• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Answered VaM 1.20 to 2.0 compatibility

ClubJulze

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
clubjulze
Is there any word on whether content in the current version of VaM is going to compatible/importable/convertible to VaM 2.0? It would be very awesome if that were the case. I don't mind doing a couple hours worth of work to convert scenes from one to the other.

I do suppose for me, I can export BVH animations from the current version of VaM and import them to 2.0, so it's actually not that much more work to build everything else from the ground up. My scenes are purposefully minimalist.

Unfortunately there will be almost no compatibility between 1.X and 2.X. 2.X will be based on DAZ Genesis 8 as a starting point (1.X is Genesis 2), and the rig (joints) and skin mesh/UV/textures are all different. In addition Genesis 2 clothing won't generally fit Genesis 8 figures due to change in rest pose and minor changes to base figure dimensions. Some sim hair might be able to port with tweaks to the scalps, but I'm also looking to improve this so can't yet guarantee compatibility.

I'm also upgrading from very old Unity 2018.1 in 1.X to Unity 2020+ in 2.X and moving to a completely new rendering and materials system. This will bring much better looking and more capable graphics, but at the cost that existing materials in 1.X won't have a direct migration path.

I'm using a similar params system in 2.X, but with improvements for animation, undo/redo support, and a different UI hookup system. Param names, uids, and parents are also going to be completely reorganized to make more logical sense and will be getting a search and filter system.

The 2.X animation system is being redone as well. Mocap via trackers will still be supported, but the underlying engine will be different to support tracks, patterns, editing, and improved storage (faster save/load).

Plugins will be getting a proper API, and any of the the existing plugins that are digging deep into VaM code will likely not port easily.

This probably all sounds like bad news, but my feeling it is time to break free of 1.X chains and fix a lot of the core issues and also leap into more modern technologies (Unity HDRP and DOTS). That requires breaking backwards compatibility.

Upvote 0
It's a shame it will be this way, but at least it's something I know about and be prepared for when the time comes. The day 2.x comes out I will likely stop creating any content for 1.x. I completely understand why this will be the case, it's just something that was good to know so I can be prepared for the future. Thanks for being upfront.

Julze and I also wouldn't mind creating release content for 2.0 if you are going to be looking for that in the future, stuff that we would gladly hand over the rights to.

Upvote 0
One thing to keep in mind is early versions of 2.X are not going to have all I have described here. As an example, I would envision the 1st release of 2.X will be a simple poser, with no physics and no animation. It will just be showing off new G8 mesh, HDRP materials and shaders, advanced morphs, advanced skinning, smoothing, interaction system (posing/control), improved params system, new save/load system, and possibly the 1st pass of the plugin API. Now that I have listed all that, it is quite a lot. After that the priority turns to physics, clothing/hair sim, and animation. I plan to release alphas as I go.

Eventually I will be looking for sponsoring content to show off 2.X, so thanks for the offer! 1.X still has a long life while the 2.X transition happens. I have a couple other team members continuing to work on 1.X while I dig into 2.X after 1.20.

Upvote 0
Though, this is absolute understandable and 100% OK, I fear this will be a big disappointment for many users and maybe confusing if you have "old stuff" and "new stuff" floating around the net. I am saying this, because now it is the time of early development and later it might be too late: Like you know, there are some ways to use "legacy stuff" in DAZ, like selectable UV-maps, so you can use female textures on male or V4 on V6, or scripts to convert poses, or auto-fitting clothes from M4 to V7, and stuff like this. I know this is not very accurate and G8 is an other pair of shoes, even compared to G3... But if you maybe keep this in the back of your mind while developing, you maybe find a solution to add converters like this, whereas later in the process it might be too complicated. This would maximise the amount of usable DAZ stuff, too.

Upvote 0
@meshedvr Will the base appearance/look, minus the skin/hair/clothing port across? ie. the physical attributes of the model?

Upvote 0
@meshedvr Will the base appearance/look, minus the skin/hair/clothing port across? ie. the physical attributes of the model?
Unfortunately no. There are all new shaders in 2.X which means all the material parameters will have different names. Genesis 8 morphs are not going to be the same as Genesis 2 morphs either. And lastly, I'm redoing all the parameter names in 2.X for better organization so they can be easier to find for triggers.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately no. There are all new shaders in 2.X which means all the material parameters will have different names. Genesis 8 morphs are not going to be the same as Genesis 2 morphs either. And lastly, I'm redoing all the parameter names in 2.X for better organization so they can be easier to find for triggers.

Will we be able to directly import Genesis 8 Daz3d characters in v2? Seems like a great way to have content available on day one.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom