Question I'm new, can you help me edit a FaceGen texture in an .obj file in Blender?

Caliope

Reactions
I'm new to everything, Vam, Daz, Blender, Facegen. But I'm interested in creating characters in Vam in the near future. I created a character in FaceGen and then ran it in Vam, however the texture is not very accurate and I want to edit it.

-My specific purpose is to see the .obj file that allows you to export Vam with its textures in Blender, Daz or any other modeling program so that you can later edit the texture and correct it. I understand that it must be something simple, but I don't know anything about textures, I would also like to know the use of the .mtl file generated by Vam.

I'm learning Blender and Photoshop but the knowledge is vast and I can't find the specific information I need. Thanks for the help, I attached some images for reference.

These are my files
11.png

I load the .obj file into blender.
22.png

Switch to material preview but I don't see the texture just a purple color... 😭
33.png

I watched some tutorials and in material properties I changed surface and color. But I don't think it's the right way, because some textures don't apply well.
44.png

-I know Blender isn't exactly used for texture editing. I think Photoshop, Gimp or Substance Painter are used more. But I would like to know how to visualize my creation in one of these programs with its textures.

-As I repeat, I am new to Vam and I do not pretend to be an expert in all the software that is used, I just want to learn what is necessary. And also share what you've learned with those who don't know anything about these programs.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 55.png
    55.png
    952.8 KB · Views: 0
I guess the textures do not match is related to UV sets not being the same.
Your filenames says "Olympia" which is know from DAZ for a more specialized character with non standard UV set.
The standard is just named "Base Female".

In VAM you can check the used UVs by loading your character > [Skin Textures] > It says "UV Set Used for this Skin": ...

In DAZ select your Genesis 2 Female > Surfaces-tab > search "UV" > shows a menu with for example "Base Female" selected.
DAZ UV Set.png

Maybe you loaded the Facegen texture, which I guess are for "Base Female" onto a "Olympia" model in VAM and that was the reason why it did not match in the first place?
Notice how in VAM all skins listed in the [Skin Select]-tab their UV set-names. "Victoria 6", "Olympia", "Stephanie 6", etc...
Textures made for Victoria 6 would not match for Stephanie 6.

Try loading one which uses "Base Female" and then load the texture from Facegen on it. Does that match better?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The textures were never in a "female base", FaceGen generated the textures together with a DSON (.dsf) file, I tried to open it in DAZ, but couldn't. So I copied the file into Vam, then opened it as morph, before placing the textures I chose a body type called "Olympia", and on top of that I loaded the textures for the head, torso, etc. I think I know how to load textures in a "female base". But it's generic, not the one I created, so the face textures won't fit.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestions, thanks!

Upvote 0
The textures were never in a "female base", FaceGen generated the textures together with a DSON (.dsf) file, I tried to open it in DAZ, but couldn't. So I copied the file into Vam, then opened it as morph, before placing the textures I chose a body type called "Olympia", and on top of that I loaded the textures for the head, torso, etc. I think I know how to load textures in a "female base". But it's generic, not the one I created, so the face textures won't fit.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestions, thanks!
May I ask if you have solved your problem now? I recently encountered a similar problem. I'm guessing it's for these reasons. We can change the shape and texture map of the base female, but we can't change the uv of this base female. we can make our own texture map at the same time when the third party modifies the shape. But the base female's uv never changes. Even if we force her uv to be aligned with the deformed character in the third-party software, the modified uv can neither be imported nor exported to daz. therefore, in vam, we can import the deformation and texture from outside, but not the uv, resulting in the base female's uv remaining at the default uv, which results in the texture and character shape not matching because it doesn't seem to achieve the effect we need.

Upvote 0
I was curious about what you're ultimately trying to do. If you just want to adjust or touch up the textures created by Facegen I think Photoshop or GIMP are your best options. Not exactly sure why you want to do this in Blender. Maybe give more details about what your ultimate goal is?

Upvote 0
I was curious about what you're ultimately trying to do. If you just want to adjust or touch up the textures created by Facegen I think Photoshop or GIMP are your best options. Not exactly sure why you want to do this in Blender. Maybe give more details about what your ultimate goal is?
First, Facegen can only generate textures from three images with very accurate angles, while blender can generate textures from many different photos at will. Therefore, the textures created by blender are of much higher quality than those of facegen, and similarly, the deformations obtained by blender are much better than those obtained by facegen. Second, if you adjust the textures through photoshop, not only is it difficult to adjust, but you need to adjust every time you generate a character. If it is in blender, as long as the uv of the character is adjusted to the uv of the g2 base female, it is a million dollar affair, and all the raw textures can be used directly.

Upvote 0
@lianshiye0 I was actually posing the question to the OP @Caliope since he uses Facegen so I was wondering what his ultimate goal is in using Facegen and Blender. It sounds like you do all your work in Blender because it gives you a lot of extra flexibility to fine tune your model. I know in my case I can use Facegen with just one high res image and get very good results, sometimes needing a minor touch up in Photoshop.

Upvote 0
@lianshiye0 I was actually posing the question to the OP @Caliope since he uses Facegen so I was wondering what his ultimate goal is in using Facegen and Blender. It sounds like you do all your work in Blender because it gives you a lot of extra flexibility to fine tune your model. I know in my case I can use Facegen with just one high res image and get very good results, sometimes needing a minor touch up in Photoshop.
I still have some problems to solve in blender. I'm interested in what you said about using facegen to solve problems and I'm curious about how you did it. You said you solved the problem with just one HD photo. However, a photo can only have a front face effect, right? How do you solve the distortion and texture of the side face?

Upvote 0
How do you solve the distortion and texture of the side face?

I haven't really noticed that. If I use a super hi-res photo I seem to get a very nice result although I do have to play around with the morph settings to make the atom look more like the real person. It might be that you're just looking for better results than I am.

One of these days I hope to upload some of my Looks here on the hub but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom