Recommend VR headset

Produce361

Reactions
What VR headset would you recommend specifically just for virtamate. I don't mind wires or having fb tied to it? Here are my specs. OMEN 40L DESKTOP GT21-0148Z, WINDOWS 11 HOME, AMD RYZEN™ 7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, AMD GEFORCE 6600XT

Last edited:
Post your PC spec otherwise its hard to recommend anything.

Broadly speaking its index if you want mocap tracking abilities or quest2 due to the pricepoint.

Quest requires a good deal more power to run due to the high res.

Post your PC spec otherwise its hard to recommend anything.

Broadly speaking its index if you want mocap tracking abilities or quest2 due to the pricepoint.

Quest requires a good deal more power to run due to the high res.

OMEN 40L DESKTOP GT21-0148Z, WINDOWS 11 HOME, AMD RYZEN™ 7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, AMD GEFORCE 6600XT

I think I replied to you over on the main discord.

tldr: it will do vr but you might not get so much performance with quest2 as its got a lot of pixels to move, index at lower res would work better but then its 3x the price...

I use a Quest 2 and have been happy with it. Maybe that's because I don't know what I'm missing with something more powerful and expensive.

Keep in mind that the Quest 2 has only 3 positions for IPD (inter-pupilary distance).

Happy owner of a Reverb G2. Facebook? No thank you.
But, more expensive and demanding of your hardware, cables only. To compensate the display is excellent and damn high resolution, IPD adjustment slider and comfortable strap.
Never used a Quest 2 to compare, just sharing an option closer to mentioned Index in terms of build quality and SteamVR focus.

I'n using the Oculus Rift and i'm happy with it.. I don't have any experience with the Quest serie's. But if I need to buy a new VR headset right now, it would be the Valve Index.

Even though i'm happy with my Oculus Rift and the support is really good. They even send me parts for free, even outside the warranty time. But I aint going to buy a new Oculus. Just simply because of the fact that they force you to use Facebook account, otherwise the VR headset doesn't work. I do still have a Oculus "old" account, but they want to get rid of it.

So, I would go now for a Valve Index if I need to buy a new one. There are also other good brands, but I don't know how much they are supported by VR games and applications. Valve Index does also have really good body trackers.

You can't go wrong with a Valve Index, since many software is based on that headset.

Last edited:
But:
" Of course, Meta still owns the product and benefits from every purchase, so you still have to think about that. "
This was a key point of not getting one, but that's me. It's a good product from what I heard.

You don't need facebook to use quest 2 anymore (y)

"Meta" account which almost sounds the same. :p

Is it the same as the Oculus account, or still different? Don't get me wrong Oculus are very good products, support is really good, even send me parts outside of warranty for free. But that whole Facebook and Meta stuff, I don't like. I also don't wanna use WhatsApp anymore, but I have no choice since all my friends, family and colleagues are using it.

I also don't like Google. I'm against that whole collecting information from users. I would rather go for a Vavle Index.

Also one of the reasons why I use duckduckgo instead of google search engine. When i'm looking at something on my PC, for example a product that I need, I receive commercials on my phone from what I just searched on my PC.

I have now Firefox with plugins installed, with addblockers, social media blockers etc. I'm done with all that.

I order myself a new phone this weekend, the Samsung S22 ultra after years of using Sony. I'm going to install a custom rom on it. Get rid of all the bloatware I don't use and all the other crap.

So it would be wonferful if the Oculus rift or Quest series would get third-party drivers, which would make the headset work the same but without the Oculus or Meta account.

Last edited:
as someone that had a rift s I thought i was happy. Then I got a reverb g2 and i'd never look back. They are even on sale now. The build quality and thoughtfulness that went into the design, plus the increased clarity and fov are more than worth it over any Meta product, it's not even close.

@Toonen1988
You are on the right way buddy, keep going. (y)

I'm pretty satisfied with my index, though I don't have a ton of choices. My ipd is around 74, the reverb g2 has 68 max. Why do manufacturers don't expand it? Where's the big problem, it's just a slider ...

I would love to try some newer headset, any ideas with big ipd and fov?

The problem of the index for me is the image quality.
Yes, the supersampling is good but the G2 is even more beautiful, no ?

The valve controllers are better than those of the G2.

Maybe the cambria ?

The quest 2 I find too blurred, we quickly lose the effect "😱 wouahhh".

I have never tried the G2 but I would love. But I also like the Index controllers a lot. First world problems.

Back
Top Bottom