Quest 2 - Hand Tracking 2.0 is... WOW!!!

There is a new feature on Quest2 where you can "double tap" the controllers together to swap to hand tracking. You have to enable this in settings but it's then SUPER easy to swap to hand tracking. Swapping back is just picking them up and pressing the button to activate them.

Sadly this is only basic "gesture" hand tracking. The Quest2 full hand/finger tracking does not translate into SteamVR/VaM yet that I know of.
I used this limited finger tracking before but now it´s not working anymore. I use Virtual Desktop too.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea on how to get it back? Immersion is much higher without the controller in your hand, even with its limitations.

I used this limited finger tracking before but now it´s not working anymore. I use Virtual Desktop too.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea on how to get it back? Immersion is much higher without the controller in your hand, even with its limitations.
Finger/hand tracking is working using ALVR, you could use that (and ALVR can be used with usb cable)

Finger/hand tracking is working using ALVR, you could use that (and ALVR can be used with usb cable)
Thank you yasparukko! I considered ALVR before but the setup seemed a bit too complicated to me, I also read that you need to run VaM through Steam and that kills the performance to death. It could be worth a try anyway :)

Last edited:
Thank you yasparukko! I considered ALVR before but the setup seemed a bit too complicated to me, I also read that you need to run VaM through Steam and that kills the performance to death. It could be worth a try anyway :)
I am not sure about performance, I am quite happy with ALVR, but I've never used VD :unsure:

I use Virtual Desktop and am very happy with it, the ASW etc helps a lot with my performance. Does ALVR allow for similar performance boosts?
I know VRChat Easy Anti Cheat crap stops people using FSR with it, but Virtual Desktop still has it's own built in that works. I wouldn't want to swap to ALVR and lose that boost.

I use Virtual Desktop and am very happy with it, the ASW etc helps a lot with my performance. Does ALVR allow for similar performance boosts?
I know VRChat Easy Anti Cheat crap stops people using FSR with it, but Virtual Desktop still has it's own built in that works. I wouldn't want to swap to ALVR and lose that boost.
Sorry, I am not sure, ALVR is free, you could just try it :unsure:

Sorry, I am not sure, ALVR is free, you could just try it :unsure:
Yeah, I considered installing it but my experience is that SteamVR does NOT like multiple "VR Headset apps" installed at once and it's likely to break my working Virtual Desktop setup...

Yes it's really unfortunate the hand/finger tracking of Quest 2/3 is not working as it would be next level for animation and interaction.

Hand tracking on the Q2/3 is now good enough that it REALLY needs to be added to vam... seems like it's close (Virtual Desktop is getting hand/finger tracking into SteamVR so it's right there waiting for VAM to pull the data in) but just needs a VAM update to use it. Even if it doesn't implement control so is only available in pov mode that would be huge.

Yes it's really unfortunate the hand/finger tracking of Quest 2/3 is not working as it would be next level for animation and interaction.
Hand/finger tracking of quest 2 is definitely working with VAM, using with ALVR, and it can be recorded using embody/timeline,
you do have to keep your hands in front of the quest 2 headset thought (y)

It's been working for a long time for me in VirtualDesktop, and recently ALVR (which I feel is a little more responsive?). But VAM needs a better handle on it. Accidental toggle grabs of random stuff happens a lot. Loss of tracking sends your virtual hand flying at speeds that could knock a satelite out of orbit.

hello, i just managed to connect my meta quest 2 by virtual desktop but....i don`t know how to activate the hand control. Can someone help me please?

Back
Top Bottom