VoiceControl

Plugins VoiceControl

Hey guys, I've been using this plugin with a scene. It works great! One thing I noticed that I could use help with: I notice that the plugin does not work if you close out of the VAM window and it waits til you re-open the VAM window before it says it works again.

So, I was in VR the other night and clicked my Window Mixed Reality home buttom (which just brings up a menu UI for various things including increasing Computer sound/volume. That's all I changed...but then when I tried to go back to the VAM window Voice Control wouldn't work. It's as if it didn't register that I had clicked back into the VAM window. When I tried to reload the Plugin it would just give me the message that the Plugin was disabled. Any idea why this error happened? And how to fix it when it happens? Thanks

Maybe you accidently turned off your microphone settings? Or switched microphone input settings? I am just guessing here.

Havning a weird issue with a Reverb G2.
Voice recogintion seems to only work if I'm NOT wearing the headset. I can hold it next to me and the commands will work, but ass son as I put it on, it stop working until I restart VAM. It can't be the heaset itself, microphone test and everything in Windows works fine. There is no error message or anything, the log just says that VoiceControl is ready. It's like the mic just turns off for no reason.
With the mic from a normal headset mic everything works just fine.

I've had it shut off once too for some reason. It's an issue either with the Plugin or with VAM I think and you basically will have to restart VAM

Is there a way to save/load presets of voice control settings from within the plugin?

From my understanding, now, and this is a huge defect; if there's an issue and you need to reload the plugin, it wipes all data.

I use Voice Control and love it. But now I have a problem. I used VC about two weeks ago, and then I was out of town for two weeks. My computer was off. I came back, started up my favorite scene and VC won't work. Here is the error I'm seeing.
Exception during LateRestore of plugin#0_VeeRifter.VoiceControl: UnityEngine.UnityException: Speech recognition is not supported on this machine.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer:INTERNAL_CALL_CreateFromKeywords (UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer,string[],UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.ConfidenceLevel,intptr&)
at UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer.CreateFromKeywords (System.String[] keywords, ConfidenceLevel minimumConfidence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.KeywordRecognizer..ctor (System.String[] keywords, ConfidenceLevel minimumConfidence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VeeRifter.VoiceControl.startRecognizer () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VeeRifter.VoiceControl.LateRestoreFromJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean setMissingToDefault) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Atom.LateRestore (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean restoreCore, Boolean isSubSceneRestore, Boolean setMissingToDefault, Boolean isTheSubSceneAtom) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Attempted to use GetFilesAtPath on a path that is not inside game directory. That is not allowed
!> Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at IEnumerableExtension.ToList[String] (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamSander.VideoController.ReadFilesAtPath (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamSander.VideoController.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

WTF? I have not updated or changed anything. I have restarted a few times now. No luck. This worked perfectly from the first time I ever used it and now it's not working at all.

I use Voice Control and love it. But now I have a problem. I used VC about two weeks ago, and then I was out of town for two weeks. My computer was off. I came back, started up my favorite scene and VC won't work. Here is the error I'm seeing.
Exception during LateRestore of plugin#0_VeeRifter.VoiceControl: UnityEngine.UnityException: Speech recognition is not supported on this machine.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer:INTERNAL_CALL_CreateFromKeywords (UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer,string[],UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.ConfidenceLevel,intptr&)
at UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.PhraseRecognizer.CreateFromKeywords (System.String[] keywords, ConfidenceLevel minimumConfidence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Windows.Speech.KeywordRecognizer..ctor (System.String[] keywords, ConfidenceLevel minimumConfidence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VeeRifter.VoiceControl.LateRestoreFromJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean setMissingToDefault) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Atom.LateRestore (SimpleJSON.JSONClass jc, Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance, Boolean restoreCore, Boolean isSubSceneRestore, Boolean setMissingToDefault, Boolean isTheSubSceneAtom) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Attempted to use GetFilesAtPath on a path that is not inside game directory. That is not allowed
!> Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at IEnumerableExtension.ToList[String] (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamSander.VideoController.ReadFilesAtPath (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamSander.VideoController.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

WTF? I have not updated or changed anything. I have restarted a few times now. No luck. This worked perfectly from the first time I ever used it and now it's not working at all.
Try downloading the plugin again, or an older version from the history? Just an idea.

Try downloading the plugin again, or an older version from the history? Just an idea.
Yeah, I downloaded it and strangely, when I found it on the hub in the game it did not show as already being in my library even though it is in there, and I've used it many times. There's a bunch of other stuff that's acting strangely, too. I don't know what happened.

Yeah, I downloaded it and strangely, when I found it on the hub in the game it did not show as already being in my library even though it is in there, and I've used it many times. There's a bunch of other stuff that's acting strangely, too. I don't know what happened.
Don't think your problem is with the plugin. Could be your VAM install has been corrupted somehow. Try creating a new scene and adding the plugin to a person atom (nothing fancy using sub-scenes) and see if that works. Or, failing that, try a fresh VAM install in a new folder if you have the free space, then copy your own stuff over if it proves to be OK.

Don't think your problem is with the plugin. Could be your VAM install has been corrupted somehow. Try creating a new scene and adding the plugin to a person atom (nothing fancy using sub-scenes) and see if that works. Or, failing that, try a fresh VAM install in a new folder if you have the free space, then copy your own stuff over if it proves to be OK.
I guess I'll try a new install, even though I am using an install I made fresh two weeks ago before I went out of town. I had made this new install and then downloaded the scene from the hub and tested it, and it worked perfectly. How and why would a fresh install of VAM get corrupted in two weeks on a computer that was completely off?

I guess I'll try a new install, even though I am using an install I made fresh two weeks ago before I went out of town. I had made this new install and then downloaded the scene from the hub and tested it, and it worked perfectly. How and why would a fresh install of VAM get corrupted in two weeks on a computer that was completely off?
Ok I did a fresh install of VAM, and then I downloaded Voice Control from the hub in the game. I opened the default creator scene with just the girl and three lights. I added the VC plugin to the girl and made a "lights on" command to turn on and off the front light. As soon as I clicked "done", this same error pops up:

!> Exception caught in Update(): UnityEngine.UnityException: Speech recognition is not supported on this machine.
at VeeRifter.VoiceControl.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Another odd thing is that I get a log window message that says the "lights on" command has been loaded:

Added new Voice Trigger "Lights on"
Command "Lights on" added from "Lights on"
Updating the command keyword list.

If I click out of Vam, I also see the message that Vam does not have focus and to click in Vam:

VAM window does not have focus
Click anywhere inside VAM's window to enable Voice Control

Finally, the VC plugin is stuck in "medium" confidence mode and I cannot change that mode.

Ok I did a fresh install of VAM, and then I downloaded Voice Control from the hub in the game. I opened the default creator scene with just the girl and three lights. I added the VC plugin to the girl and made a "lights on" command to turn on and off the front light. As soon as I clicked "done", this same error pops up:

!> Exception caught in Update(): UnityEngine.UnityException: Speech recognition is not supported on this machine.
at VeeRifter.VoiceControl.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Another odd thing is that I get a log window message that says the "lights on" command has been loaded:

Added new Voice Trigger "Lights on"
Command "Lights on" added from "Lights on"
Updating the command keyword list.

If I click out of Vam, I also see the message that Vam does not have focus and to click in Vam:

VAM window does not have focus
Click anywhere inside VAM's window to enable Voice Control

Finally, the VC plugin is stuck in "medium" confidence mode and I cannot change that mode.
Ok the issue was Windows update (KB5014666). I had installed that two weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I played VAM after the update, but it may have not fully taken effect until I had shutdown and restarted. Beware of that update.

Ok the issue was Windows update (KB5014666). I had installed that two weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I played VAM after the update, but it may have not fully taken effect until I had shutdown and restarted. Beware of that update.
Just installed KB5014666 on my PC (Windows 10 Pro 21H2) to confirm your issue. Did not experience any problems with the install and Voice control is still working fine afterwards. Strange one that.

Just installed KB5014666 on my PC (Windows 10 Pro 21H2) to confirm your issue. Did not experience any problems with the install and Voice control is still working fine afterwards. Strange one that.
That is weird. Maybe I will try the update again.

Havning a weird issue with a Reverb G2.
Voice recogintion seems to only work if I'm NOT wearing the headset. I can hold it next to me and the commands will work, but ass son as I put it on, it stop working until I restart VAM. It can't be the heaset itself, microphone test and everything in Windows works fine. There is no error message or anything, the log just says that VoiceControl is ready. It's like the mic just turns off for no reason.
With the mic from a normal headset mic everything works just fine.

Same issue, here. I can use the addon with any type of input. But when I am in VR wearing the headset I can't issue a damn command, that triggers. Can someone look into the issue? If you need data, I am happy to provide. By the way, this is a spectacular plugin.

Same issue, here. I can use the addon with any type of input. But when I am in VR wearing the headset I can't issue a damn command, that triggers. Can someone look into the issue? If you need data, I am happy to provide. By the way, this is a spectacular plugin.
Sorry you're experiencing problems with the plugin. I have an Oculus Rift S myself and never had any issues. If you want to buy me a Reverb G2 maybe I'll take a look at it. :)

Sorry you're experiencing problems with the plugin. I have an Oculus Rift S myself and never had any issues. If you want to buy me a Reverb G2 maybe I'll take a look at it. :)

Is it possible, that the wonderful Windows Mixed Reality is the problem? Iknow there are workarounds how to open VAM without WMR, I will try to do it and do the test.

Is it possible, that the wonderful Windows Mixed Reality is the problem? Iknow there are workarounds how to open VAM without WMR, I will try to do it and do the test.
Yes, WMR could be the source of the problem, as could SteamVR. Oculus Rift S doesn't require either of these to operate.

Last edited:
I just tried to set up a voice command system using Voice Control. It shows my headset mic as the default mic. I created a trigger which is supposed to recognize a small phrase. VC recognizes the trigger. The trigger is supposed to trigger a voice clip from Audiomate. The clip plays fine in Audiomate. But when I speak the phrase, nothing happens. There is no feedback from VC that the phrase is even heard. I have set up whole conversations with both VC and Audiomate in other scenes and while the scene is active, it works fine. But when leave the scene and later reload it, VC no longer works. Even though Audiomate is still in the same plugin position and none of the clips have changed. This plug sometimes just doesn't hear the microphone.

One strange thing is that VC retains the triggers I set up, except for the 2d one. That one is never retained for some reason. It's no different than any of the others, but VC just won't retain the trigger data. And even though the data in the other triggers is the same, it doesn't play.
I know the issue is not my mic because I have the same problem in VR with my Quest 2.

I just tried to set up a voice command system using Voice Control. It shows my headset mic as the default mic. I created a trigger which is supposed to recognize a small phrase. VC recognizes the trigger. The trigger is supposed to trigger a voice clip from Audiomate. The clip plays fine in Audiomate. But when I speak the phrase, nothing happens. There is no feedback from VC that the phrase is even heard. I have set up whole conversations with both VC and Audiomate in other scenes and while the scene is active, it works fine. But when leave the scene and later reload it, VC no longer works. Even though Audiomate is still in the same plugin position and none of the clips have changed. This plug sometimes just doesn't hear the microphone.

One strange thing is that VC retains the triggers I set up, except for the 2d one. That one is never retained for some reason. It's no different than any of the others, but VC just won't retain the trigger data. And even though the data in the other triggers is the same, it doesn't play.
I know the issue is not my mic because I have the same problem in VR with my Quest 2.
Try MacGruber's SpeechRecognition Maybe you will have better success with that.

did you ever try to add support for other languages? I've tried to work with KeywordRecognizer but it fails to allow setting up other language than English ...

Back
Top Bottom