Vamos

Plugins Vamos

via5

Reactions
via5 submitted a new resource:

Vamos - Drag&drop var files to open scenes, auto UI scale for multiple monitors. A BepInEx plugin

Introduction
Vamos is a BepInEx plugin. It adds functionality to Virt-a-Mate that would otherwise be impossible from a regular script.

Installation
  1. Download the last BepInEx 5.x release (currently 5.4.21).
  2. Extract the zip into the VaM folder. There should be a file...

Read more about this resource...

@VL_13 I'm replying here because answers are limited in reviews.

Is there a way to shrink UI in VR mode?

No, I didn't think of what happens in VR to be honest, this is just something I put together in an afternoon. I can add a scaling for VR in the options, I'm just not sure what would happen if you have VR and desktop mirror active at the same time.

Does this autoload resources referenced in the scene-json? (Eg from a designated repository outside the VaM_Root folder).

Otherwise ... I'm a bit confused what the usecase is for this? (Don't want to diss your work, just genuinely confused)

Does this autoload resources referenced in the scene-json? (Eg from a designated repository outside the VaM_Root folder).

I don't understand what that means. It's the equivalent of clicking "Open Scene", navigating to the var file and opening the .json file that's in it.

Otherwise ... I'm a bit confused what the usecase is for this?

I often accumulate a bunch of var files in AddonPackages that I need to check out. Opening them manually in VaM is a pain because browsing 5000 var files is really slow (1.20 made it fast, but I now I need to search for it, which is also slow). I just drag&drop the var file and any scene inside opens.

I don't understand what that means. It's the equivalent of clicking "Open Scene", navigating to the var file and opening the .json file that's in it.

Ah, ok. Sorry, my bad - I was thinking you were trying to implement smth like a "drag&drop varmanager" - I think there's even one BepinEx-based varmanager currently hosted on the Hub?

I often accumulate a bunch of var files in AddonPackages that I need to check out. Opening them manually in VaM is a pain because browsing 5000 var files is really slow (1.20 made it fast, but I now I need to search for it, which is also slow). I just drag&drop the var file and any scene inside opens.

For ingame-browsing, there's nothing better than JayJayWon's BrowserAssist (here on the Hub)- just give the free version a spin. Tagging system, powerfull search options, "flat" browsing for .vars and "real filepath" browsing for local files, WAY faster than VaM 1.22.7.13 filebrowser, continuous updates, new features every fortnite - You'll never go back to VaM's native browser after trying BA.

As to "5000 vars":

Hmmmh - that's a bit much. I use feelfar's varmanager to mitigate my hoarding tendencies, but I try to stay below 4000 active ,vars (actually, best would be 2.500 in my experience - haven't tested the new 1.22.04 version of VaM, though). Advantage is that it moves all your vars into a repo-directory outside VaM_Root & then creates softlinks in AddonPackages for those vars you want linked (faster than moving & doesn't cut down the lifetime of your precious nvme).

And you can define "archive presets" that can be swapped in under 10 seconds - So you can eg have one "looks archive" where you have only looks, another for "scenes" etc. That way you always have only the vars you really need for your current session - if you want to tinker with looks in one session, load the first preset. If you want to have "quality time" load the second.

AND it automatically adds all referenced resources your scene/look requires. And it has a built-in Hub-browser to support easy updating etc.

Last edited:
For ingame-browsing, there's nothing better than JayJayWon's BrowserAssist

I'm not a fan. It can't sort by file modification date and its support for subdirectories is so-so, it's slow to open and sorts names starting with an underscore last, for whatever reason. It just doesn't work well with my workflow.

I use feelfar's varmanager to mitigate my hoarding tendencies

I think I had a look a while ago, I didn't really understand how it worked. I probably should check it out again, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not a fan. It can't sort by file modification date and its support for subdirectories is so-so, it's slow to open and sorts names starting with an underscore last, for whatever reason. It just doesn't work well with my workflow.

Ummmmh - sure you checked the latest version? JJW updates BA at a very rapid pace (not quite "AcidBubbles on Adderall"-tempo, but ... really dedicated to the project)

* File modification date - Errrr, it does? (There were some hickups with sorting, but JJW sorted that out a couple weeks ago)
* Support for subdirectories - subdirs in AddonPackages? Haven't used elaborate subdir structures in AddonPackages for a while - that's what the tagging system is meant to do?

Subdirs in local files are supported?

* Names starting with underscores: Hmmmmh - sounds like smth that JJW could add fairly easily (and he's really fast about adding requested features), but only patreons can make feature-requests.

"No arguing about taste", though - as you might be able to tell, I'm a fan & long-time subscriber, but if it doesn't support your preferred workflow, I see your point.

I think I had a look a while ago, I didn't really understand how it worked. I probably should check it out again, thanks for the suggestion.

FYI - I'm talking about Feelfar's varmanager, not the one on the Hub. (https://github.com/feelfar/varManager)

Note:

1) CAUTION! It will move ALL your vars into a repo-directory & sort them into subdirs by creatorname. If you have an elaborate folderstructure in AddonPackages - that will be empty afterwards!

There's an option whereby you can re-create that folderstructure afterwards - but that might take some work.

2) There's no documentation, but A LOT more options than the simplistic GUI suggests. Everything I know I figured out from tooltips & experimentation. If you decide give it a try, feel free to shoot me a PM.

File modification date - Errrr, it does?

My understanding is that it can sort by the date the var was first seen by BA, not the var's modification date on disk. Since I just added the plugin, all my vars have the same date, and so are sorted alphabetically, which is not useful to me.

Support for subdirectories - subdirs in AddonPackages? [...] Subdirs in local files are supported?

Subdirectories in Scene/. I check all the var files I have manually (now with drag&drop, saves me a lot of time). If there's an appearance I like, I save it as a preset. If there's a more complex scene I like, I save it as a scene in my own directory, which has an extensive hierarchy. I don't typically use the var files themselves after that, but I have to keep them because of references.

It looks like a cool var browser, but subdirectories are a bit second-class. I wish it had a tree on the side with folders, then I could probably use it.

Names starting with underscores: Hmmmmh

I specifically named my scene folder _vam so it's sorted first alphabetically, but the subfolder button shows it last. It's just a bit meh.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, fast and pretty, but it doesn't really work for me.

I'm talking about Feelfar's varmanager, not the one on the Hub. (https://github.com/feelfar/varManager) [...] If you decide give it a try, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Appreciate it, I'll have a look.

Ok, you should REALLY check the newest version (caveat: Talking about the latest PATREON version - no idea about the state of the freeone)

My understanding is that it can sort by the date the var was first seen by BA, not the var's modification date on disk. Since I just added the plugin, all my vars have the same date, and so are sorted alphabetically, which is not useful to me.

Ok, that was changed AGES ago - BA now additionally scans VaM's own metadata located in Vam_Root\Cache\PackageJSON\... to supplement the timestamp-data in its own database. I clearly remember bcs I had a convo with JJW about some concerns I had about that.

Subdirectories in Scene/. I check all the var files I have manually (now with drag&drop, saves me a lot of time). If there's an appearance I like, I save it as a preset. If there's a more complex scene I like, I save it as a scene in my own directory, which has an extensive hierarchy. I don't typically use the var files themselves after that, but I have to keep them because of references.

It looks like a cool var browser, but subdirectories are a bit second-class. I wish it had a tree on the side with folders, then I could probably use it.

Errrrh - it totally DOES have an (expandable) tree-view for local files/folders? Click button, treeview pops out left of the main GUI, click again, it vanishes.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, fast and pretty, but it doesn't really work for me.

Don't get ME wrong - If it doesn't work for you, I totally understand (and I'm not getting paid by JJW). But your description sounds to me like your info is WAY outdated.

Appreciate it, I'll have a look.

Ta

Back
Top Bottom