HP Reverb G2 Non Responsive - Share Your Bindings? Other Headsets You'd Recommend?

The Vamalorian

Reactions
First, a simple request. If you have a HP Reverb G2 and it's working in VaM, can you PLEASE share a screen grab of your binding settings and a grab of your VaM VR preferences? I'm at my wits end and have been out of VaM in VR for months.

If you want to read my full history and tech problems and can either provide help or jump in the thread and let me know if you have similar issues, I'd appreciate it. If you can just share the above, that's fine too.

[The Full Story]

Installed VaM like 2 years ago. Worked great. Started with a Reverb G2. Very happy. About 6 months ago, out of the blue, the controllers just STOPPED effing working in VaM. Completely non responsive. Can't even see the controllers on screen in VaM. All other Steam games work great. No video issues, no major system changes, nothing.

I've read every forum post on resetting bindings in Steam, remapping directory paths and not only do none of them work, often times, they refer to settings through Vibe or Oculus or some-such and those mappings or settings are just NOT available so the things I'm being told to click on. (Which is why I'd love to see your settings if you have a G2)

I've gone so far as to format my windows box down the the bare metal, complete OS install, completely fresh install of VaM, completely reinstalled Steam and SteamVR. Nothing. Same problem, everything functions in every other Steam App and it says I can edit bindings in VaM but when I move the controllers or click buttons NOTHING happen.

So, if you can please throw me a bone, I'd appreciate it. I'm about ready to eBay this G2 and see about a different headset. If you have a headset you recommend that you think would be a smoother fix or ANYTHING you can show me or tell me that's not already posted on this board I'd be very grateful.

My specs: HPG2, Windows 10, i5, 32gb of ram, multiple TB of hard drive space, nVidia 3070 from EVGA.

Many thanks,

Unfortunately I don't have my G2 anymore to send you anything, but I've never had any issues like the ones you mention and use the default bindings. Had other problems like SteamVR crashing and all, but usually a update would fix (or crash it again). Even found early on the motherboard was the root cause of crashes, but that was later fixed with firmware updates.
If you can, would be great to try out on a different PC, just to see if it loads and shows the controllers. See also if you can update the firmware of devices like your motherboard.

I sold my G2 and got a Pico 4 as I needed a tetherless headset. I'm very happy with my purchase, it fits my current needs better than the G2 was as I barely use for other things than VAM.

@Saint66 has a G2 if I'm not mistaken, and hopefully some insight on this topic?

Ok, can't remember who it is then 🤦‍♂️

@The Vamalorian
Hop in Discord and ask who has a G2, may work better for you than the forum.

Atani, thank you so much for all of your effort in trying to help me. I'll jump in Discord and see.

On a separate not do you or anyone else reading this thread have a suggestion as to a different headset other than the G2 that seems to work with VaM exceptionally well that doesn't have a bunch of control issues like this?

No problem, see you there.

Did it on a earlier reply, a Pico 4. Of course, if you're willing to spend over 1000 € there's better equipment to get.

First, a simple request. If you have a HP Reverb G2 and it's working in VaM, can you PLEASE share a screen grab of your binding settings and a grab of your VaM VR preferences? I'm at my wits end and have been out of VaM in VR for months.

If you want to read my full history and tech problems and can either provide help or jump in the thread and let me know if you have similar issues, I'd appreciate it. If you can just share the above, that's fine too.

[The Full Story]

Installed VaM like 2 years ago. Worked great. Started with a Reverb G2. Very happy. About 6 months ago, out of the blue, the controllers just STOPPED effing working in VaM. Completely non responsive. Can't even see the controllers on screen in VaM. All other Steam games work great. No video issues, no major system changes, nothing.

I've read every forum post on resetting bindings in Steam, remapping directory paths and not only do none of them work, often times, they refer to settings through Vibe or Oculus or some-such and those mappings or settings are just NOT available so the things I'm being told to click on. (Which is why I'd love to see your settings if you have a G2)

I've gone so far as to format my windows box down the the bare metal, complete OS install, completely fresh install of VaM, completely reinstalled Steam and SteamVR. Nothing. Same problem, everything functions in every other Steam App and it says I can edit bindings in VaM but when I move the controllers or click buttons NOTHING happen.

So, if you can please throw me a bone, I'd appreciate it. I'm about ready to eBay this G2 and see about a different headset. If you have a headset you recommend that you think would be a smoother fix or ANYTHING you can show me or tell me that's not already posted on this board I'd be very grateful.

My specs: HPG2, Windows 10, i5, 32gb of ram, multiple TB of hard drive space, nVidia 3070 from EVGA.

Many thanks,
I have a G2 and something similar to me happened about two months ago. My controllers stopped working out of the blue. However, in my case I beleived it had something to do with a Steam Vr update. Unfortunately during the troubleshooting process I got so frustrated I stopped taking note of the changes I made which may have fixed the issue. Did you check your Steam Vr settings? My OpenXR runtime is set to Windows Mixed Reality.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 01.png
    ScreenHunter 01.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter 02.png
    ScreenHunter 02.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a G2 and something similar to me happened about two months ago. My controllers stopped working out of the blue. However, in my case I beleived it had something to do with a Steam Vr update. Unfortunately during the troubleshooting process I got so frustrated I stopped taking note of the changes I made which may have fixed the issue. Did you check your Steam Vr settings? My OpenXR runtime is set to Windows Mixed Reality.

Hey @Toddy any chance you can send me screen grabs of your steam bindings?

I hope this is what you wanted. If not, give a description on how to find it.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 02.png
    ScreenHunter 02.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter 03.png
    ScreenHunter 03.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter 04.png
    ScreenHunter 04.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter 05.png
    ScreenHunter 05.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 0
You're a god among men. EXACTLY what I wanted. I'll give this a whirl and keep you posted. Thank you sir!
reverb g2 (first model) user since... a lot: my best steam bindings for Vam are those absolutely standard default (fucking) steamVR. Never had issues ... (NEVER).
I tried on my first day with reverb, some custom settings with key bindings, but it was really not worth.
If your reverb usb connections are ok and the controllers internal circuits are also ok... and you have also at least a soft light on in your room (tracking cameras need some extra light, besides that nice leds circle of our controllers) ... I wish you find the same good fun with vam I still get after so a long time.
good luck!

ps: my windows mixed reality settings are obviously on the option "best quality" and I get good performance with also good fap[frame]-rate. i713700k, rtx3080, 32GB ram on MSI 690A pro ddr4.

Last edited:
reverb g2 (first model) user since... a lot: my best steam bindings for Vam are those absolutely standard default (fucking) steamVR. Never had issues ... (NEVER).
I tried on my first day with reverb, some custom settings with key bindings, but it was really not worth.
If your reverb usb connections are ok and the controllers internal circuits are also ok... and you have also at least a soft light on in your room (tracking cameras need some extra light, besides that nice leds circle of our controllers) ... I wish you find the same good fun with vam I still get after so a long time.
good luck!

ps: my windows mixed reality settings are obviously on the option "best quality" and I get good performance with also good fap[frame]-rate. i713700k, rtx3080, 32GB ram on MSI 690A pro ddr4.
@keycode I agree. Up until the controllers stopped working I was most happy. I still haven't got this figured out. I'm just curious if you've kept up with the latest updates for VAM and SteamVR and WMR? I'm wondering if updating those screwed up my setup. I'm just so confused as to why my G2 works perfectly on every other app but the controllers go completely dead when I load VAM. They don't even work on the main menu. Grateful for any insight you can provide. If you have none, that's cool too. Thanks.

@keycode I agree. Up until the controllers stopped working I was most happy. I still haven't got this figured out. I'm just curious if you've kept up with the latest updates for VAM and SteamVR and WMR? I'm wondering if updating those screwed up my setup. I'm just so confused as to why my G2 works perfectly on every other app but the controllers go completely dead when I load VAM. They don't even work on the main menu. Grateful for any insight you can provide. If you have none, that's cool too. Thanks.
I specified my motherboard for a good reason (the related usb 3 controllers class matters). And yes, I keep my system (win 11 and of course the included mixed reality), steam crapware and nvidia crapware and my MSI bios updated, my vam is working always on its last current version. So...
If everything works but vam, you are at a very good point: if it's all updated and you are 100% sure that steamVR is on its fucking standard settings ...
the only things I was setting manually are the controllers haptic > off, the steamVR display max resolution to the reverb specific (it's around 70% of the default crap setting in steamVR.. more or less) and some other crap options we don't need like the automatic dynamic interpolated frames.

All those shit options I mentioned they have anyway NOTHING to do with your reverb controllers vam-behaviour (just the haptic controllers vibration I was putting OFF in my settings so I could save some batteries power) .

There is a "reset headset" in steamVR settings ... that is a good action you can try. But you should do that if vam "Sync/Repair all" is not enough to solve the problem (action you can activate when you open your Vam_Updater.exe), or try with a vam clean "virgin" bitch install .

The fact that everything works but vam (vam that some periods before was ok) can also be motivated by another game/application that was permanently mod. your steamVR settings ?? Try to investigate about this too ;)

ps: since the arrival of the fucking quest 3 I was definitively putting sleeping in a box my poor reverb g2
in C:\Users\"your_name"\AppData\LocalLow\MeshedVR you can read a file "output_log.txt" that vam saves each time you start the program. There is a 13th line related to "touch [controllers? touch_screen_fuckingsensor?? I don't know]" you can look at. (and "normally" an average absurdly long list mentioning your duplicates files, .var with errors etc. :sleep:)>

Initialize engine version: 2018.1.9f1 (24bbd83e8b9e)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (ID=0x220a)
Vendor:
VRAM: 12107 MB
Driver: 31.0.15.3758 [I use nvidia "studio" drivers so I get a lot less crapware updates]
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.071 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
<RI> Initialized touch support.
UnloadTime: 0.623800 ms
Asset Manager Ready

of course if I was you I would not share this file in vam morality_discord support channel if you care at your privacy :p , but you can try there too and of course you will find much better halal advices than mine. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom