Question How I prevent new atoms to spawn into existing atoms?

I don't think there's any existing good solution to that other than to disable collision on any potentially risky atoms before spawning a new one. Maybe someone else knows if there's a better solution.

Keybindings can be used to clone atoms, the cloned atom has collision disabled. https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/keybindings.4400/

Upvote 0
Solution
I don't think there's any existing good solution to that other than to disable collision on any potentially risky atoms before spawning a new one. Maybe someone else knows if there's a better solution.

Keybindings can be used to clone atoms, the cloned atom has collision disabled. https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/keybindings.4400/
How I can do that before on Person atoms? Only with keybindings?

Maybe a plugin that is spawning a new atom where I'm looking at?

Upvote 0
How I can do that before on Person atoms? Only with keybindings?
To disable collision on a Person atom, you just select it atom and then toggle collision off in Control & Physics 1. Then when you spawn whatever atom you wanted to spawn, it won't collide with the person atom.

Cloning atoms is not possible in VAM itself, you need Keybindings for that. There might be other plugins that can do that as well.
Maybe a plugin that is spawning a new atom where I'm looking at?
Well a paid plugin exists that can do that, but it's not required for the above. See Spawn Atom at Selection. I don't know if that plugin supports having collision off by default.

Upvote 0
To disable collision on a Person atom, you just select it atom and then toggle collision off in Control & Physics 1. Then when you spawn whatever atom you wanted to spawn, it won't collide with the person atom.

Cloning atoms is not possible in VAM itself, you need Keybindings for that. There might be other plugins that can do that as well.

Well a paid plugin exists that can do that, but it's not required for the above. See Spawn Atom at Selection. I don't know if that plugin supports having collision off by default.
Ok thought I can spawn a new atom without collision like the assets.

But now I have a lot solutions, ty

Upvote 0
If you have this issue alot, an option could be to move a person atom away from the spawn point, add them to a subscene and save it. When you want to add a new character to the scene, don't add a person atom directly, add a subscene atom and just load the person from that. It will then load in a person at whatever position you set it to.

Upvote 0
If you have this issue alot, an option could be to move a person atom away from the spawn point, add them to a subscene and save it. When you want to add a new character to the scene, don't add a person atom directly, add a subscene atom and just load the person from that. It will then load in a person at whatever position you set it to.
I still need to configure out how to create subscenes, properly. I think I first stick to the keybindings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The trick is to layout your scene so that at that location there just isn't anything in the way ;) Like just move everything 2 meter to the left.
Exactly, no need for extra subscenes or whatever tricky action. Simply move every person you create away from "point zero" within the move-tab in the persons menu. And if you create custom assets like furniture or whatever its the same. Just make sure the spawn point is always free space.

Upvote 0
Moving atoms could mess up timeline animations that target the atom root node, fwiw. Disabling collision is more reliable.

Keybindings has a command for disabling collisions on the selected atom, but unfortunately the bug is still not fixed after reporting it 9 months ago 😔

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom