• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

why fps is much lower in VR mode?

grapple

Reactions
I played VAM in desktop mode before in ultra setting before and it can get 20-40 fps depending the many clothes I added. Recently I bought a quest 2 for the VR experience.
Oh, the fps in vr mode is so much lower compared to desktop mode and I can't even add a reflective panel cause it would drastically lower the fps below 10 fps ):
right now I got a 3080 and 5600x and 16GB RAM. Does it help if I upgrade my pc?

Because it's doing more than twice the work.
It has to render 2 images not one, they are usually higher resolution than your desktop per eye as well.
So imagine doubling your desktop res, then adding some more and ask what FPS you would get then.

Let me just add, the 3080 is an AWESOME card and you should get better than that. Take a look at the benchmark tests and my spec/fps.
for that GPU and that CPU those fps sound low. Please take a look at the benchmark and try it out so you can compare like for like.

The game is bottlenecked by the CPU. The game only tends to use only one core to processes everything. This is because that game was made in an older verion of unity. You Could have a 3090 and probably get similar results.

The next iteraion of VAM may resolve these issues. The tech demo they put out for VAM 2 uses DLSS which will help performance.

Try downloading the "GiveMeFPS" plugin to help with performance in VR ( Plugins - GiveMeFPS | Virt-A-Mate Hub (virtamate.com) )

Also check this guide on how to increase FPS in VR. It's essentially everything that the GiveMeFPS plugin does automatically. ( Guides - Improving FPS in VaM. | Virt-A-Mate Hub (virtamate.com) )

Last edited:
Playing a game in VR is somewhat similar to playing a game in 4k UHD resolution on your desktop monitor,
plus the need for high fps in VR because of constant head movement and severe stuttering.
VaM is known for not being optimized very well and in addition to that: it is easy to set some settings wrong in VR and instantly getting an insane rendering workload.

"Low FPS" is not saying much. It varys strongly with different scene complexity.
If you want to know more, please provide the results of the MacGruber Benchmark test to us.
If possible, please run it with an additionaly installed fresh VaM folder without a high count of custom stuff.
Only with those results, preferably one in VR and one in desktop mode, we can compare the overall performance.
Maybe we will find some issues and solutions.
But... yes, you most likely will have down to half the fps in VR, than in desktop full HD resolution.

It is true, that the CPU is (often) the bottleneck for this GPU in low resolutions. But the higher the resolution and the higher the GPU workload, the smaller this CPU bottlenck gets. Your CPU should be quite good in VR in most other games, but not that much in VaM.
VaM is doing a lot of CPU physics calculation, especially for hair!! clothes and soft body whobbeling... but it is doing this with only using one to three CPU cores, mainly because of the old Unity version. So all that counts in VaM is pure single core speed, not the ammount of cores. Please check if you can optimize your single core speed.
I would suggest to use some monitoring and logging tool to see how high your hardware is clocking on load, like maybe GPUz and CPUz.

Make sure you have the VaM game window "in focus" otherwise the FPS is SEVERELY hindered. To put it in focus, just click on the desktop window (which will be black unless you enable the desktop mirroring in-game) to make sure the game is the in-focus application.

Back
Top Bottom