Answered How to make sure I don't share something I shouldn't...

WolfmanVR

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
wolfmanvr
Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to VaM, and so far I'm blown away by the program and the community. I've been learning the ropes and would like to start sharing some stuff as well (both for feedback and to give back to the community). However, I want to make sure I don't share anything that isn't ok to share. I see that a lot of people call out the creators of materials they used that were created/owned by other people. Is there an easy way to determine which atoms, textures, clothes, hair, environments, etc. came with VaM vs. ones that I've added into AddonPackages or under the Custom folder?

I just want to make sure I don't step on anyone's toes here...

Thanks!

WolfmanVR

The easiest way of telling what type of a license a certain VAR has is to open a package manager:

VAM_PackageMan.png

and highlight desired VAR package on the left. On the right side you should have all information about license (usually CC-BY) of the package contents:

Nx7XDhvAF7.gif

As far as I know, packages labelled as "MeshedVR" came with VAM.

Another way is to open a VAR file in 7-Zip or another ZIP management file (VAR files are basically ZIP files) and view the file META.JSON in the root folder of the package. It should have all the license, authors and dependencies information.

KG

Upvote 0
I just played around with the package builder. It tells me everything I want to know and who to credit, if necessary. Perfect! I hope to upload my first model/scene in the next day or two.

WolfmanVR

Upvote 0
I hope to upload my first model/scene in the next day or two.

What??? I am fairly new myself, I've been playing around with VAM for 3-4 months now. But I am not ready to share anything I create because of poor quality of my scenes. How come you are so creative? ;)

Upvote 0
Last question on this thread, that is somewhat related....

So if I have a model, and I also have a scene with that model, should I:

1) Package the model, and then package the Scene WITHOUT the model (specifying that the model is required for the scene, and putting a link from the Scene page to the Looks page) - That would work, correct?
... or ...
2) Package the model, and also package the Scene WITH the model (which would be a waste of disk space if someone downloads both the Look and the Scene, because they'd be getting the large textures twice).
... or ...
3) Skip just the model / Look and go straight to the Scene post with the model included?

Other suggestions?

I'm already seeing how this program and all the packages can really start to chew up disk space after a while, so I thought I'd see what other people think. I'm leaning towards #1, since it saves disk space and gives the most flexibility.

Thanks for your input!

WolfmanVR

Upvote 0
Last question on this thread, that is somewhat related....

So if I have a model, and I also have a scene with that model, should I:

1) Package the model, and then package the Scene WITHOUT the model (specifying that the model is required for the scene, and putting a link from the Scene page to the Looks page) - That would work, correct?
... or ...
2) Package the model, and also package the Scene WITH the model (which would be a waste of disk space if someone downloads both the Look and the Scene, because they'd be getting the large textures twice).
... or ...
3) Skip just the model / Look and go straight to the Scene post with the model included?

Other suggestions?

I'm already seeing how this program and all the packages can really start to chew up disk space after a while, so I thought I'd see what other people think. I'm leaning towards #1, since it saves disk space and gives the most flexibility.

Thanks for your input!

WolfmanVR

In my opinion the best way to do it would be to first do the look and package it into var.

After that put the var file in your own addonpackage folder and use the look from that var when you are making the scene.

That way it adds the look as a dependency into the scene. Both will be separate but the scene would have automatic depency link to the look it requires when downloading the scene from HUB.

Upvote 0
@Mantamo - Gotcha, that makes sense. If I understand correctly, it would be slightly different than building a scene off of a Save because it won't see the Save as a VAR, and then won't see it as a dependency. Unfortunately, I build my scene off of a Save of my custom model/textures (before I made the model into a VAR), so the VAR won't show as a dependency now. Time to rebuild, I guess...

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom