VAMStory
Fair enough! I guess I mixed up plugins that don't have any "assets" included vs ones that do like VaMStory.

Personally in the past, when trying to "update" certain plugins that do not have such assets included (I dare say 95% of the plugins I use), they are almost always able to run seperate versions of the plugins instance next to each other in the same scene.
[...]

Yes, of course, if you don't have potential issues making plugins with different versions "live" in the same scene. That works.
But this is also tied to the way your work.

Even before making bigger plugins that included assets, I always used the automatic var system by removing the old versions. On top of that, I never, ever auto-download everything. I grab the dependencies manually when needed and I know what I'm using and which plugin I should update or not.
This ease the process because you don't need presets, you just need to auto-update the thingy : )

While I agree in the general sense, for people that have (allot) of scenes collected, either as .var files or as local /saves/scene/.json files you are forced to use method 2, described in that tutorial link you posted.

And even then, you cannot change the dependacy list of a .var file (Unless you manually dive into every single one with a text editor).

The reason I mentioned this is solely because of this simple button which gets recommended by about 90% of all vam scene appearance/scene creators to use oocasionally.

Nope. You don't need to update the files... VAM does the work automatically. But as you mention, IF and only IF you don't download everything blindly. You can do both, you just eventually need to spent a bit more time managing your content.

But you are right, the "latest" flag depends on what the creator does on the scene level. Since pretty much no one understands how it works... you end up having scenes requiring the old versions.

The reason why not going latest automatically is simply because meshed is clever: he knows that only a thin margin of devs will preserve legacy features/behaviors. If a plugin has any breaking changes in version 10, your scenes using the version 1 to 9 could be buggy af OR miss some original content that is not in version 10 or above.

This is a compatibility choice made to ensure you can play your scenes properly.
Ensuring legacy compatibility requires attention to detail and more work. And you're in a community which is weirdly in between a modding community and a game dev community. And a lot (to not say a majority) don't have game dev experience OR don't have the dev experience/patience/time/will/organization to keep a stable plugin over a lot of versions.

Hence that versioning system : )

Ooooooh... ? now I see...

I think I'll have to rebuild my scenes from zero. Thank you. :cry:

I removed all instances of VamStoryActions from a scene and then created an empty atom and added it and get this error. It doesn't show the starting button when you load it in usually and is hidden/can't see it. I then try to restore from a backup and nothing loads.

!> Error during attempt to load assetbundle hazmhox.vamstory.29:/Custom/Scripts/VAMStory/vamstory_assets.uibundle. Not valid
!> VAMStory - Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at VAMStoryActionPlugin.VAMStoryAction.OnBundleLoaded (MeshVR.AssetBundleFromFileRequest aRequest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Error during attempt to load assetbundle hazmhox.vamstory.29:/Custom/Scripts/VAMStory/vamstory_assets.uibundle. Not valid
!> VAMStory - Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at VAMStoryActionPlugin.VAMStoryAction.OnBundleLoaded (MeshVR.AssetBundleFromFileRequest aRequest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is it possible to edit the script files to somehow disable the autosave option?

I can understand how you wouldn't want to edit your main release of VaMstory, but I occasionally get a VaM crash/freeze/issue in one of my scenes that is very vam story heavy and essentially does this save for 30+ vamstory instances.

I make regular scene backups so actual vamstory backups are not required for me.

Sadly my scripting knowledge is limited and I currently am a bit lost as to where exactly in the .cs files this auto save function gets executed every 10 minutes (I wanted to try to change the 10 minutes to 10 hours).

Is it possible to edit the script files to somehow disable the autosave option?

I can understand how you wouldn't want to edit your main release of VaMstory, but I occasionally get a VaM crash/freeze/issue in one of my scenes that is very vam story heavy and essentially does this save for 30+ vamstory instances.

I make regular scene backups so actual vamstory backups are not required for me.

Sadly my scripting knowledge is limited and I currently am a bit lost as to where exactly in the .cs files this auto save function gets executed every 10 minutes (I wanted to try to change the 10 minutes to 10 hours).
It's something that @hazmhox doesn't approve, but I have the same need, so here it is:
  1. Open the VAR with winrar or whatever you use
  2. Go to Custom\Scripts\VAMStory\src\
  3. Open the various cs files and search for AutoBackup()
    1. In one of the results you'll see underneat a line with WaitForSeconds(some seconds)
    2. Add more zeros in the seconds
  4. Save the changes
Naturally, if you update VAMStory you'll need to do that for the new version.

It's something that @hazmhox doesn't approve, but I have the same need, so here it is:
  1. Open the VAR with winrar or whatever you use
  2. Go to Custom\Scripts\VAMStory\src\
  3. Open the various cs files and search for AutoBackup()
    1. In one of the results you'll see underneat a line with WaitForSeconds(some seconds)
    2. Add more zeros in the seconds
  4. Save the changes
Naturally, if you update VAMStory you'll need to do that for the new version.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks allot!

how to fix it? the menu is missing. reinstalling did not help.
1720536387399.png

I really like the AppearanceSwapper but I have one request/improvement: Pleas make "Current Directory" Structure similar to standard "Appearance Presets" menu. See picture (easier than trying to explain).
1721333308827.png

I really like the AppearanceSwapper but I have one request/improvement: Pleas make "Current Directory" Structure similar to standard "Appearance Presets" menu. See picture (easier than trying to explain).

That's a side effect of keeping the "last folder", i'm trying to figure out how to fix this since a while now.

you simply need to click one of the main folders in the green column on the left, which is not as ideal as moving through the selected path, but that's at least better than nothing.

If I find a solution to improve that, it'll be fixed : )

That's a side effect of keeping the "last folder", i'm trying to figure out how to fix this since a while now.

you simply need to click one of the main folders in the green column on the left, which is not as ideal as moving through the selected path, but that's at least better than nothing.

If I find a solution to improve that, it'll be fixed : )
Understood. That "last folder" feature is definitely more useful than any hier traverse ability.
Thanks again. Appearance Swapper is a very useful tool and hopefully will start showing up in tons of scenes.

I ran across another issue. In the HZM Demo, the AppearanceSwapper UI doesn't work for me in VR mode (using Index controllers). Nothing in the window responds to the pointer. Cancel button, folder change, etc. aren't selectable so I can't even close the UI once it's open. Only the SwapperUI01 Empty atom ever selects when I try to click in the middle of the UI window.
Maybe it's an Index only thing? Can you confirm that the tool works with other VR controllers?

Maybe this was already asked, or perhaps I should already know, but I'm often the smallest branch on the brain tree - can I delete all the older vamstory plugins and have content created from the older versions still work on the latest, vision 29, or should I keep older versions for compatibility?

Thanks, my vam brotha's!

Maybe this was already asked, or perhaps I should already know, but I'm often the smallest branch on the brain tree - can I delete all the older vamstory plugins and have content created from the older versions still work on the latest, vision 29, or should I keep older versions for compatibility?

Thanks, my vam brotha's!

Np : )
Yes VAMS supports all the legacy content! YYou can keep only the most recent one.

I ran across another issue. In the HZM Demo, the AppearanceSwapper UI doesn't work for me in VR mode (using Index controllers). Nothing in the window responds to the pointer. Cancel button, folder change, etc. aren't selectable so I can't even close the UI once it's open. Only the SwapperUI01 Empty atom ever selects when I try to click in the middle of the UI window.
Maybe it's an Index only thing? Can you confirm that the tool works with other VR controllers?

Not that I'm aware of, tested with Vive 1, Oculus and WMR. I'll ask if someone has an Index.
I don't think the controller plays a role here, this is very strange.

I'll keep you posted.

Is there a way to lock the VamStoryAction buttons in place in the bottom right corner of VAM regardless on if you zoom/in out? Similar to how in desktop mode you can zoom in and out and the main VAM UI is locked in place flat in the bottom left corner at that set size?

I was using CanvasButton plugin to do this on desktop mode and then loaded it in VR mode to find out it doesn't work in VR and asking others they confirmed it does not work in VR.

So now I am looking at creating another alternative set of UI buttons just for VR in VamStory.

I added a slider in VamStoryActions to adjust morphs on a futa model and it does not adjust the morph.

I use the same trigger in CanvasButton and it is working but they don't support VR/work well in VR. So I am trying to migrate the buttons to VamStory for VR mode. Is there a way to use a UI slider to control Futa morphs in VamStoryActions?

I added a slider in VamStoryActions to adjust morphs on a futa model and it does not adjust the morph.

I use the same trigger in CanvasButton and it is working but they don't support VR/work well in VR. So I am trying to migrate the buttons to VamStory for VR mode. Is there a way to use a UI slider to control Futa morphs in VamStoryActions?
Maybe you were in Frozen mode and that's the reason the Actions slider didn't work?

Maybe you were in Frozen mode and that's the reason the Actions slider didn't work?

No I checked and it was active. I tried it with CanvasButton and it worked and then went back to VamStoryAction and it didn't work. Copy/pasted the same trigger. I thought maybe it was that morph so I tried another not on Canvas and it didn't work either for the futa model. It could be that it doesn't recognize the male morph conversion or recognize the male morphs.

The trigger system is the same, so maybe on Story's side? There's two sliders, btw, which one are you using?
I use Story sliders (thin ones) to adjust some morphs, male included, so they work. No idea why it didn't with yours.

Back
Top Bottom