How to import a morph?

Demetri64

Reactions
Hi there, I have to make a morph since the 1.18 version, if I remember correct. Now in the latest version 1.20 I tried to fix an issue I had with the eye closing of a model with an MCMmorph, but the .dsf file is not converted to .vmi and .vmb like it was happening with the older version. Does anyone has a clue on that? I would be graceful if I could get some help.

Nothing has changed between 1.18 and 1.20 that would prevent a morph from being imported. Assuming the .dsf file was put in the correct directory (Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs\female or male), it should work. Unless there's something wrong with the morph itself.

Are you sure it's a "genesis 2" morph?

So VaM 1.x or better Genesis 2 does not support JCM, and the TriAx rigging is using bulge maps instead, for which I don't know how VaM makes use of, it is a bit unclear how and if it uses MCM for non-joint bending like on eye lids, too. This is something maybe only MeshedVR knows about.
From my experience: Sometimes MCM work as normal morphs, most of the time they don't.
So MCMs are a special form of morphs with additional informations like linking to other morphs, there is a good chance it may be incompatible. But like DJ said, AFAIR there were no big changes between 1.18 and 1.2, so this is a bit mysterious.
Though, I would dare to say: If it is in the right folder and Genesis 2, and VaM doesn't auto-create its .vmi/.vmb files, it is something like what is called a "faulty morph" in VaM. Please have a look at the VaM morph folders, if you find a folder for rejected morphs. You may want to have a look at the "Auto" section, too. But there is a good chance that it is just broken.
For your current issue, you maybe want to try to create your own custom morph via DAZ3d, or maybe have a look at all those many custom eye- and eye correction morphs being around in several VaM morph packages.
You may be successful with comparing and editing the .dsf file, but that is something I never have tried.

Thank you so much for your replies, I checked with other morph and VAM 1.20 indeed auto-creates the .vmi/.vmb files. So my problem is the MCM morph I created in DAZ and how can I implement it to VAM
CaptureVAM0.JPG

the problem I am facing when eyes are closed is similar to that in DAZ, look the images above and below

CaptureDAZ0.JPG

in DAZ I have solved this issue by an MCM morph using both Matilda morph (the character) and Eyes Closed Left morph see the left eye of the image below

CaptureDAZ1.JPG

is there a way to make this MCM work in VAM?

Finally I succeeded to make it work with some editing of the .dsf files from DAZ, thank you @TToby and @DJ you gave me good hints to look for the solution, (see the image). It is somehow complex process with a lot of steps and I have done only the left eye as a proof of concept.
CaptureVAM1.JPG

Last edited:
Gratulation!
This looks much better now.
I still have not completely understand what you mean with MCM.
Did you use the DAZ MCM-system with linked morphs?
Or do you have created a normal custom morph with a 3D modeling tool (or by mergin some DAZ-morphs), to support the distorted eye-closing, and you just call this an MCM (what would be correct, but a bit confusing)?
Anyways, I would have suggested the second way (or I would have edited the "Mathilda" morph directly).
But your way was successfull, too.

@TToby I created the proper left eye closed deformation of "Matilda" in Blender and I created an MCM in DAZ combining the default left eye closed morph plus the imported morph from Blender for "Matilda" (all those I did following a tutorial). Then I realize I had problem imported this new MCM to VAM. The morphs mechanism was something new to me but by trying different things and editing the .dsf morph files form DAZ I thing that I start to understand better now.
I believe the second option as you describe is better and simple, to use the Blender closed eye correction as normal morph and not as an MCM of an existing morph, the drawback I think is that the "Matilda" will have specific morphs for her, thus losing the compatibility for the scenes of other creators (or not?).
The solution I end up, gave me the ability to combine multiple morphs using one, by editing the dsf files of existing morphs.
And now the big question how I link morph to bone movements?
Thank you for your support

And now the big question how I link morph to bone movements?

You are welcome.
VaM 1.x has no JCM (Joint Correction Morph) system. Here is a plugin that emulates something in this direction:
Maybe you want to have a look at the code.
But as you may allready know, the eyelids movements are not controlled by joints or bones.
My suggestion: maybe just edit/repair the Mathilda-morph's eyelids, instead of curing the symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom