Question Blender Character Model to Vam Look?

Ghostwalden

Reactions
Hi there.

How do i bring a downloaded Blender Character Model to VAM as a look?

Are there any tutorials out there, that teach the steps that are necessary for doing that?

There's so many layers to it that you'll probably have to go back and forth between multiple guides/tutorials. He's a couple that I can think of to at least start somewhere.

Working between Blender and VaM:

Wrapping the Blender model to G2F/M model:

Importing the clothing:

Importing other assets as CUAs

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply clownmug.

I've come across to some of the tutorials you listed. Thanks for them.
But i have not gotten deeper into them yet, as they don't have the goal to bring a look into VAM in the end.

Just hoped, that there is something around, more specified on how to bring the character model as a look into vam.

But i guess, i have go a bit deeper into these listed tutorials to see what i can figure out for my purposes ;)

Am i right, that some of your models like Nurse Noel, Mirabel or Bowsette are also models you downloaded
somewhere and brought them to vam then?

May i ask, what are the programs you use for that process?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply clownmug.

I've come across to some of the tutorials you listed. Thanks for them.
But i have not gotten deeper into them yet, as they don't have the goal to bring a look into VAM in the end.

Just hoped, that there is something around, more specified on how to bring the character model as a look into vam.

But i guess, i have go a bit deeper into these listed tutorials to see what i can figure out for my purposes ;)

Am i right, that some of your models like Nurse Noel, Mirabel or Bowsette are also models you downloaded
somewhere and brought them to vam then?

May i ask, what are the programs you use for that process?

Sure, here are the programs I use.

Blender
- Wrapping the model with the Softwrap plugin
- Baking textures of original model to wrapped model
- Exporting obj of wrapped model and clothing to Daz 3D
- Exporting fbx of other stuff to Unity

Daz 3D
- Exporting Genesis 2 model obj if needed
- Generating morphs and exporting to VaM
- Importing obj clothing and exporting to VaM

Unity
- For creating CUAs

Photoshop
- For cleaning up textures

Upvote 0
Hi Clownmug

Thanks for letting me know and having a bit an overview on what processes are involved
and what programs are used to do that.

I can imagine a bit, what could going on in these steps in the programs.

What i can't imagine yet is, how a model in the end comes into vam.
I just would like to get a bit an idea of it.

In the Var File for example of your looks, i see a vap file.
I guess that is the final character, exported from one of these programs?
Wheter in Blender, nor in Daz i see an export file type like that.
So, what program does export that format?

With assets, i can create a custom unity asset in vam and then load an asset that comes from unity.
But how does that work with looks? How do they get into VAM finally?

Upvote 0
In the Var File for example of your looks, i see a vap file.
I guess that is the final character, exported from one of these programs?
Wheter in Blender, nor in Daz i see an export file type like that.
So, what program does export that format?

The vap file was created within VaM, it's a file I saved from the "Appearance Preset" tab after putting everything together. Daz would be exporting a dsf morph file and duf scene files for clothing. Placing a dsf file in your VaM's "Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs " folder will have it automatically added to the game as a custom morph. For the duf files you have to manually import them through VaM's "Clothing Creator", then a folder under "Custom/Clothing" would be created where you can place texture files for the materials.

With assets, i can create a custom unity asset in vam and then load an asset that comes from unity.
But how does that work with looks? How do they get into VAM finally?

With looks you're putting a bunch of different things together for the final product, like the morph and clothing from Daz mentioned above.

The morph is kind of the starting point, it gives you the shape of your model in VaM. Then you have your model's textures which after baking or UV wrapping to a Genesis 2 model in Blender can be assigned from the "Skin Textures" tab. For your model's hair you can choose to recreate it with "Hair Creator", attempt to import as clothing, or import as a CUA which most people do. Lastly, would be importing your model's clothing with "Clothing Creator", setting up their materials, configuring the clothing sim, etc.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Clownmug, this really helps me a lot.
Clearly described so i now can understand how it works.

I always thought the moldel is a separate file, like a 3D model or something like that.
I had a liitle suspicion that it could have something to do with morphs,
but now, the case is clear :D

Now i guess i have to go deeper into the Guide: Vam to Blender to Vam from Juno.
First i thought it's something different, because it talked about on how to create a
Morp file for VAM, but now it makes sense, when the morph gives the shape to the look
as you said.

For sure, this is now a good basis for getting a bit deeper into this and testing things out.
So again, many thanks (y)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom