Won't fix VAM is superduper slow

mateavirt

Reactions
I have a monster of a pc, and VAM is super-slow with loading and changing scenes, while some assets are detailed, it looks like there is a problem with loading asynchronously and which is a known problem with some unity versions.

I've read up a bit, and it looks like VAM is having these exact problems:
https://forum.unity.com/threads/extremely-slow-loading.856513/

I don't want to be a know it all and i don't know if this is the problem: LoadAssetAsync looks broken in some cases with unity (and with VAM).

This is a solution from the unity Forums:
"FYI I tried the SyncAddressables Providers examples from the Copenhagen talk, but didn't see a huge improvement. As far as I can tell the slowdown is probably in some sort of polling background code in ResourceManager maybe (but that code isn't accessible so I'm SOL there).

Anyways, I stuck an interface in front of my LoadAssetAsync class and wrote a class underneath which just uses Resources.Load, and my loading times are back to normal again (milliseconds instead of seconds)."

This is looks like an actual doable solution, i'm a programmer but haven't done much with Unity yet, but i can look into it if you don't have the time.

VaM is using Unity 2018.1 currently and cannot move to newer versions of Unity. 2.X will move to new version of Unity and new prefab system. The problem described in the link is not the issue with VaM. Addressables are not even available in Unity 2018.1 so they are not used in VaM.

VaM can take a bit to load 1st scene when a new person atom is created. The person atom prefab is quite heavyweight so it does take some time to load. After the 1st scene, that Person prefab is reused for maximum speed. Also, the 1st time you load custom textures, it will make a cache file for them (if you have image caching on) which can take a bit of time to load the 1st time. After load of additional scenes or future reloads of the same scene, the cached files will be used and load times should be quite short even on a new session of VaM as it will use the cached files.

In any case, what you are describing is not something that will be looked at in any more detail in 1.X. And 2.X will use a completely new asset system so this won't apply.

Back
Top Bottom