Answered Interactive license & permission claims

RandomVAMUser

Reactions
A trivial question, but it could be useful info for others ...also I am curious.

I've seen users share ported (or vam imported) paid content from sites like daz3d, renderocity, renderotica (skin textures, clothes, accessories, assets, ...etc).

In most cases even if they claim "i have permission" or "i have interactive license" those type of content is eventually removed from hub.

So my 2 questions, to make it clear or less confusing (for others):
(if there is anything confusing about it...you can't share paid content...the end, no?)

Q1) Is it ok (legal) to share imported/ported content you purchased from sites like renderocity or renderotica (under standard license)?
buy, port, share(as free or paid content) +preferably credit original creator

Q2) Is it ok (legal) to share imported/ported content from sites like daz3d, if you have interactive license (or extended license)?
buy w/ interactive, port, share(as free or paid content) +preferably credit original creator

Basically where does vam team stand legally, when it comes to sharing paid content (either as free or paid),
especially if it's under interactive/extended license or permission claim?

Answer to both Q1 and Q2 is both "nope". VaM requires content to be shipped in a way that essentially gives you access to the individual source files. Doesn't matter whether you modified them or not. Most if not all stores do not allow that, because obviously there would quickly be another store selling the same things without the orginial author getting money. Even the Daz store "interactive licence" does not allow what is needed for VaM assets, you would need to ship it as a "whole game". So, Meshed was able to do this, for example some of the VaM build-in clothing assets are just from Daz store. BUT these are build-in and can't be separated from the game, which is exactly what the interactive license allows. Normal VaM users can't do that. What usually also works are video and screenshots, etc.

Where the VaM team stands on this does not matter, all that matters is the license of the stuff you brought. So, if unsure read it. If you want to share it in VaM context, make a deal with the original author. Waving with some $$$ may open doors ;)

TL;DR Version: Read the licence of the stuff you wanna use and/or make a deal with the original author to get a more useful license for your context.

Upvote 0
Answer to both Q1 and Q2 is both "nope". VaM requires content to be shipped in a way that essentially gives you access to the individual source files. Doesn't matter whether you modified them or not. Most if not all stores do not allow that, because obviously there would quickly be another store selling the same things without the orginial author getting money. Even the Daz store "interactive licence" does not allow what is needed for VaM assets, you would need to ship it as a "whole game". So, Meshed was able to do this, for example some of the VaM build-in clothing assets are just from Daz store. BUT these are build-in and can't be separated from the game, which is exactly what the interactive license allows. Normal VaM users can't do that. What usually also works are video and screenshots, etc.
This sums it up nicely, thanks for clarifying. ;)

Where the VaM team stands on this does not matter, all that matters is the license of the stuff you brought.
Yes, but thanks to the nature of content sharing (inside VaM) this was more of a sub-question.
Are hub resources (free/paid) with interactive or permission claims inside a 'gray area'?

Especially if quick google search can reveal originals as paid content inside said stores.
So porting & sharing it on hub (or even reseling it) is the confusing part. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Added this thread to the FAQ. Lots of confusion around this topic and important for it not to be lost in the Forum threads as time goes by.
Cheers, guys

Upvote 0
Moderator here. MacGruber has it right. Daz, Renderocity, etc, stuff, even the free assets, cannot be shared on the hub. Every asset store I've looked at has license terms that require assets to be embedded in the program in such a way that users can't easily access the files.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom