What would Creators and Users think about DRM/Watermarking on VAR files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMIC

Reactions
I tried to have a decent conversation on Patreon about my concerns about this idea, but I was told to simply unsubscribe if I didn't like it, so I figured it would be a good question for the community.

@SPQR makes some of the most useful plugins around, as I've said repeatedly. His work definitely makes VAM more usable and functional and opens VAM up to feeling more realistic and immersive. Like many who create content, he has fallen prey a few times to piracy. This has led to long screeds against people who share files that his Patreon users have had to endure. To be honest, the documentation of this seemingly very personal war is mostly amusing and provides a little spice to often otherwise boring "here's what I'm releasing" posts by other creators. Many creators who make premium content are very interested in finding ways to prevent 0-day releases of their stuff into the wild. Some do takedown reports on the sites that post their content, others have complicated ways of password protecting their stuff while still others have shifted to releasing content on Discord or elsewhere where they can get to know their users a little better. As far as I can see, SPQR hasn't taken any of these steps, but has instead threatened repeatedly to develop a DRM/Watermarking system for VAR files as revenge that he will offer up to other creators. In a way, this kind of step has seemed inevitable for scenes and looks as VAM grows since obviously artists like to be sure that their art is attributed to them at minumum. With plugins, it's a little trickier because generally plugins are seen as game mods and game modding communities have gone through a lot of growing pains with figuring out how to make someone get proper attribution and how to keep premium content from spreading beyond the capabilities of the creator to monetize it. Add to this the difficult line between being a patron and a customer and you get into a host of tricky legal and business areas. Plugins or mods for games are often free, unless they promise a total overhaul of the game. Software that is designed to enhance other software as an extension or complement or altogether different app can be premium, but if so, it's typically sold as a separate application that has to be installed and used as an integration to the base software. These points and the points about how game mods work and what other users have done to try to delay if not outright stop file sharers were made by me and some others in open posting. But the response we got was simple: "If you don't like it, leave. I am going to create a watermarking system that can be baked into plugins and give it to the whole premium community just because I'm petty."

Now, even forgiving the abominable customer care, I support anyone's right to be petty against people they feel have wronged them. Life is too short not to be, quite frankly. But, as I said in the discussion, I have concerns for the future of virtual reality and game modding more broadly if we go down this road of creating hard private property relations. It is the use of tools more than the existence of them that gives digital objects value in virtual worlds. While the proposed solution is fairly tame and versions of it are already used by other creators, the most it would do is not actually stop the spread of content, but mostly serve as a way to identify who the spreader might be as watermarked copies diffuse through the wild. Creative circumventers will, of course, find ways to neutralize the watermark. This will likely allow some leakers to be punished, but will just as likely create an arms race as countermeasures are developed to remove DRM and new ways to add DRM are instantiated, ultimately making content either less safe and more susceptible to people inserting malicious code or making it less accessible as security becomes more important than sharing. This is precisely what has happened with music, publishing and film content.

But my concerns are mostly theoretical, whereas creators like SPQR who are putting a lot of work into their stuff obviously feel like they're getting money taken out of their pocket. I've created content online since the early 2000s and have certainly had almost everything I've made pirated, but always felt like it was mostly free marketing for my stuff, though I respect anyone's right to feel the opposite, especially if they're relying on it for their livelihood or if it's taking away from valuable time when they could be doing something else, which I suspect would always be the case for someone with coding ability. We've already seen a stoppage or slowdown in releases from many talented Plugin creators, which is tragic because much of their work is vital to making VAM enjoyable. So I guess my question is to other creators out there and the VAM Dev team: What do you think about the idea of a DRM/watermarking system being introduced by a third party to premium VAM content? Do you believe it would stop piracy? What other effects do you suppose it could have, positive or negative? Also, if it existed, would you use it on your scenes and looks? Finally, for @meshedvr would such an approach be safer if centralized through VAM itself rather than as an outside feature that could be added and removed and potentially break other content or allow its usage to be tracked from device to device with personally identifiable information?

I don't think you'll have an interest from the Meshed team in using a DRM/Watermarking for the Hub resources. The focus of the Hub is on free content, while allowing paid content to be linked to somewhere like Patreon, not hosted in the forum or with any intention to create a store for it.

I would not use premium as a synonym of paid, that would be insulting to the amazing free content we have around. Quality demands a lot of time and dedication, it's not the result of its status as free or paid.

I don't think the focus of the hub is free content.
I think the focus of the hub is to improve VAM's ability to attract customers and improve VAM's appeal. I don't think it matters whether it's paid or free.
I don't think it is VAMHUB's intention to cause any trouble or dislike to any creator or viewer.
I hope everyone is a healthy VAMHUB with good internet manners and internet literacy.

Although there are some critical opinions about paid content, being able to publish paid content is also a big attraction of VAM.
Looking down on it can be expected to have the effect of lowering the appeal of VAM.
If you see a creator that you think is spam, just put them in the "Ignore" category on your VAMHUB setting.

I hope it will become an attractive VAMHUB.

Watermarks are questionable. Who will monitor that feature? Who will have an increased burden?
Who will benefit? (Some NC content and PC content creators.)
Considering this, the effect is limited.
However, there was an announcement from VAMHUB on a board somewhere about dealing with pirated copies, so I think we can have some hope.

Last edited:
Although there are some critical opinions about paid content, being able to publish paid content is also a big attraction of VAM.
Looking down on it can be expected to have the effect of lowering the appeal of VAM.
If you see a creator that you think is spam, just put them in the "Ignore" category on your VAMHUB setting.
Yeah, but managing a store is time consuming, so there would be less time to work on the development of the game.

Also, it would create a big risk since a store could potentially lead to legal issues

So, paid content is a highly appreciated addition to the community, but individuals should handle it independently. Currently, Patreon serves as a way to manage this because you can set up charges there. However, if someone were to develop an alternative platform for VAM paid content along with a plugin for seamless access, it would be an outstanding solution.

But my concerns are mostly theoretical, whereas creators like SPQR who are putting a lot of work into their stuff obviously feel like they're getting money taken out of their pocket.
A big thing you missed was the SPQR Fan Club: a bunch of 😭👶 grown ass men obsessing over me.

but has instead threatened repeatedly to develop a DRM/Watermarking system for VAR files as revenge that he will offer up to other creators.

It wasn't a threat to make it. I DID MAKE IT. I even used it. I used it to shake the tree and line up some of the obsessed. At the end of April, with Alive v40, I used the watermark system. The drama of it being actually REAL triggered many of the obsessed to have a meltdown and REVOLT against me. There were tears and screaming all over my patreon comments sections. It was a very sad day for everyone. The sight of some revolting made most of the obsessed get out of their dormant mole-like state and join in. I waited and took names ^_^. The next day, 20 angry obssessed were refunded and banned. Shortly after that, I released the v40 without the DRM too and I haven't used the watermark system since.

That back then was NOT a war on piracy. It was a war on donkeys obsessed to get in the cabin and sleep on my lap. No donkeys aboard anymore, sorry. Too much maintenance.

They now have their little support group where they assemble to talk about me, cry over the trauma produced by me rejecting them, what SPQR should've done, what SPQR does, what SPQR will do, might do, could do. So they can continue doing what they love - talk about SPQR. Make pretty charts of SPQR. Talk about what about SPQR keeps them up at night. It's a generous gesture when you think about it. I gave up their support and adulation so that they get to talk among themselves about me and hopefully build beautiful long-lasting friendships over their common interest - ME. You're welcome.

So, paid content is a highly appreciated addition to the community because I am an expert on such matters bla bla bla
How you doing @brasileirinho? fancy seeing you in a cancel-spqr thread.
I know you're a fan and since you're the smartest of that lot and very dear to me, here are some answer to some for your pressing concerns that you have in your life - which happen to be about SPQR. Please feel free to take the answers back and share them with others thirsty for this kind of information.

donkeylinho.jpg

Don't worry. I'd NEVER do anything like that. Besides being an absurdly cartoony thought to give malware to a site with millions of users because of a few noobs.. you might be surprised to find out I never had anything against pirates. All it really takes to combat it is a wordpress site connected to the patreon api. I'm just too lazy and don't really think I'll be here long-term to bother with hosting. This ain't exactly worth the bother neither. So sleep tight. Nothing will ever happen to them.

But in case it helps the paranoia, you should be aware that the hundred moderators there are almost all developers & artists themselves. They're not warez. They're trying to make money and grow their projects and clout. They literally have patreons in their signatures. They're like me, but on the dark side of things, less morals. Ever heard the expression no honor among thieves? So it's not asteroids flattening the city you should fear anyway...

Clipboard03.jpg

That's a very pretty chart, thank you! But did you ever hear about Life? E-Motion? Cue? All FREE, all by better developers, all trying to do things in a more open and professional way, all with larger audiences and out for longer. You might want to go and make a chart for Cue. That might illuminate you about how much the CoMmUNiTy respects and supports coders that waste HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours to make cool stuff for free for them.

But what do I know. You seem very convinced you know what you're talking about.

Yeah, but managing a store is time consuming, so there would be less time to work on the development of the game.

Also, it would create a big risk since a store could potentially lead to legal issues
stop worrying so much, it will be ok 🌞

Now, even forgiving the abominable customer care, I support anyone's right to be petty against people they feel have wronged them.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Please don't think like that, it's like supporting terrorism. What do you mean by abominable customer care?

Attachments

• Clipboard01556.jpg
    Clipboard01556.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
I have never ever paid for any content for VaM but that's because I am just starting my journey. Gotta say that whenever I am looking at hub I am closer and closer to paying for some content, especially plugins so advanced like Alive.

To be honest I would love to see some kind of DRM for paid content. This is just so wrong that someone creates something, decides to sell it (the business model doesn't matter) and then it's everywhere on the Internet just because there was no anti-piracy stuff. This at best case scenario can result in lower productivity of creator because of how much he has to fight with piracy (report them and so on) and at worst case scenario - completly abandoning his work.

A big thing you missed was the SPQR Fan Club: a bunch of 😭👶 grown ass men obsessing over me.

It wasn't a threat to make it. I DID MAKE IT. I even used it. I used it to shake the tree and line up some of the obsessed. At the end of April, with Alive v40, I used the watermark system. The drama of it being actually REAL triggered many of the obsessed to have a meltdown and REVOLT against me. There were tears and screaming all over my patreon comments sections. It was a very sad day for everyone. The sight of some revolting made most of the obsessed get out of their dormant mole-like state and join in. I waited and took names ^_^. The next day, 20 angry obssessed were refunded and banned. Shortly after that, I released the v40 without the DRM too and I haven't used the watermark system since.

That back then was NOT a war on piracy. It was a war on donkeys obsessed to get in the cabin and sleep on my lap. No donkeys aboard anymore, sorry. Too much maintenance.

They now have their little support group where they assemble to talk about me, cry over the trauma produced by me rejecting them, what SPQR should've done, what SPQR does, what SPQR will do, might do, could do. So they can continue doing what they love - talk about SPQR. Make pretty charts of SPQR. Talk about what about SPQR keeps them up at night. It's a generous gesture when you think about it. I gave up their support and adulation so that they get to talk among themselves about me and hopefully build beautiful long-lasting friendships over their common interest - ME. You're welcome.

How you doing @brasileirinho? fancy seeing you in a cancel-spqr thread.
I know you're a fan and since you're the smartest of that lot and very dear to me, here are some answer to some for your pressing concerns that you have in your life - which happen to be about SPQR. Please feel free to take the answers back and share them with others thirsty for this kind of information.

View attachment 295441

Don't worry. I'd NEVER do anything like that. Besides being an absurdly cartoony thought to give malware to a site with millions of users because of a few noobs.. you might be surprised to find out I never had anything against pirates. All it really takes to combat it is a wordpress site connected to the patreon api. I'm just too lazy and don't really think I'll be here long-term to bother with hosting. This ain't exactly worth the bother neither. So sleep tight. Nothing will ever happen to them.

But in case it helps the paranoia, you should be aware that the hundred moderators there are almost all developers & artists themselves. They're not warez. They're trying to make money and grow their projects and clout. They literally have patreons in their signatures. They're like me, but on the dark side of things, less morals. Ever heard the expression no honor among thieves? So it's not asteroids flattening the city you should fear anyway...

View attachment 295442

That's a very pretty chart, thank you! But did you ever hear about Life? E-Motion? Cue? All FREE, all by better developers, all trying to do things in a more open and professional way, all with larger audiences and out for longer. You might want to go and make a chart for Cue. That might illuminate you about how much the CoMmUNiTy respects and supports coders that waste HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours to make cool stuff for free for them.

But what do I know. You seem very convinced you know what you're talking about.

stop worrying so much, it will be ok 🌞

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Please don't think like that, it's like supporting terrorism. What do you mean by abominable customer care?

I do not have any of your plugins or content, you sound completely unhinged with a sense of entitlment and a demand for adulation ive seen in other posts that reminds me of skids from the 90's early 2000. we all just here for a wank, chill out.

I do not have any of your plugins or content, you sound completely unhinged with a sense of entitlment and a demand for adulation ive seen in other posts that reminds me of skids from the 90's early 2000. we all just here for a wank, chill out.

How is it a demand for adulation when I literally tell you donkeys that are obsessing over me to stop FOLLOWING ME and stop begging for my attention. Why do you keep following me and PARADING for me? I don't like you donkeys, I don't know in how many ways I need to say it. I never will. I'll never pet you.

1st post - hello I'm a long time lurker, i don't post
2nd post - snorefest
3rd post - ME and how you feel when you think of ME and how you can't jerk off because you're drawing parallels between ME and the old school modding scene that marked your youth

So what are you even talking about?

What are you even doing in this thread you random uninterested 3rd party lurker? Why are you not helping somebody? Saying 'thank you' to some creators? Reporting a bug, giving a review? How many reviews do you even have? A third of your posts are about how SPQR makes you feel when you think about SPQR posts that you follow even though you don't even use SPQR's plugins...

regina-george-mean-girls.gif

That's hilarious. you posted a meme of a massive narcissistic "I aM thE MaiN ChAraCter" characters. It'll probably go over your head.

- Some random uninterested 3rd party lurker.

That's hilarious. you posted a meme of a massive narcissistic "I aM thE MaiN ChAraCter" characters. It'll probably go over your head.

- Some random uninterested 3rd party lurker.

50% of your posts are about your feelings towards ME. In one of them you complain you can't wank off because you keep thinking of ME. In the other you try to do some weird stan-like inside-joke to build a connection to ME.

D
O B S E S S E D
N
K
E
Y

icegif-535.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom