Urgent help! New to VAM, purchased a bunch of files and they didn't work

Satoshikoli

Reactions
First time using VAM, I purchased a bunch of files on partron, some are rar, some are zip. I thought I could simply change the suffix, but when I changed the .zip/.rar to .var and then put it into “AddonPackages”, VAM couldn't find the file and it didn't work. What should I do? Looking forward to a reply from a genius.

Only put ".var" in your "AddonPackages" folder. Anything else won't work.

Open the zip or rar, they'll probably include a var: extract it and put it in the AddonPackages folder.

If there is not, it means that the creators are directly providing the files (which is not good practice, but will be the case for old resources). Ask the creator for instructions if they are not provided.
If there is a "Custom" and/or "Save" folder, just extract them directly at VAM root.

Only put ".var" in your "AddonPackages" folder. Anything else won't work.

Open the zip or rar, they'll probably include a var: extract it and put it in the AddonPackages folder.

If there is not, it means that the creators are directly providing the files (which is not good practice, but will be the case for old resources). Ask the creator for instructions if they are not provided.
If there is a "Custom" and/or "Save" folder, just extract them directly at VAM root.
Thanks reply! But I find .json document, where I should put it in? ( and what is .json document?)

JSON is the file used to store or exchange data. It's the way we used to exchange looks and scenes before VAR came about. JSONs are now found inside the VAR file. You could have unzipped a file meant to be a VAR not a RAR or a ZIP (sometimes they are downloaded like that). Like ZRSX suggested you should ask the creator you purchased the files from

If you purchased a scene meant to be unzipped to a JSON it should go in the Scene folder located in the Saves folder in your VAM install. If it's a look it could go in there or the Looks folder in Saves.

JSON is the file used to store or exchange data. It's the way we used to exchange looks and scenes before VAR came about. JSONs are now found inside the VAR file. You could have unzipped a file meant to be a VAR not a RAR or a ZIP (sometimes they are downloaded like that). Like ZRSX suggested you should ask the creator you purchased the files from

If you purchased a scene meant to be unzipped to a JSON it should go in the Scene folder located in the Saves folder in your VAM install. If it's a look it could go in there or the Looks folder in Saves.
Thank you for your answer. By the way, why can't I just change the .zip to .var and why is it not recognized by the system? What is the missing step?

If it was meant to be a VAR file you can change it but some creators still use the old way of saving files (JSON & JPG zipped).

Just for awareness, there is an issue where some browser configurations cause VAR files downloaded to be magically renamed to ZIP or RAR. Its a combination of bad browser defaults and clueless admins running the Patreon servers, nothing VaM creators can do about it, except raising awareness. Just renaming the VAR file is fine, assuming it IS actually a VAR file. More details here:

Back
Top Bottom