Question Is AMD Ryzen 9 (Intel Core i9) significantly better than AMD Ryzen 7 (Intel Core i7) in VaM performance?

Reactions
I wonder if AMD Ryzen 9 (Intel Core i9) is significantly better than AMD Ryzen 7 (Intel Core i7) in VaM performance. Is a top CPU really necessary?

I am currently using a AMD Ryzen 7 CPU (3.2 GHZ). The Utilization rate is <50% when I play VaM, I wonder if AMD Ryzen 9 or Intel Core i9 would make much difference for the gaming, if I don't change my GPU (currently it is Nvidia 3050Ti 4GB VRAM, which I believe is my bottleneck for VaM...).

Last edited:
VaM 1.x utilizes only 3 threads, so you won't be able to use the cores of the Ryzen 9. With VaM 2.x this is supposed to improve, but I doubt it can utilize more than 8 cores / 16 threads usefully. For myself I went with the Ryzen 7 5800X.

(P.S. Ryzen 5000 generation get freaking hot, like 90°C/194°F, make sure you got good cooling and you may want to look into undervolting your CPU since that may be able to lower temps by 10°C while gaining performance slightly...but playing with voltages voids CPU warranty, of course.)

Upvote 0
VaM 1.x utilizes only 3 threads, so you won't be able to use the cores of the Ryzen 9. With VaM 2.x this is supposed to improve, but I doubt it can utilize more than 8 cores / 16 threads usefully. For myself I went with the Ryzen 7 5800X.

(P.S. Ryzen 5000 generation get freaking hot, like 90°C/194°F, make sure you got good cooling and you may want to look into undervolting your CPU since that may be able to lower temps by 10°C while gaining performance slightly...but playing with voltages voids CPU warranty, of course.)

Thanks! Concerning the temperature issue... is Intel Core i7 better in lowering the temperature?

Upvote 0
I am currently using a AMD Ryzen 7 CPU (3.2 GHZ). reading that i assumed you are running 2700 (non-x),
so i was like yeah that's slow clock and low single thread performance. (link was just quick reference not to be taken seriously, userbenchmark garbage #2)
But than i read Nvidia 3050Ti (there's no desktop 3050ti yet, so we are talking running VAM on mobile/laptop?)
Everything on laptops is downscaled compared to desktop counterparts (less clock, power, compute, memory)
to produce less heat and preserve battery inside "small package".

Unless i am reading between lines, you are running mobile 5800H with RTX3050tie?
Comparing it to desktop 5800X is not really an apples to apples comparison 3.2(4.4)GHz 45W 16MB L3&PCIe3 vs 3.8(4.7)GHz 105W 32MB L3&PCIe4
mobile 3050ti? i mean old RTX2060 (non-super) can probably smoke that one, than again is like ~80W vs 160W (more watt=more power=more heat)

It's well known that you can have NASA PC and still struggle running VAM (depending on scene ofc) compared to other games.
Right now with v1.x it helps having higher clock cpu, vam v2.x should improve on that and spread that load (use extra cores/threads more efficiently).
Now is not like vam doesn't use your other cores, it does...but physics (jiggle-jiggle stuff) are the real issue (mostly single threaded).
That's why picking fastest IPC cpu gives benefit over multi core (as of right now).

With your current system you probably don't have issues running other games...sadly VAM is not like the other games.
Imho buying fastest single-thread cpu for sake of getting "most" out of vam v1, is dumb purchase...than again, to each his own ;)

Upvote 0
I am currently using a AMD Ryzen 7 CPU (3.2 GHZ). reading that i assumed you are running 2700 (non-x),
so i was like yeah that's slow clock and low single thread performance. (link was just quick reference not to be taken seriously, userbenchmark garbage #2)
But than i read Nvidia 3050Ti (there's no desktop 3050ti yet, so we are talking running VAM on mobile/laptop?)
Everything on laptops is downscaled compared to desktop counterparts (less clock, power, compute, memory)
to produce less heat and preserve battery inside "small package".

Unless i am reading between lines, you are running mobile 5800H with RTX3050tie?
Comparing it to desktop 5800X is not really an apples to apples comparison 3.2(4.4)GHz 45W 16MB L3&PCIe3 vs 3.8(4.7)GHz 105W 32MB L3&PCIe4
mobile 3050ti? i mean old RTX2060 (non-super) can probably smoke that one, than again is like ~80W vs 160W (more watt=more power=more heat)

It's well known that you can have NASA PC and still struggle running VAM (depending on scene ofc) compared to other games.
Right now with v1.x it helps having higher clock cpu, vam v2.x should improve on that and spread that load (use extra cores/threads more efficiently).
Now is not like vam doesn't use your other cores, it does...but physics (jiggle-jiggle stuff) are the real issue (mostly single threaded).
That's why picking fastest IPC cpu gives benefit over multi core (as of right now).

With your current system you probably don't have issues running other games...sadly VAM is not like the other games.
Imho buying fastest single-thread cpu for sake of getting "most" out of vam v1, is dumb purchase...than again, to each his own ;)
Yes, I am using a laptop and your guess is correct!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom