Adding Non-var Files

jsin44

Reactions
Hello. I downloaded some resources from a separate site but they're not in .var form. They just have files folders named: Assets, Custom, Import and Saves. Do I just place the items in those folders in the corresponding VAM folders? Thanks.

That's basically how it would work. If all you get are the naked files, it can be tricky figuring out where they go. The .vap files would go in Custom/Atom/Person/Appearance, for example. If the folder names match the top level names in the Vam install, merging them in should work. I don't see a folder named Import tho. What's in it?

I don't see a folder named Import tho. What's in it?

Import folder (usually located next to main .json file) is one of those old legacy package things.
It should contain custom morphs required for said look or scene (once loaded under transient category | yellow color).
And automatically added (once referenced) inside your Custom/Atom/person/morphs/... AUTO subfolder (under custom (local) category | blue color).

But if I am not mistaken, creators used to put all sorts of stuff inside import folder: textures, assets, sound files... not morphs only

Import folder (usually located next to main .json file) is one of those old legacy package things.
It should contain custom morphs required for said look or scene (once loaded under transient category | yellow color).
And automatically added (once referenced) inside your Custom/Atom/person/morphs/... AUTO subfolder (under custom (local) category | blue color).

But if I am not mistaken, creators used to put all sorts of stuff inside import folder: textures, assets, sound files... not morphs only

There was only Morphs in the Import folder, so I managed to find the tree to put all that stuff so I think I'm good with that package.
But this other package has a file folder called Extras which has three folders in it related to clothing I'm pretty sure. and those files are mostly PNG files. I've attached a picture of them. I can't find anywhere in the VAM folder structure to put those. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-08 235150.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 235150.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 234337.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 234337.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
File types:

DSF is not needed, that's a DAZ file, vmb/i are morphs. The PNG are textures for the clothing according to the names.
You can put files anywhere you want as long as the paths are correct. Naturally, best to mimic as close as possible VaM's folder structure to have a clean and consistent resource. Do take a look at the guides regarding VARs.

File types:

DSF is not needed, that's a DAZ file, vmb/i are morphs. The PNG are textures for the clothing according to the names.
You can put files anywhere you want as long as the paths are correct. Naturally, best to mimic as close as possible VaM's folder structure to have a clean and consistent resource. Do take a look at the guides regarding VARs.
Thanks for this resource. It was very helpful.

For the vmb/i files it doesn't matter whether you put them in the female or female_genitalia folder?

It was reported in some other thread that having genitalia morphs in the other folder screwed things up.

So it seems that just like in real life, putting genitals where they're not supposed to be only brings trouble.

Last edited:
Putting genital morphs in with normal morphs causes (usually spikey) deformations on the face/head.

I'm not sure what happens when regular morphs go in the genitalia folder, but I'd bet it ain't pretty.

Okay, I think I have everything sorted as to what goes where. But none of these looks show up when I try to swap out a look from an existing scene using "Load Look". I went through the whole All/Flattened tab but couldn't see them anywhere. Do they have to be loaded in a different way?

I had to look around but couldn't find it under the various categories and folders. I got a lot more familiar with the file structure and UI though so I think I'll have plenty of stuff to work with. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom