Pimax 8KX; Desktop Mode ONLY (can't launch in VR)

sentar

Reactions
I'm desperate for some help.

I am having the same problem as this guy, but the solution either isn't working for me, or I am failing to understand it correctly.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get VaM to show up in the headset no matter what I try. It launches to the Desktop every time.

I did have it in the headset once, but for some reason that was it, nothing that I know of had changed.

I am in touch with PiMax support, but they are mostly insisting that I send them screen captures to make sure Steam is designated for OpenVR (it is).

Has anyone out there experienced this problem, and did you find a solution? I would greatly appreciate any help, I'm exhausted with this headset.

Note: I have been able to run VaM countless times using w/ my Quest 2, and many times with an Index I had for awhile. FWIW, I am def experienced and able with most things networking/computing, though not VR in particular, --in any case, it is rare that I can't figure stuff out, even if it takes google, forums, etc., I can find very, very little on this topic.

I'm desperate for some help.

I am having the same problem as this guy, but the solution either isn't working for me, or I am failing to understand it correctly.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get VaM to show up in the headset no matter what I try. It launches to the Desktop every time.

I did have it in the headset once, but for some reason that was it, nothing that I know of had changed.

I am in touch with PiMax support, but they are mostly insisting that I send them screen captures to make sure Steam is designated for OpenVR (it is).

Has anyone out there experienced this problem, and did you find a solution? I would greatly appreciate any help, I'm exhausted with this headset.

Note: I have been able to run VaM countless times using w/ my Quest 2, and many times with an Index I had for awhile. FWIW, I am def experienced and able with most things networking/computing, though not VR in particular, --in any case, it is rare that I can't figure stuff out, even if it takes google, forums, etc., I can find very, very little on this topic.
You running the PITool software?

I had the same problem like sentar with the Pitool version 275 With the current 277 everything is now running without any issues.

Additional:
Latest nvidia driver 512.95 with 3080ti
Index Controller

All working - Great job developer!

I had the same trouble with 277 but let me try it again now that I've tried a lot of other things since. I'll update here asap.

Yes, naturally I am running the PITool software.

FWIW, I start the computer with the headset plugged in (although I've tried post Win 11 launch also), then start the PiTool.

I have tried both running VaM via the HMD in PiTool 'Experience Home' as well as in SteamVR Home (after clicking Start SteamVR and waiting for it to launch in the headset).

I've also tried going through the Virtual Desktop sort of interface that Steam offers, to click directly on the OpenVR batch file VaM comes with, =and= by clicking on the VaM OpenVR .bat file directly in File Exploder.

Finally, I have tried defining a 'new' game within PiMax EH, and was careful to include the full path as well as the command line switches to force it to VR (-vrmode OpenVR, if I recall correctly).

All of that to no avail, every time it has launched with a couple of unexplained exceptions that I can never seem to recreate, the game launches on the Desktop. It will even let me switch between "Mouse mode" and VR, and you can see the VR version is being shown on the Desktop. Note that view is different than the "Mirror VR view" available via Steam, i.e., I can get both to show at once.

More soon.

Thank you for engaging on this!

If you see this anytime soon, can you confirm I should install VaM to Steam, then import it in the Games tab of PiMax, then run it from within Pi EH? I will proceed with that shortly unless I hear otherwise, can always start over again.

I just updated my computer and will run thru the steps to confirm

1. Download PI Tool and run the setup with the headset/ Room
2. Add VAM to PITool - My Games
3. Download Steam and then install in Library "SteamVR"
4. Run SteamVR within Desktop Steam, Should see Now Playing
5. Goto PI Tool and Start VAM

1654646250572.png

1654646268945.png

I can't say why yet, but some progress is being made! I am seeing the gallery/initial VaM screen to come up.

One Note: Only in the HMD using PiMax Experience Home can you specify the batch file VaM includes for OpenVR mode, meaning specifically tied to the game icon so it launches as such. In Desktop as well as in Steam it will only accept .exe (executable, and exe extension only).

However, a variety of strange behavior from there.

The questions I think I should ask now:

1. What settings should I use in the many choices available in the PiMax VaM configuration screen?
2. Installing VaM within the Pi EH in the HMD, you can select whether to run VaM as the runtime only, run with SteamVR, or run with PIMax Tool. I'm using "runtime only", since that's how it seems to work with Oculus, but I know it requires OpenXR, so I'm asking to be sure.

I appreciate this help so much, thanks again. I was just about ready to give up on it for a good while.

Screenshot 2022-06-07 211458.png

Last edited:
I got that new (single USB) cable and it actually worked =once=. Now I'm having trouble with it going to the desktop again. I can't believe this is so difficult.

Back
Top Bottom