Answered Beginner Timeline Question: What is the workflow for a long animation (30 mins) with many controllers, morphs and keyframes?

g1000

Reactions
I'm trying to use VAM on PC to make videos - I think it can be used this way but I'm just starting out - I'm finding that the Timeline plugin is fun and easy to use but I'm not sure if VAM is made to be used like this since it seems like it's geared towards VR. Perticulary I'm wondering about pitfalls you may need to navigate when creating long, complex animations.

Should you try to fit the entire animation for all models in a single scene, or is there a way to break it into multiple scenes and then put it back together seamlessly with no transitions into one (video file) - like with some type of post process that you feed each scene into?

If possible, is there any advantage to doing it this way?

I'm asking because it seems like adding more keyframes and morphs, etc. will bog the computer down at some point and make it more difficult to work on a long complex scene.

Thanks much for any info

You can do multiple scenes and use "merge load" to navigate between them, or you can break down your animations in multiple clips in Timeline too. It really depends on what you want to create, multiple scenes can be useful for completely unrelated animations and changing environments, but using the pose feature of Timeline you can get quite a lot of content in a single scene too (see Spacedog scenes!) using triggers and stuff like that. Sometimes other plugins can be thrown into the mix too, so some things are animated and some things are completely procedural.

I used both techniques, so it really depends on what works best for the specific animation. If the end goal really is a video, you can make multiple scenes but keep in mind, if you decide to change something on the look or in the environment, you'll have to make the change everywhere (see subscenes to help with that)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom