Any way to clean up massive duplicated morph files?

EMPIR

Banned User
Reactions
What is the best way to clean up morph folder? There is shitton files. I heard some morph has same name and same sizes.

What would be cool is something that unvar all your files, make a big list and eliminate duplicates then put them back into vars but it would probably take another hard drive to do that and it would probably break most stuff...

The morphs you have as files are they the base VaM ones or did you routinely unpacked more to the folder Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs?
You can always get a new clean VaM, delete the morphs folder on the current one, and copy over just the base VaM morphs. If you did unpack morphs for whatever reason, you might need to see what will break. I see no reason to ever unpacking morphs unless you're creating your own morphs.

I think it was way before var packaging i think. So lots of seperate morphs from lots of artists.

Then probably the above option will be a good way forward to get rid of all the junk. Make a backup copy just in case.
Feels good to delete unneeded stuff, or am I just weird in that way? :LOL:

You can always get a new clean VaM, delete the morphs folder on the current one, and copy over just the base VaM morphs.

I'm thinking of doing this also because my VaM folders are becoming way too large with things I rarely use or duplicates. Maybe I should have one install of VaM as a "sandbox" to try out things then move over just the items I like and use to a different VaM install.

I'm thinking of doing this also because my VaM folders are becoming way too large with things I rarely use or duplicates. Maybe I should have one install of VaM as a "sandbox" to try out things then move over just the items I like and use to a different VaM install.

Try this, it moves your VAR files to another folder on the same hard drive, then creates a system link to that file. Helps cut down on a lot of bloat. You can just install what you have dependencies for.

Try this, it moves your VAR files to another folder on the same hard drive, then creates a system link to that file. Helps cut down on a lot of bloat. You can just install what you have dependencies for.

Sorry... try what? Don't know what you mean.

Recently discovered this annoyance too. I just copied everything into 1 folder, all still seems to work.
IE:
Morphs\female : Breast Height.vmi
Morphs\female\folder1 : Breast Height.vmi
Morphs\female\folder2 : Breast Height.vmi

0) Backup morphs folder, always back up
1) I just search .vmi (and .vmb) in Morphs\female folder - It finds the files in sub folders too.
2) And CUT all VMI/VMB from sub folders into Morphs\female
3) Refuse/deny overwriting.
4) Delete all sub folders and you're left with just 1 copy of each morph in the main folder.

Use at your own risk, i have no expertise but it's worked flawlessly for me so far.

Another option is managing morphs vis this plugin

Sorry... try what? Don't know what you mean.

I think Solmak meant to link this https://github.com/feelfar/varManager

I believe moving the loose morph files will break any scene/appearances connected to them. VARs can be moved around inside the addon folder. But everything else is a direct link to a file. VAM isn't smart enough to look elsewhere as far as I know.

Back all of it up and use something like dupeguru or BeyondCompare to remove duplicate loose morph files. For the remaining morphs, use Morphology (search here) to combine morph regions (group names shown in-game). If you do it this way, it doesn't really matter how it's organized in the morph folder as long as you don't continue adding duplicate morphs.

VARs may still contain duplicates. Best way to clean that IMO is to remove the VARs that are full of morphs and slowly add them back as you need them.

Back
Top Bottom