Question How to create a custom background?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
Kind of a noob question but what is the process for creating a custom background in VaM? For example, let's say I wanted a brick wall. I'm assuming it's not as easy as just importing a .jpg or .png image. Is it something I can create in Photoshop and if so what are the specs I need to follow and the output format? Or must it be created in a 3D program like DAZ or Blender? Any tutorials or videos on this?

You can apply a jpeg image as a texture to a wall Its in the materials tab . There are three options param render and texture. on texture click select tab and pick image you want to apply. the offset should be 1 for x and 2 for y. on the param settings you may need to adjust spec and diffuse offsets to get a sharp image.

Upvote 0
Any tips or instructions on how to create my own logo or art (like the VaM logo) that I can hang or post on the wall? I assume this might need to be a png file so it can be on a transparent background, but what folder would I save it in and what option is used to add it to the wall?

Upvote 0
You can load it from any folder on your pc. If you take lots of screenshots don't make a folder inside your screenshot folder it takes a long time to open. As far as creating a logo photoshop? I don't know of any free software maybe some else does. You might even consider paying a graphic artist to make one if its simple design it might be cheaper (time is money) lol. So select wall control then click 1 then 2 then 3 in open explorer window navigate to your image and select it. I don't think .png files can be applied to walls.
Under select the the top two rows of 4 sliders are to adjust amount of picture tiles and centering of image. The Params tab ,two tabs to the left of 2 , has settings that can be used to tweak your image .

Wall toot.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are also ImagePanel, ImagePanelEmmisive, and ImagePanelTransparentEmmisive atoms you can add images to. You can adjust them to be whatever size you want. You'll find them under add atom>misc.

Upvote 0
As you ask about a logo...I assume you want to use this to present your content. Some looks or something? Sure, its new software to learn, but you could make this look a LOT better by importing your wall from Unity. That way you could use a PBR material for your wall and it will look better by a factor of 10. Because normal map, displacement, ambient occlusion, etc.....not just flat image.

In Unity:
  1. create a plane or quad in your scene
  2. create a new material in a folder
  3. Find some nice free PBR wall material, e.g. from here: https://ambientcg.com/list?category...=&q=+wall+&method=&type=Material&sort=Popular
  4. Download the material into your Unity project assets folder, unzip if needed
  5. Check whether it's imported correctly. E.g. normal maps are not always detected as normal maps and you have to tell Unity it's a normal map
  6. edit your Unity material. Pick one of the "Standard" shaders (matching what types of textures you got) and assign the textures to it
  7. drag the material onto your geometry (from project window into the hierarchy window)
  8. Follow this guide to get it into VaM: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/unity-assetbundles-for-vam-1-xx.167/

Upvote 0
As you ask about a logo...I assume you want to use this to present your content. Some looks or something? Sure, its new software to learn, but you could make this look a LOT better by importing your wall from Unity. That way you could use a PBR material for your wall and it will look better by a factor of 10. Because normal map, displacement, ambient occlusion, etc.....not just flat image.

In Unity:
  1. create a plane or quad in your scene
  2. create a new material in a folder
  3. Find some nice free PBR wall material, e.g. from here: https://ambientcg.com/list?category...=&q=+wall+&method=&type=Material&sort=Popular
  4. Download the material into your Unity project assets folder, unzip if needed
  5. Check whether it's imported correctly. E.g. normal maps are not always detected as normal maps and you have to tell Unity it's a normal map
  6. edit your Unity material. Pick one of the "Standard" shaders (matching what types of textures you got) and assign the textures to it
  7. drag the material onto your geometry (from project window into the hierarchy window)
  8. Follow this guide to get it into VaM: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/unity-assetbundles-for-vam-1-xx.167/
Thanks for answering my questions, But I also want to know how to add scenes with animation, I saw many scenes with animation, but I didn't find the relevant tutorial

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom