Question Converting Genesis 2 clothing to VAM

Hi all. How does one convert standard genesis 2 clothing so it can be used in VAM?
Sometimes you can open them in VAM clothing creator and port them in. If not then you need to open them in DAZ, fit them, export as obj, reimport and save as a duf. Open that in VAM clothing creator.

Upvote 0
shirt12.gif

Upvote 0
Hi, I am quite sure, there was a detailed tutorial about that in the dicord or reddit.

It is not a one-click task, but you have to use DAZ3D. In short:
- In DAZ open the Genesis2 figure
- Load the DAZ G2 clothes item(s)
- Fit them to the Genesis 2 figure.
- Now save as a subscene and disable the G2 figure, or delete the G2 figure and save as scene.
- This will create a duf file that can be imported to VaM.
- In VaM open up the standard scene or a scene with the standard female. Open the clothes tab and then import/create your custom clothes.
This is the the optimal outcome. Maybe you will run into issues:
- If you are experience problems with extremely unfitting clothes (much too small or too big, etc), or if you are fitting non-G2 clothes, then:
- Fit the clothes in DAZ like above, but bevore saving as duf, export them (delete the G2 first) as OBJ or FBX with DAZ preset, then import them again.
- Check the clothe textures' file location. Don't use the textures saved in the OBJ, or you will maybechave issues in VaM.

That sounds a bit complicated first, but it is great that we have an option to import custom clothes at all... even as a somewhat normal (maybe a bit skilled) user.

Upvote 0
Hi, I am quite sure, there was a detailed tutorial about that in the dicord or reddit.

It is not a one-click task, but you have to use DAZ3D. In short:
- In DAZ open the Genesis2 figure
- Load the DAZ G2 clothes item(s)
- Fit them to the Genesis 2 figure.
- Now save as a subscene and disable the G2 figure, or delete the G2 figure and save as scene.
- This will create a duf file that can be imported to VaM.
- In VaM open up the standard scene or a scene with the standard female. Open the clothes tab and then import/create your custom clothes.
This is the the optimal outcome. Maybe you will run into issues:
- If you are experience problems with extremely unfitting clothes (much too small or too big, etc), or if you are fitting non-G2 clothes, then:
- Fit the clothes in DAZ like above, but bevore saving as duf, export them (delete the G2 first) as OBJ or FBX with DAZ preset, then import them again.
- Check the clothe textures' file location. Don't use the textures saved in the OBJ, or you will maybechave issues in VaM.

That sounds a bit complicated first, but it is great that we have an option to import custom clothes at all... even as a somewhat normal (maybe a bit skilled) user.

Thank you for the replies. It definitely helped. I have made some progress but a problem I have run into is VAM telling me there are too many vertices. Is there a way they can be reduced within Daz or is it a case of having to edit in another program? One layer of clothing clipping through another is also presenting itself as an issue.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. It definitely helped. I have made some progress but a problem I have run into is VAM telling me there are too many vertices. Is there a way they can be reduced within Daz or is it a case of having to edit in another program? One layer of clothing clipping through another is also presenting itself as an issue.
I never really worry about the vertz, you can import it anyway.

Upvote 0

It is true, that VaM will create the clothes anyway if it has too many vertices, but I would not support "never worry". Too many vertices in clothes meshes will drop the performance noticeable, especially if you enable physics on them. Maybe not for the desktop mode, but definitely in VR. There are some clothes around, that will even make my new monster-pc stutter in VR. Maybe those clothes are nice to look at, but for normal use in VR they are sub-optimal.

There are several ways to reduce the vertices count. It is usually called "decimation". You can do that in Blender or other tools, or in DAZ with a payed plugin called "Decimator". You have to find the optimal vertice count between look and performance. For the free Blender methode, export the clothes as FBX or OBJ, open them in Blender, use Blenders decimation methode, export them as FBX or OBJ again and import them in DAZ...

The clipping issue is something we have to suffer with in VaM. It is because there is no collision between clothes or even layers. Unfortunately, the best way to handle that is to not create or use clothes with multiple layers. You could try to play around with the different options in the clothes creator, and/or add phsics and play with those settings, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its a trade off though...Ive tried both and decimator in DAZ will alot of time destroy the quality of the cloth item. Wait till people see what alot of the G8 cloth item vert/ file sizes are, we are all gonna need a rocking PC and giant storage capacity.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom