Question Should I upgrade CPU or GPU for better FPS performance?

fartdoctor

Reactions
My current CPU/GPU setup is a Ryzen 7 2700 and an RX 5600XT, and in VR I'm getting a shaky 30 FPS on pretty basic scenes with one character -- two characters or more complex environments drop things down into the teens pretty quickly. (Performance is much better in desktop mode but I never use it.) I realize that my CPU is older than my GPU, but in a general sense, which device is more of a bottleneck on performance? I'm concerned about upgrading my CPU if it's actually my GPU that's putting a cap on performance.

Also, unrelated, but if anybody knows why the blue and red laser-pointer cursor things are on permanently now and how to turn them off in Play mode, they've been driving me nuts since the last security patch.

Well considering the fact that vam is more cpu single thread perf. dependant.
So out of those 2, your cpu is bigger bottleneck when it comes to vam.
Also taking into count that good old 8700k still outperforms it by a long shot when it comes to single thread performance.

As for gpu well tehnically it is 5700 (non-XT), but slightly cutdown (vram/bus), still solid enough 1080p card (but questionable 1440p and VR).
Depending on resolution you play, you are probably okey with this combo in other games.
But vam is not like other games, it can easily eat fps on any high-end systems. :LOL:

As for your unrelated question.
I don't know, did you check in User Preferences:VR1/VR2?

EDIT: After i put some thought into it: reality is you are in difficult boat right now.
If you had 1600/1700x even 2600 it would be easier to recommend something.
But you have 8core 2700(non-x) and it feels stupid to recommend 3700x (brand new)
or downgrade to 6core 3600x/3600xt just to get faster single thread.
Even 3800x/3800xt feels stupid and overpriced upgrade new or used.Actually any 3000 series feels stupid brand new, only used market.
It also feels stupid to get something like 5600x (if you can find any at decent pricetag)
at that point your 5600xt will be bottleneck (also 2060 super is faster, just saying),
then what? get new gpu? (with crazy gpu prices right now? good luck)

So then you get new cpu+gpu, thats 2 most expensive parts in 99% systems (basically half of system done),
at this point isn't it better just waiting and getting another entire new system?
Also what board you have if you have 300 series (A320/B350/x370) there is no upgrade path for it (from 2nd gen ryzen).
If you have 400 series (b450/x470) atleast you can get 3000 series with bios flash or new 5000 series with beta bios.
Imo 5000 series feels stupid inside 400 series board anyway, less/slower PCIE lanes, no PCIE4, no ResizableBAR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom