Everyone is saying the G2 has bad tracking -confirmed. WMR strikes again.

NutellaBrah

Reactions
And everyone hates the controllers.

Pretty much any game we run these days will be bottlenecked by computer anyway. So people have to downsample to run good graphics or trade graphics for resolution in any triple AAA fully loaded title.

Neither the G2 nor Quest 2 can run much at their max resolutions which is essentially beyond 4K gaming. Would have to trade resolution/90hz/graphic settings to make it all fit.

So most games would actually run better on Oculus SDK since John Carmack extracted more efficiency out of the device and in the end you can actually get a better resolution and fit more graphics into a Quest 2.

Like if you run VAM you will still have to turn everything down in many scenes to get 90fps at over 4k resolutions. Or youd have to turn down the FPS to 45 and turn up the resolution with medium physics etc....

Its not all gonna fit so the G2 advantage of crisp visuals is situaltional, while the Quest 2 is always the most efficient after its all settled. Quest 2 at 90hz at 1.7 true native resolution adapted for lens distortion can hang with G2 pixel for pixel. thats before super sampling. If it were super sampled it might be even more sharp.

Meanwhile the Index has 50% of the pixels and is left in the dust only 1.5 years after release. Need Index 2 now.

Oh and Quest 2 is getting 120hz lmaooo

Checkmate G2

Last edited:
I felt the urge to create an account here just to stop you from spreading misinformation.

I have both sets and the difference between playing VAM on G2 and Q2 is like night and day. With G2 you get raw frames through Display Port, while Link Cable needs GPU to compress the video to pass through USB at reasonable rate. The better you want the compression, the more GPU power needs to be used to compress that video output at the cost of frame rate. It's even worse for wireless, it will be far worse for 120hz. So here you actually have a trade of between quality and frame rate, while in G2 all resources go into rendering raw game visuals and there is no cable/wifi bottleneck.

I have no problem hitting steady 90hz on Half Life: Alyx with ultra settings on my current 2080Ti setup with G2, which is completely impossible to do with the same crisp quality for Q2 no matter what software, or what type of Snapdragon is in there for decoding.

I think people who say Q2 is any competition, are the ones that don't have both headsets to compare. I would never recommend Q2 over G2 if it's quality someone cares about exclusively. The compression artifacts destroy the experience for me. The small bump in resolution for G2 makes a huge difference as well.

2080Ti is perfectly capable of rendering demanding games to 4320x2160 at 90hz, 3090 can do it even more easily as it supports 8k. It's not true modern games can't be maxed out at those resolutions. You can argue what is more "bang for the buck", since Q2 is much cheaper, but then again I had to upgrade from Q1 to Q2, while my old G1 would still outperform them, so the difference is less substantial.

I felt the urge to create an account here just to stop you from spreading misinformation.

I have both sets and the difference between playing VAM on G2 and Q2 is like night and day. With G2 you get raw frames through Display Port, while Link Cable needs GPU to compress the video to pass through USB at reasonable rate. The better you want the compression, the more GPU power needs to be used to compress that video output at the cost of frame rate. It's even worse for wireless, it will be far worse for 120hz. So here you actually have a trade of between quality and frame rate, while in G2 all resources go into rendering raw game visuals and there is no cable/wifi bottleneck.

I have no problem hitting steady 90hz on Half Life: Alyx with ultra settings on my current 2080Ti setup with G2, which is completely impossible to do with the same crisp quality for Q2 no matter what software, or what type of Snapdragon is in there for decoding.

I think people who say Q2 is any competition, are the ones that don't have both headsets to compare. I would never recommend Q2 over G2 if it's quality someone cares about exclusively. The compression artifacts destroy the experience for me. The small bump in resolution for G2 makes a huge difference as well.

2080Ti is perfectly capable of rendering demanding games to 4320x2160 at 90hz, 3090 can do it even more easily as it supports 8k. It's not true modern games can't be maxed out at those resolutions. You can argue what is more "bang for the buck", since Q2 is much cheaper, but then again I had to upgrade from Q1 to Q2, while my old G1 would still outperform them, so the difference is less substantial.

actually that's a common misconception, the "power" it takes to encode from the PC is nominal. a flash in the pan. Not much different than DP. Its like peeing in the ocean. The hard part is the resolution load and like you said, a 3090 is the most ideal

As for Alyx, that's ridiculo9us. I have personally played at 90hz ultra settings with crisp settings after link went out of beta and its just fine. photo realistic. Did you update to v23 and mess with the sliders and debug tool settings and stuff?

Then again that's also a bad example because Alyx is a super simple and highly optimized game world that doesn't really challenge the limits (its all one mesh that loads at the start with those loading times). Its also the perfect game to play wireless. oh, G2 can't do that.

Try playing something super loaded like Asgard's wrath on G2 and see how much you'd be able to push and where the limits are. Oh wait you can't without a hack lol lol lol

If the Q2 can't do a load the G2 definitely wont either. Especially when comparing to native oculus sdk (vs WMR - Steam integration where its already 2 pretty buggy layers)

I would not recommend that headset to anyone its too janky and the tracking sucks. so do the controllers and buggy WMR "layer"

Last edited:

Theres a difference between people who actually use these headsets for real day to day for sims and esports, and shills who shill to the masses.

Dont believe the propaganda of "alternative culture" snake oil salesman like Sebastian Ang who have immeasurable layers of bias in their content.

Ty Wood is chill and always has breaking news first.
Mike from the Oasis is super chill and professional but has that family friendly sheen, solid dude
Cas and Chary has good technical details and info
BMF is really more for shallow players like Fortnite types and want just "content" don't care if its quality or not
MRTV is if you are super biased towards WMR and counterculture to what is mainstream

Last edited:

Theres a difference between people who actually use these headsets for real day to day for sims and esports, and shills who shill to the masses.

Dont believe the propaganda of "alternative culture" snake oil salesman like Sebastian Ang who have immeasurable layers of bias in their content.

Mike from the Oasis is super chill and professional but has that family friendly sheen, solid dude
BMF is really more for shallow players like Fortnite types and want just "content" don't care if its quality or not
MRTV is if you are super biased towards WMR and counterculture to what is mainstream
(3841) HP Reverb G2 vs Valve Index - YouTube
(3841) HP REVERB G2 VS RIFT S VS INDEX - Project Cars 2 Through The Lens Comparison - How Far Can You See? - YouTube
took you 3 days to link 1 vid dude

do you work for Facebook? The only one shilling is you for the Q2 lol all I said is I want the G2, every single review puts the G2 at the top and that makes you mad? Why would I buy a "portable" headset that needs to be plugged into a PC to play ALL the games, why would I buy something that Facebook will BRICK when I support my president?

[YouTube]

absolute tour de force roasting every detail of the G2

Just like I predicted its just like the rest of WMR full of cheapness, bugs, and cut corners

I have a G2, tracking seems fine, better than my previous 0+ The controls are a little different though and not currently working well with VAM, Also I miss the O+ blacks.

UPDATE - After updating my VAM installation the controllers are working fine now.

Last edited:
I have a G2, tracking seems fine, better than my previous 0+ The controls are a little different though and not currently working well with VAM, Also I miss the O+ blacks.

"tracking seems fine"

wow what a useful take, thank you for your review

"tracking seems fine"

wow what a useful take, thank you for your review
Wow, thanks for your snarky comment. I just meant that I have had no problems with G2's tracking, (or with the controllers either for that matter) can I say that?

Wow, thanks for your snarky comment. I just meant that I have had no problems with G2's tracking, (or with the controllers either for that matter) can I say that?

why do you feel the need to when the consensus agrees its not true?

Not an accurate comment. He said it was the best headset for Sim racing and a couple of other non-roasty things about it.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Oculus but I'm gonna pass on both the q2 and the g2 as they both seem transitional.

Transitional?

Odd take.

If anything they are a peak of the evolution of screens.

why do you feel the need to when the consensus agrees its not true?

Because there is no consensus on the tracking, Some have reported problems if a controller goes out of camera range or when used in certain lighting/room usage conditions, generally with very bright point lighting or sunlight. Avoiding the mentioned limitations they function very well, I find them excellent for VAM and several other games in my indirectly lit dim room, no problems at all.

[YouTube]

absolute tour de force roasting every detail of the G2

Just like I predicted its just like the rest of WMR full of cheapness, bugs, and cut corners

No, it's actually s very good HMD (although with some niggly teething problems). Karl is by no means the last word on HMD opinions but he is a sim racer and even he says the G2 is the best HMD for that. I can also vouch that the display is great (although the blacks could be a little better) and VAM is primarily a display oriented sim, it's great for VAM!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom