Light Options

Plugins Light Options

Stopper

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Stopper submitted a new resource:

Light Options - Adds some additional options to lights

Allows configuring some Unity Light options that the default UI doesn't have.

Usage
  • Add to a Light atom.

Currently supports:
  • shadowCustomResolution - Technically can go above the Very High settings of lights, but the difference is minimal
  • shadowBias - Doesn't cast shadows for close objects

Read more about this resource...

waht setting achieves the quality in the screen shot?

I don't even know. @ptrxxx took the shot and said that the lighting was the only difference. Other people on discord have been using it to amazing effect as well.
It works best with spotlights and high shadow resolution.

I'll try myself later when there's a lull in EVO matches, but can anyone tell me if this works in VR? I couldn't tell from the write-up.

Here's my comparison of old vanilla VAM vs this plugin settings. I'm using all spot lights with very low Shadow Strength 0.02, with 1 extra spot light with high Shadow Strength 0.3 for softer shadows. The plugin settings I've attached basically resolves most issues VAM had with using sharp shadows. Compare 'old' and 'new' in the screenshots, it adds self shadows on the face and correct close shadows for cloth. Amazing!

Some caveats I've found:
  • Lights with low Shadow Strength 0.02 will cause blocky shadows on skin. Use Body Smoother plugin to fix this.
  • The close shadows added by changing shadow bias also adds dark shadows to all transparent clothing like stocking, so they appear much darker.
  • Shadow Resolution greater than 13 has large fps hit, with much smaller gains. You can also use lower Spot Angle in spot lights for sharper shadows.
My plugin settings:
settings.jpg

Pic 1: Vanilla VAM (left) vs With plugin (right). Changes in shadows from necklace and top.
1_old.jpg
1_new.jpg

Pic 2: Vanilla VAM (left) vs With plugin (right). Adds soft shadows for eyes, nostrils and lips
2_old.jpg
2_new.jpg

Awesome work on the plugin. @Stopper you're a genius madman! Looking forward to more light settings.

Last edited:
works amazing, even with hair width set to 3 get nice shadow.

though it cut 25fps in max settings :)

Stopper updated Light Options with a new update entry:

Prototype for Culling Masks and Selective Lighting

• Added toggles to non-session instances of LightOptions that toggle which game layers are affected by the light.
    • Note: by default everything is rendered on layer 0
  • Added a new script, LightLayerEditor, which can be added to atoms to modify which layers they're drawn to
    • For People
      • Use the sliders for skin and hair. The mesh renderer settings don't do much.
      • There is no easy way to change the layer for clothing, unfortunately.

Read the rest of this update entry...

A very stunning plugin, looking forward to more plugins that can improve the quality of VAM images. Most importantly, after setting up, this plugin not only does not reduce the fps, but also to some extent can improve the fps effect by reducing the quality, and the shadows look more realistic.

I really look forward to other plugins that can improve image quality, they are amazing!

So if its added directly to Light it affect shadows only from that light yes? And if its added as session plugin it affect all lights (only Spot?) in scene? What with ligths embeded to CUA?

Is it possible to set light to give shadow only for hairs?
Is it possible to add two plugins to One light and set diffrent parameters for shadow for Hair and Diffrent for all other parts of scene? usualy default shadow are quite good if not for thin objects like hairs :)

All your plugins are game changers in VAM
Really Big thanks for all your creativity.

I don't know if I can make a suggestion about lighting.
Or shaders (I'm not sure).

There is an option missing that could be useful.
a Matte Shadow shader.
For the exemple https://github.com/keijiro/ShadowDrawer
Basically, it's a shader that makes the object transparent. but allows you to see the shadows cast on it.

Heyo @Stopper !

First of all, thank you for this plugin, it is truly a game changer! <3

I would like to know if it would be possible to somehow save the plugin's settings with the scene when added to a light or a person.
Right now whenever I add the plugin to a light or a person and filter out some layers, the plugin forgets all the settings after a reload.

Is it somehow possible to save the layer settings with a scene?

Heyo @Stopper !

First of all, thank you for this plugin, it is truly a game changer! <3

I would like to know if it would be possible to somehow save the plugin's settings with the scene when added to a light or a person.
Right now whenever I add the plugin to a light or a person and filter out some layers, the plugin forgets all the settings after a reload.

Is it somehow possible to save the layer settings with a scene?
same problems here

Stopper updated Light Options with a new update entry:

[Beta] Clothing Layer Selection

• Prototype implementation for clothing layer selection.
    • By default, VAM renders clothing into layer 0, which made it hard to move a character completely into another layer for layer filtering. Fixing this required adding a separate SkinWrap, similar to how multiple states work (i.e. normal/exposed) on some built-in clothing.

There's a lot of room for bugs with this one. Let me know if it doesn't work right for you!

View attachment 312013

Read the rest of this update entry...

Adding the LightLayerEditor the the figure removes all cloth sim. Or am I not supposed to add it to a figure?
Edit - Actually...deleting it and then re-adding it brings the cloth sim back. Also, can you give me a usage scenario where thanging the layer is needed? I'm trying the sliders but don't really understand the effect it's supposed to have.

On scene reload the layer settings I have saved go away and need to switch the layer on and off to make it work again.

May i ask. sometimes when i change Custom Shadow resolution from 14 to 15 vam stops responding. it do not give any error just stop. I have highend pc with 64GB fastest ram, amd 79003dx and 4090 so it shoud not be a problem(and its just sometime). same with changing to 16.

I have a question. After adding it as the default session plugin, it doesn't take effect by default when entering the game each time, and I need to restart it to make it work.:)

May i ask. sometimes when i change Custom Shadow resolution from 14 to 15 vam stops responding. it do not give any error just stop. I have highend pc with 64GB fastest ram, amd 79003dx and 4090 so it shoud not be a problem(and its just sometime). same with changing to 16.

Back
Top Bottom