Fixed (1.20.7.3) Weird startup freeze (and workaround)

voidkampf1984

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
7th7andwich
My game has been stalling on "syncing with key level" randomly, but with a higher frequency than not.

I've been closing VAM via task manager, but upon closer inspection, I discovered something:

While this synchronization stall is happening, there's a unity error handler in the background.

Force closing that makes the app responsive again. :sneaky: #hackerman

In previous releases, this stall was hidden behind the application showing a black screen and not being responsive. In this current release, we added a message to show the top screen quicker and the stall now happens while showing the key sync message. So the stall was always there, it maybe just was not noticeable behind a longer startup time before you saw the initial screen.

I'm tempted to change the message because several have been confused by this. What is really happen is VaM is scanning all of your addon packages for content which can take some time if you have a lot of packages.

In previous releases, this stall was hidden behind the application showing a black screen and not being responsive. In this current release, we added a message to show the top screen quicker and the stall now happens while showing the key sync message. So the stall was always there, it maybe just was not noticeable behind a longer startup time before you saw the initial screen.

I'm tempted to change the message because several have been confused by this. What is really happen is VaM is scanning all of your addon packages for content which can take some time if you have a lot of packages.
ah I understand. Thank you.

I have made a tweak for this for upcoming patch. It will work more like the previous release except when you actually enter a key where it now shows the new message.

The package sync at startup also seems to be slightly faster than if the package sync happens after the UI is already showing so this should speed things up slightly.

Also - killing the crash handler doesn't really do anything so that might have been placebo effect. :)

I have made a tweak for this for upcoming patch. It will work more like the previous release except when you actually enter a key where it now shows the new message.

The package sync at startup also seems to be slightly faster than if the package sync happens after the UI is already showing so this should speed things up slightly.

Also - killing the crash handler doesn't really do anything so that might have been placebo effect. :)
Sorry for the thread necromancy. I have recently discovered this thread as a result of having the exact same issue and plugging it into a google search. I can confirm that the black screen will stay up for literally half an hour, and that closing the unity crash handler via task manager does indeed resolve the issue as the application instantly goes to the home screen afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom