a I7-4970k with a gtx 980ti to a 5800x with a 6900xt... Vam is a good ammount faster, but if you would add the performance plus of the new CPU and the new GPU, it would easiely make VaM double as fast in theory... this isn't the case in reality.
I can use some more figures etc, but at the critical points like multiple light sources or hair with high physics settings, it is still not as smooth as some would like it in VR.
As you have mentioned, VaM 2.x will make this obsolete. I have no high hopes for this current version. It was build on a very old base that never was made for all the functions VaM has today. You can throw money on it till your nose will bleed, but you can't win a race with that old horse.

Upvote 0
Yeah you're right. Was just curious. Spending money now on CPUs, coming from a 9700K, makes no sense to me right now. If you use multi core programs, sure. Single core, no.
Thanks for your reply.

I hope VaM 2.0 will be as good as it seems it could be.

Upvote 0
Check out the AMD FidelityFX OpenVR Upscaler.
I took a scene from 24fps to 35fps with it, with no real loss of visual quality.
I have posted lots about it, it's certainly worth trying for an easy performance boost.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom