Quest 2 - Hand Tracking 2.0 is... WOW!!!

DanVR

Reactions
Hi All,
This could be interesting if you own a Quest 2 headset (I purchased mine a couple weeks ago, also I'm still a noob in VAM).

I'm not sure if this will be possible in VAM or maybe it's already in dev based on the old Hand Tracking (version 1.0) but this could change A LOT in the experience.
Maybe there is already a plugin to try the Hand Tracking I'm not even sure, sorry for being the clueless noob but I just wanted to share this with you guys:

This feature is already implemented in VaM, it's called "Leap motion". So you can use it already ;)
Thanks I didn't know that! I thought Leap Motion is a very specific old device!
I'm not sure how to make it works, but I must try it :)

Last edited:
This feature is already implemented in VaM, it's called "Leap motion". So you can use it already ;)
Is Leap Motion actually good in VAM? I've heard mixed reviews on it, but specifically for VAM would be nice to have both hands free.

@DanVR
Now I'm unsure about what I said :unsure:
I thought it's more or less just a placeholder for this technique.

@TreyWilly
I tried it but I wasn't very pleased with it. It was kind of to laggy (not that much but it breaks the immersion) and actually it felt weired to touch a person in VR without touching anything in real life. It sounds weired but grabbing on a controller is more immersive than acting with nothing.

That's what I thought because Leap Motion is an old device.
Unfortunately, I don't think VAM is working with this Quest 2 (Hand Tracking 2.0) amazing feature yet.
I just tried it and I didn't even see my hands, it only works with the controllers..

The good news is that they release API and such for developers to now use the newest version 2.0 which is MUCH more advanced than the one before. I believe many game devs will add this from now on.

Hopefully we'll see this in VAM sometime in the (near?) future :)

If you use Virtual Desktop the hand tracking "sort" of works. You get the hands, position/rotation etc are fine but you don't get the finger position tracking, only gesture recognition.
So it sort of work, but it's not as amazing as full hand tracking. Sadly, when you are moving your hands in VR sometimes your actions get mistaken for gestures to open menus or trigger the buttons etc, resulting in your VaM doing things you don't want it to.

@DanVR
Now I'm unsure about what I said :unsure:
I thought it's more or less just a placeholder for this technique.

@TreyWilly
I tried it but I wasn't very pleased with it. It was kind of to laggy (not that much but it breaks the immersion) and actually it felt weired to touch a person in VR without touching anything in real life. It sounds weired but grabbing on a controller is more immersive than acting with nothing.
My issue was not so much the lag, but the fact that there's nothing really there....without the haptic feedback, it killed immersion for me..at least for things requiring touch.

For me it's not even working with the Quest 2...
I can only use the Controllers, if I put down the controllers... it won't show me the hands at all in VAM.
I only see my hands out of VAM in Virtual Desktop for example, and the native Horizon.

In VAM I pressed the TOGGLE hands on the menu few times but it only show me a red transparent sphere or nothing as I keep toggle between, also pressing the other buttons on the menu but no hands.
I also changed in the VR1 / VR2 Menu to hands LEFT and RIGHT... can't see them.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, is there something I need to turn on to SEE my hands?
I'm using the last version of course.

-

I'm curious to test it but, I guess even if it will work for me to try,
It won't work with Tracking as in other games, and obviously based on the new version 2.0 which looks really interesting and more games started to update it, I guess only the DEVS can make it happen since the tech is already there and the API / SDK are accessible to all devs since the announcement.

I'm curious if some devs will make Hand Tracking 2.0 available BEFORE VAM 2.x will be released, that will be a REALLY different experience compare to the current controller / hands with limited accuracy.

This probably is no help at all to the OP, but a general piece of information about Leap Motion. I've been experimenting with it. I recently found , right at the very top of Select, above Head Audio, there's a section, Hand Control. In HC there's all kinds of settings, like Hand Grasp Strength and Remote. By changing the settings the accuracy of the Leap hands is massively improved. It actually works brilliantly, for what it is. From there its just a matter of fine tuning Embody.

Is this Leap motion option a part of teleport option? I'm using Quest 2 and can't figure out how to activate teleport navigation or make it work at all? I sometimes get the target square, but then the 1st person camera is jumping around erratically to an nauseating extend :(

Is this Leap motion option a part of teleport option? I'm using Quest 2 and can't figure out how to activate teleport navigation or make it work at all? I sometimes get the target square, but then the 1st person camera is jumping around erratically to an nauseating extend :(
I've no idea. I bough a Leap Motion controller, about $100. All set up properly it's good enough to do some very basic sign language. It's a hand and arm controller, when set up properly. Does it work for hands, gestures etc with Quest 2? I'll make a video demonstrate sign language using Leap motion, soon.

Hello,
I also sometimes use leap motion. I bought it back then to operate the nice switches and buttons in the cockpit in the flight simulator. In vam, however, I have to say that I prefer to use the controllers. Not because I have something in my hand or vibrates. Leap motion from the movement quality is really great with the right setting and good light in the room! Only when I want to change something and I have to work more with the vam menu, it's annoying to constantly put the controller aside, check that you are not in the picture, or cross your hands.. then want to change something again. take controller again. then gone again .... that's exactly why .... thank you.
(but I would like to say that I'm not a developer or a code writer. I am grateful for tips using leap motion. Think 85% leap motion and 15% controller. if it split like that, then i use leap motion as a permanent tool!)

Last edited:
I wish I had never "updated" my virtual desktop for hand tracking 2.0.

Now can't do any hand tracking at all in vam for more than 10 seconds before my hands completely freeze (possession) or disappear (vr hands). The only fix after this happens is to completely close vam, and spend another 10 minutes completely reloading the game and scene...

We should not have to wait for vam 2.0 for this emergency bug fix.

No, we can't wait 2 more years, if ever, for a fix for this. I haven't even seen a male in 2.0 yet, no doubt they will again get the previous afterthought treatment. It's hard to hold any hope of a release any time soon.

Anyway, this bug falls very close to the category of "game breaking", and should have been patched already.

The hands are probably disappearing because you triggered a gesture. If from an open flat hand palm facing you , you make a fist then open the hand again it triggers (I think that's the gesture) the option to hide the VR hands. You can do it again to bring them back.
VaM REALLY needs an option to turn off buttons/toggles/controls when using hand tracking because it keeps doing all sorts of random stuff like accidentally grabbing (and staying grabbed) leading to a repeat of that one scene from the Spiderman movie where Peter gets things stuck to his hand and causes all sorts of trouble because he can't let go.
I would lay odds it's a similar issue in the possessed mode too.
I can see no real solution that would sensibly allow grabbing while stopping accidental grabs but I would certainly like to not have menus flying in my face or accidentally throw the person atom I was touching across the room!
PLEASE can we have all "buttons" auto-disabled (as an option) for hand tracking modes? I don't mind picking up the controllers and swapping back when I need buttons and scenes can easily use actual touch buttons.

The hands are probably disappearing because you triggered a gesture. If from an open flat hand palm facing you , you make a fist then open the hand again it triggers (I think that's the gesture) the option to hide the VR hands. You can do it again to bring them back.
VaM REALLY needs an option to turn off buttons/toggles/controls when using hand tracking because it keeps doing all sorts of random stuff like accidentally grabbing (and staying grabbed) leading to a repeat of that one scene from the Spiderman movie where Peter gets things stuck to his hand and causes all sorts of trouble because he can't let go.
I would lay odds it's a similar issue in the possessed mode too.
I can see no real solution that would sensibly allow grabbing while stopping accidental grabs but I would certainly like to not have menus flying in my face or accidentally throw the person atom I was touching across the room!
PLEASE can we have all "buttons" auto-disabled (as an option) for hand tracking modes? I don't mind picking up the controllers and swapping back when I need buttons and scenes can easily use actual touch buttons.
It actually seems to be caused by reaching just a little too far (about 3/4 arm reach). I was just in game again and decided to test it again before exiting the game, it was fine for about 10 minutes until I reached out to touch a keyboard cua object, then it froze the hands. Strangely, while the hand was frozen, the left fingers continued to work (not the right).

I'm not sure it is gesture related, seems maybe related to vam's vr skeleton itself?

It's a really, really annoying bug this one.

Da ich mir jetzt nicht sicher bin, ob Sie Leap Motion oder das Handtracking der VR-Brille nutzen, weiß ich nicht, ob das Ihnen hilft. Aber ich habe gemerkt, wenn ich die Kalibrierung im Bedienfeld der Sprungbewegung genauer und so gut wie nur möglich abschließe, verbessert sich die Reichweite der Hände und sie verschwinden auch nicht so schnell aus dem Blickfeld. (Oben, unten, links, rechts)
Das gute Licht werde ich nicht erwähnen müssen, das kennen wir VR Nutzer denke ich alle sowiso :)
PS: Ich verwende noch das alte Treiber Programm, Ultraleap hatte mir nicht gefallen.

Attachments

• LeapDeveloperKit_4.1.0+52211_win.zip
    194.6 MB · Views: 0
I have some rudimentary hand tracking working with vam by using an app available from sidequest called ALVR. Found that after much confusion regarding virtual desktop! I seems that there are at least 2 competing versions of virtual desktop for the meta quest 2. One is built right into the Oculus link side of the VR environment, and I could use it over my USB connection. The other one appears to be a version that you pay extra for, and only works over wireless, with the use of an additional streamer app on the pc side. I found mention of some type of setting for virtual desktop to enable hand tracking, but that setting is not in the included virtual desktop that comes with oculus link (at least not that I could find). I installed ALVR, currently running wirelessly, and although I have some settings to tweak, and or change it's settings to us USB (getting a lot of jitters, especially when loading info), I do have hands now, and the fingers bend, etc. I can grab stuff with them, sort of! I just found this thread while looking for more info on how I can move around in vam just using hand tracking. If you use ALVR, you'll need to install steam/steamvr, which seems to have it's own environment like oculus like and it's own "virtual desktop" You can use an additional program called ADBForwarder to enable using it over a USB cable link, but I have not tried that just yet. I want to, I figure the performance would be much better!

so the question.. vamx latest update havent support finger of Quest 2 yet? i hv plan to buy quest 2 to experience finger controler, and high resulution.. but it seem it has lower Graphic card prefer than pc.. any lag at quest 2?

I'm wondering if there is an update to this yet. QuestLink / hand tracking for VAM.
I've been able to use hand tracking with the Quest. If you enable it on the quest after you've already selected your scene, it works fine. You can't interact with the menu, however, and need to switch back and forth with the controllers. I've done this on Virtual Desktop, but not sure about Quest Link, though it should be functional since Quest Link is meant to feature the device's functions.

I've been able to use hand tracking with the Quest. If you enable it on the quest after you've already selected your scene, it works fine. You can't interact with the menu, however, and need to switch back and forth with the controllers. I've done this on Virtual Desktop, but not sure about Quest Link, though it should be functional since Quest Link is meant to feature the device's functions.
Sadly this is only basic "gesture" hand tracking. The Quest2 full hand/finger tracking does not translate into SteamVR/VaM yet that I know of.

Thanks, I will try that!

To clarify - do you mean activating it before activating questlink? because the 'rift' system doesn't have that option (AFAIK)

To clarify - do you mean activating it before activating questlink? because the 'rift' system doesn't have that option (AFAIK)
I mean activating it when you're in VAM with your scene loaded up and positioned close enough to a character to touch them. I usually double tap the right menu button on the Quest controller to activate voice commands and say 'activate hand tracking' then put my controllers down. As @Jiraiya said, this isn't the full range of hand tracking, but it does allow you to use the VAM hands as your hands.

Back
Top Bottom