So all my .var files are just gone in addon packages...

epamethius

Reactions
I was combing through the forums to see if anyone else had encountered this problem and someone had but I'm guessing I must've downloaded something that was bad. This isn't an error on my part or an accidental .var delete in addon packages. 331 gigs in cache but all the .vars are gone. I wouldn't call myself advanced in all the ins and outs of CPU literacy but I'm not bad. I can't say I'm too pleased right now. I have a backup on an external but I can't help but wonder if I downloaded some kind of var wiping virus or something. Anyways, a ton of money down the drain and even worse a lot of time wasted. Any ideas on what I should do moving forward?

Keep all your downloaded stuff on a different drive. Create backup copys of your saved scenes regularly.
Luckily I've never encountered this issue, but I'm feeling with you.

Keep all your downloaded stuff on a different drive. Create backup copys of your saved scenes regularly.
Luckily I've never encountered this issue, but I'm feeling with you.
Luckily I have all my .vars backed up until fairly recently but I'm afraid I downloaded something outside the hub that wiped all the .vars out I currently have.

Once upon a time this happened...
Yeap, that was one of the reasons for beefing up security and restricting folders access with plugins.

But, as far as I know, VaM (or VaM plugins) can't simply delete entire addonsPackages folder (at least not since v1.20.77.6).
However, If someone decides to use third-party tools (executables/scripts/whatever) or BepInEx plugins.
They are taking responsibility for any damage it could cause. Especially if it isn't hub hosted (or from shady sites). :unsure:

On hub, those plugins (or tools) have warnings such as:
  • Admin warning: this resource has been found to contain an exe or other modification to VaM's base dll files and could contain malicious code. Users accept all risks associated with using this resource.
  • Admin warning: this resource requires an external software: BepInEx, a modding software for Unity games. Virt-A-Mate is made with Unity. Users accept all risks associated with using this resource.
If there is a resource that requires bepinEx or has executable (without available source code), and it's missing a warning notice. Report it, so it can be tagged.

I don't personally know if HD failure could account for a single folder's worth of content being deleted, but it seems like one possibility. How old is your system/HD, and what kind? When I built the gaming PC I ended up using for VAM I included an excessive amount of storage, and haven't regretted it. Any chance you've got a backup running?

Regardless, that sucks, and hopefully you're not down too much paid content.

Yeap, that was one of the reasons for beefing up security and restricting folders access with plugins.

But, as far as I know, VaM (or VaM plugins) can't simply delete entire addonsPackages folder (at least not since v1.20.77.6).
However, If someone decides to use third-party tools (executables/scripts/whatever) or BepInEx plugins.
They are taking responsibility for any damage it could cause. Especially if it isn't hub hosted (or from shady sites). :unsure:

On hub, those plugins (or tools) have warnings such as:
  • Admin warning: this resource has been found to contain an exe or other modification to VaM's base dll files and could contain malicious code. Users accept all risks associated with using this resource.
  • Admin warning: this resource requires an external software: BepInEx, a modding software for Unity games. Virt-A-Mate is made with Unity. Users accept all risks associated with using this resource.
If there is a resource that requires bepinEx or has executable (without available source code), and it's missing a warning notice. Report it, so it can be tagged.
Yeah, I was messing with a scene before everything got deleted and it said it wanted to make changes to my CPU but I can't remember what it was but it was a session plug in. <insert facepalm>

I don't personally know if HD failure could account for a single folder's worth of content being deleted, but it seems like one possibility. How old is your system/HD, and what kind? When I built the gaming PC I ended up using for VAM I included an excessive amount of storage, and haven't regretted it. Any chance you've got a backup running?

Regardless, that sucks, and hopefully you're not down too much paid content.
It literally only deleted the vars. Everything else was unchanged. I built my PC a few months ago. It's a great rig with a 3080ti but I'm upgrading that soon. 2 four terabyte SSD's internal away from my main C drive. I think it was plugin honestly. lol

For what it's worth, that plugin that deleted data way back when was identified and publicized within hours. If this was a malicious plugin, I'd expect there would be a lot of people with the same issue.

For what it's worth, that plugin that deleted data way back when was identified and publicized within hours. If this was a malicious plugin, I'd expect there would be a lot of people with the same issue.
Was it intentional on the creator's part or accidental?

Was it intentional on the creator's part or accidental?
It was intentional. The creator was pissed off at pirates stealing & sharing their paid content, so they made a malicious plugin that deleted the "saves" directory and posted it on a pirate forum. Like I said, it was identified and removed within hours, so not many users were affected. The only real result was that Meshed tightened up security around plugins.

I'd like to know which plugin was the cause. Isn't there a basic scan that can be implemented to run on scripts in vars? Just looking for common destructive calls?

Isn't there a basic scan that can be implemented to run on scripts in vars? Just looking for common destructive calls?
Nope. It's basically impossible to predict what code does without running it. All this anti-virus software out there (I mean in general, not VaM specific) is mostly just "snake oil". Quite often it even opens further security vulnerabilities. You can make it hard to clueless script kiddies, which VaM already does. But you can never prevent it entirely.

Do not run code/plugins from untrusted sources, ever. In the context of VaM and also in general. E.g. don't ever trust a MacGruber plugin "helpfully" offered to you on some pirate site, e.g. because some pirated paid scene is using it as a dependency. My shit is free and Hub-hosted, always get it from the Hub!

little OT: time even for lazy vamplayer like me to cook a vam back-up, I guess even if
I was always lucky till now and I normally delete immediately Varvam-stuff (var wiith scenes mostly) instead of saving trash under carpet, unless it is really nice value, "artistically" of course, my right hand (or better my left when the right is too tired or busy with mouse) being the most reliable and sensible art-critic.
I have optimal fps and fast loading timing because of this, no need to waste energy and trust looking for bebinmiracleexbarbydorotystuff.
ps: my opinion, humble and modest about pirates and "malicious" buggy or fake-original-art is that a lot of "100% legal" real pirates we can meet pledging smart guys on the patreon-bazar itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom