Question Import assets through the clothing creator?

Origin69

Reactions
I've been thinking about this one for a while. I feel it should be possible, but I may be asking for the Moon.

If an asset/prop/furniture/environment etc. (anything that would normally be made into a CUA) can be saved as a daz scene subset, would it be feasible to import it into Vam directly through the clothing creator's function?
You would then have direct access to the materials and textures to make or even trigger changes in Vam. You could also make and save presets.

I don't know if asset collisions could be achieved this way, it may be tricky. The clothing creator is setup for generating cloth sim.

I do know adding and hiding a person atom with each asset would be extremely resource intensive.

Does anyone with experience in Vam and plugin development know if it's possible to;

1. Remove the mesh and colliders of a person atom so they are not loaded when loading a scene.
...or 2. Use the import function of the clothing creator on an empty atom. If we could put a plugin on an empty atom that gives a tab for the importer and a tab for a saved assets library (like the clothing tab) that would be the goal.

3. Include collisions/physics or maybe even rigging to things imported with this method.

There are some incredible, talented and possibly even handsome/beautiful creator out there. Can someone help me lasso the moon?

I'm not 100% certain what you're asking there so I'm going to start typing and hopefully your questions are answered somewhere down the line. It sounds like you want to import assets directly from DAZ into VAM (without going through Unity).

Specifically, it sounds like you're considering having a dummy person with no physics or visible meshes 'wear' a couch as clothing for the purposes of loading it into the scene. If that's the case then my intuition is that yes, you can probably do it but you'd be much better off with a custom plugin that imports DAZ files directly.

To answer your specific questions:

If an asset/prop/furniture/environment etc. (anything that would normally be made into a CUA) can be saved as a daz scene subset, would it be feasible to import it into Vam directly through the clothing creator's function?
You would then have direct access to the materials and textures to make or even trigger changes in Vam. You could also make and save presets.

The clothing import tool is specifically designed to import DAZ files as clothing. Apart from loading in the geometry/materials, it also 'wraps' them to the model so that it follows the movements of the skin.

As such, the Clothing Importer cannot feasibly be used to import anything other than clothing as it would turn it into clothing.

1. Remove the mesh and colliders of a person atom so they are not loaded when loading a scene.

Yeah, that's possible (via plugin). Typically you'd do it after loading the scene since all the models are loaded from preset files

2. Use the import function of the clothing creator on an empty atom. If we could put a plugin on an empty atom that gives a tab for the importer and a tab for a saved assets library (like the clothing tab) that would be the goal.

Not natively. The clothing importer relies on the presence of skin. (Technically, you can create a dummy skin with an arbitrary geometry but let's not go there)

3. Include collisions/physics or maybe even rigging to things imported with this method.

Again, the clothing importer can't do it but a custom plugin might be able to. Note: I don't think DAZ colliders, but you can create them from the mesh.

I'll close by saying that it should be possible to import many 3D formats into VAM. You're only limited by what Unity supports. Not to simplify it too much, but a Unity mesh only needs vertices, triangles, UVs, and materials (textures). If you can get those out a file format you can render it in a VAM scene.

That being said, it'll likely be a lot easier to go through Unity as it likely already has support for converting from other formats.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi Stopper.

Thank you for getting back so quick. Yes, you figured what I was getting at.

I have some basic experience creating cua's. It just bugged me that I couldn't access the materials to change the textures or adjust the settings natively in vam. I also feel that alot of creators who understand the workflow to make clothing get held up by the method for making assets and environment going through unity. I was just trying to think of a way to streamline the process and make it possible to save assets/environments in vam (lIke the clothing menu, but for assets.)

I'll have to read up some more about plugin creation, specifically about importing a daz scene file directly.

Thank you again for your fantastic work on the alternate futa plugin.

I've tested wrapping clothing to the genitals and it works. I messaged WeebUVR to see if they wanted to add the clothing Geo item made for the male clothing so it uses the base G2m Gens textures. I can make one, but I've always used WeebU's version in my scenes before, so I thought it best to wait and give WeebU the credit.

If you want any help with texture work I'm here for you. I made custom Gens textures and Normal maps for my Medusa and Hellraiser looks. You are welcome to use them if you want to make some clothing presets. I can blend them with any body texture you like, or make new ones.

Upvote 0
Hi Stopper.

Thank you for getting back so quick. Yes, you figured what I was getting at.

I have some basic experience creating cua's. It just bugged me that I couldn't access the materials to change the textures or adjust the settings natively in vam. I also feel that alot of creators who understand the workflow to make clothing get held up by the method for making assets and environment going through unity. I was just trying to think of a way to streamline the process and make it possible to save assets/environments in vam (lIke the clothing menu, but for assets.)

I'll have to read up some more about plugin creation, specifically about importing a daz scene file directly.

Thank you again for your fantastic work on the alternate futa plugin.

I've tested wrapping clothing to the genitals and it works. I messaged WeebUVR to see if they wanted to add the clothing Geo item made for the male clothing so it uses the base G2m Gens textures. I can make one, but I've always used WeebU's version in my scenes before, so I thought it best to wait and give WeebU the credit.

If you want any help with texture work I'm here for you. I made custom Gens textures and Normal maps for my Medusa and Hellraiser looks. You are welcome to use them if you want to make some clothing presets. I can blend them with any body texture you like, or make new ones.

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but If you or someone else ends up looking at this I recommend starting at the ImportDufCo method of the DAZImport class.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom