A.i and Facegen

mandazi39

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
mandzi39
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but I stumbled upon a workflow to use free A.I with Facegen and little to no knowledge of photoshop or graphics work needed (for the most part).

For reference, I have some photoshop experience but lack the patience to really learn the 3d tools that help create the insane results that the brilliant artists on here have produced. I have mostly been ok with the results of my facegen projects, where I relay more on the facegen texture and VAM morphing to get to something I like.

Anyways, there is a site called Facemorph that lets you mesh two human faces together, with a slider that lets you dial in a bit the results.
It's free, and the image quality is pretty dam good.

What I've found is it also works from some realistic cartoon images and paintings. The more real, the more striking the result.

It also allows you to rotate the face direction to better be straight on, this has particularly helped me get better Facegen results as there can be issues if the face is looking off-center and most photographs aren't straight on.

For instance, if the head is looking slightly left, you just mirror the image with whatever photo software or browser extentions you want to use so they are now looking right, post that image as the second face, move the slider to the middle and viola! Straight on face for Facegen!
1665346980929.png

(You can see though, how when I mirrored the left image and put it in the right the image is a little different. It does remorph everytime you upload it to the site.)

You can also mesh multiple images of the same person for different expressions, different skin tones, haircuts, whatever!

I've also found that now, if i wanted to make a change on photoshop or Gimp like get rid of bangs, I can basically just roughly paint the skin color over the hair, then post the image into facemorph and it fixes it up with a natural skin texture! This also works if the Source images has a weird color filter or objects in front of the face

The big hit for me is when I had a character I wanted to make and knew faces that looked similar, I was able to mix them back and forth and usually got to what I wanted, and sometimes something better!

Now it isn't perfect!
When you put in an image, it uses AI to get to something that would make it easier to morph, and that can change the face to something you didn't intend. I've been using this to fix edits, but sometimes it changes the eyes or face shape in a way I didn't intend.

A way around this has been looking for faces with the characteristics I want and mixing them until it's closer but sometimes it just doesn't quite get it.

It also doesn't take Large images but that's an easy fix: just save or transcode the source image to a smaller size.

The details you want can also sometimes be taken out through the AI prep process.

if the face is at a weird angle, it has a crop option I'd reccommend you do manually but the image can still come out kinda meh if too extreme.

That being said, I've mentioned this already but yall....It creates a realistic human face for 3d characters!

If you have a VAM creation, get a snapshot of that character face and simply upload it into facemorph. It will create a realistic human face texture and holy crap it's been driving me insane how this is free and available just as a browser tool!!
1665346531116.png

If you already knew about this, So jealous I only found out about it like a few weeks ago.
Hopefully this helps or enlightens someone else on here the way it did for me. Been having a ton of fun revisitng old creations and working them this way.

Small aside, I wonder how copywrite and trademarks on likeness will apply in the future with this technology existing.
If you make an image inspired by a real person but completely generated through AI, who owns that image?

Regardless, I'm going to go and waste more time exploring this tool for the foreseeable future.

Peace

Played around with five different AI face generators sites. They all had problems:
  • low 512x512 (including facemorph.me unless I missed something) or 1024x1024 pixels maximum resolution
  • no control over what's generated
  • paywall with insane high prices
1024x1024 is just not enough in my opinion. A 2048x2048 source AI upscaled to 4096x4096 would be my minimum for acceptable quality.
If these AI's can generate quality faces with proper controls (light, angle, sex, age, skin, etc) THEN things will become interesting.

These two sites are 1024x1024:

free random generator without controls
https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

paywalled, but best controls:
https://generated.photos/faces
https://generated.photos/face-generator/new

When you put in an image, it uses AI to get to something that would make it easier to morph, and that can change the face to something you didn't intend. I've been using this to fix edits, but sometimes it changes the eyes or face shape in a way I didn't intend.
When looking for good headshot source images for 'FaceGen Artist' a very common problem I have is some (sometimes only single) hair in the face. Could use something similar to "repair" marked parts of a face, even though I can repair it manually in GIMP I can see how the AI could speed this part up a lot.

I've tried facemorph with two different uploaded images of the same person and was actually really disappoint how it changed the face to make it "morphable". It looked like a completely different person.

If you find any sites with higher resolution let me know. 🙂

This converter is pretty cool to mess around with, thanks for sharing. I played around with some of my looks and love the realism it adds, too bad I can't get some of that level of skin texture/detail in Vam.

Here are some of my Vam created looks, and how they look once converted to "real" people:

Lena
2022-10-10_93.jpg

Allison
2022-10-10_91.jpg

Sabrina
2022-10-10_95.jpg

Bella
2022-10-10_99.jpg

Kora
2022-10-10_97.jpg

I've tried facemorph with two different uploaded images of the same person and was actually really disappoint how it changed the face to make it "morphable". It looked like a completely different person.

If you find any sites with higher resolution let me know. 🙂

Very valid points!

I would also generally prefer higher rez images, and I guess if you want something truely lifelike, which I have yet to really see in VAM's current state, this can at least help more in some cricumstances as reference.

Yes, the "change to 'morphable'" is one of the more annoying draw backs.
What I've ended up doing in those situations is putting the Source image in a "find similar images" search engine and find a face with the features that are being subtracted, then morph with the source images and hope i can find a good median.

Still, it doesn't always work and as you said, the ending detail may not be worth the trouble.

For me at least, its ability to create details in older images I have had trouble translating has itself really helped my work flow.

I forgot to mention as you probably have seen, it technically uprez's and "fills in" a lot of details for some degraded and pixelated images.
Well not upez, it recreates an entirely new image but that also has it's merits, even though the result is still 512x512.

I've tried using programs like Topaz to bring it to a 2k or 4k and it does help a bit.

I think if you are a "facegen artist" as you said, and have projects that you've been having a lot of difficulty with, this is a good tool to try out and see if gets you to a better result.
It's not really a fix-all but it's helped me a lot at least.
Plus it's free :)

And if I do find a similar tool with higher rez results, I'll certainly be updating!

Last edited:
This converter is pretty cool to mess around with, thanks for sharing. I played around with some of my looks and love the realism it adds, too bad I can't get some of that level of skin texture/detail in Vam.

Here are some of my Vam created looks, and how they look once converted to "real" people:

Lena
View attachment 164264

Allison
View attachment 164265

Sabrina
View attachment 164266

Bella
View attachment 164267

Kora
View attachment 164268
Wow, these awesome!

Wow, these awesome!
Thanks, looking at the comparison really makes me realize that Vam is good but still a long way from realism. Next gen video cards and next gen VR headsets will probably be necessary to bring the texture detail up a few notches. Some of the realistic faces they are creating with the latest Unreal engine 5 are impressive, would love to see that in VR one day.

If you use facegen, it is decisive which material you have to work with. But that doesn't change the fact that you have to work on the material afterwards. and the more you spend on it, the better it can be. It is clear that it is the eyes that come to life with the morph program that you have used. High quality is created for VAM, but much is mediocre which is made in no time. Try and create a person without makeup and you will see how much can be done if you have the flair for it. And yes, v2 is guaranteed to raise the bar for what can be created in terms of quality.

Last edited:
It's not just the eyes, overall the eye difference plays the lowest part here
it is the entire shading model which is less artificial
and a very coherent light space
though it uses a different contrast space which you might like or not

And VAM gives you the possibility to get close to it you just have to throw everything of those different calibrated workflows over board and develop your own on top of VAM

And then you have to compare a lot between your calibration and the default and your material differences in your own light space
and of course get everything motion stable

but then you stand in front of the problem that no other asset of anyone will ever fit perfectly.

Last edited:
I disagree - eyes is the differance. the rest: there is nothing here that cannot be created in VAM. Several tools are created for it, the question is do you have the skills?.

I say no at this distance the eyes play no role
but yes let her open the mouth lets see the teeth + eyes and that will change everything because the lighting wont match the skin and hair response coherently and stand out
the AI didn't without purpose uniformed everything in that contrast space, because it knows that the other one is looking artificial

It sees the input it understands it's artificial 3D and then it grabs it's knowledge about photospace and reconstructs and it knows what Subsurface Scattering is most probably 1 learned detection path of the Artificial 3D result as well.

Some AIs can even specifically detect Genesis

Last edited:
I just meet

lot of things come together here heart shape monster eyes (anime direction), lack of details paired with makeup layer and pale skin
though absorbing the pale skin doesn't change much in her age perception

I think that is the most aggressive way Spacedog ever gone creating a blood young result, i wonder for what she needs any diffuse/albedo layer at all ;)

Ahh Riddlers Skin he just changed the opacity into Albino Melanin direction, very aggressive despite the fact it works more efficient internally at runtime

i knew i remembered that overdone whore makeup

Last edited:
Thanks for the Facemorph link, I use Facegen so I'll have to try that out. By the way, I've gotten decent results with smaller size photos. Facegen is pretty impressive at what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom