Question Various questions about VAM's performance.

NSFV

Reactions
Firstly, I am only using VAM in Desktop mode. I have no plans to use it in VR.
I have an RTX 3090, 64 GB RAM and Ryzen 9 5950X. My pagefile is set to 20000 MB.
My VAM settings are as here:
1711023070553.png

Right now, I am running a scene with 3 female models. 2 with soft body physics off, and 1 with them on. Only 2 of them have hair. There are no animations, just figures standing still. I have 3 lights in the scene, all have shadow resolution set to low.

My Task Manager is reporting 30% CPU, 44% Memory and 82% GPU.

I am getting between 30-35 FPS in VAM, which increases to 40-41 when I turn off the UI.

So, despite VAM not even utilizing most of my hardware, my FPS is still quite low. Is this caused primarily by my CPU?
Are there any out of VAM settings (NVIDIA Control Panel or Windows) that I can change to squeeze out some additional FPS?
Is there anything I can do beyond reducing the quality of the models/hair/clothing?
Do I have some settings in VAM set incorrectly for using in Desktop?

I don't quite understand the Physics Rate/Physics Update Cap settings. I noticed better quality when Physics Update Cap is set higher. Is there a way to keep it at 1, but change other settings to keep it more consistent?

I'd love to do more complex scenes in VAM. For my purposes (recording video), I can deal with going as low as 30 fps. But my fear is more with issues like inconsistent physics or stuttering that might be caused by VAM being bottle necked.

Edit: I am looking into various threads on performance, but it's a lot of different information and it's all very machine specific. Also, most of it applies to VR. I am only interested in running in Desktop mode.

I am going to look into packaging my scenes and then moving them over to an empty version of VAM and only moving the requirements to see if I can get much better performance.

Last edited:
I just noticed this thread, which has a lot of information.

Upvote 0
I've installed this Performance Patch and set it for my CPU, but I'm not getting any significant increase in FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your GPU is not at nearly 100%, your bottleneck is your CPU. That simple. In your case single thread performance/not all cores can be used. Multithread has no impact on VaM 1.0, so to say.

Upvote 0
I was afraid of this. Guess I'll just have to deal with it as making minor tweaks (reducing physics, hair, clothing, windows) is only making the smallest difference. Like 1-2 FPS.

Upvote 0
3 females creates heavy load on your CPU physics calculation. I have a 13900K and 2 females is already creating a bottleneck on my CPU.

Upvote 1
3 females creates heavy load on your CPU physics calculation. I have a 13900K and 2 females is already creating a bottleneck on my CPU.
Basically this. 2 girls is pushing it, even for the most high end consumer CPUs. You can help bump your FPS by jacking up the spring rates of the girls' breast and glute physics. If your scene doesn't include interactions with your girls' asses, you can turn glute physics off all together, this will save you a ton of FPS

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom